"De-barking"...

Steff

http://www.helpinganimals.com/h-mut-debark.html

Are Your Neighbors Barking Mad?

Don't wait for a visit from animal control, a court summons, or-worst of all-for frustrated neighbors to strike before you solve your dog's barking problem. PETA's caseworkers are flooded with calls from people who have been ordered to subject their dog to a cruel surgery of convenience, called "debarking," as a means to try to remedy their excessive barking. But barking is a dog's means of communicating many feelings-fear, frustration, pain, boredom, or even happiness. This cruel procedure strips dogs of their natural ability to vocalize and communicate. Depriving them of their primary means of expression is unjustifiably cruel.

Debarking, or devocalization, is an invasive surgical procedure that involves removing a large amount of laryngeal tissue. It involves a great deal of pain post-operatively. Because this procedure is superfluous and inherently cruel, many veterinarians condemn and refuse to perform it.

You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks!

If your dog has a barking problem, don't accept debarking as a solution. Instead, deal with the problem for what it is: a symptom of boredom and loneliness! There are lots of simple and effective solutions:

Most importantly, if your dog spends all day outdoors alone in a yard, bring him or her inside to become part of the family, where companion animals belong!

Call your local humane society for a referral to a humane trainer, animal behaviorist or helpful veterinarian, and never attempt to use shock collars as a solution. Click here for more information on humane training methods.

Ask your vet or local humane society to refer you to a dog walker, doggie daycare center, or dog park, where dogs can talk all they want.

If you have been ordered by the court to either debark or euthanize your dog or move, you probably need to hire a lawyer.

Raise awareness about cruel debarking by writing a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.

Back in 1994 my family bought an alaskan malamute puppy from a breeder near Rockford. We visited them a few times to pick the puppy from the litter(you had to have a deposit on the puppy before birth) and socialize ourselves with her until she was able to come home with us at 8 weeks. There was probably close to 50 breeding dogs on site, and every single one of them had that surgery because of a court order to do so.

These people had lived at their house for more than 25 years when a new subdivision went up, and the main street into the subdivision was basically right across the street from the breeder's house. New neighbors moved in, and instantly they started complaining. It escalated until the neighbors took these people to court and got a noise ordinance placed on these people, which subsequently forced them to "de-bark" all of their dogs.

Now knowing my Malamute, I know that these ARE loud and talkative dogs. If anyone here has owned a Malamute, you would know that they dont bark like regular dogs, they make "woo woo" sounds more than a normal bark. But walking through their kennels, and listening to every one of those poor dogs hoarse, weak attempt to bark really broke my heart. It sounded like someone dropped a hot coal on their vocal chords and just let them deal with it.

I would never do that to my dogs, absolutely never.

I just found out about this and it is horrible. Luckily, my dog never barks but even if she did, I wouldn't do such a cruel thing! But, there is a way to de-bark a dog without hurting it. They simply give the dog anastescia (sp) then poke holes in the dog's voice pipe. The surgery doesn't completely stop them from barking but instead, it makes it less loud. I still wouldn't do either.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
But, there is a way to de-bark a dog without hurting it. They simply give the dog anastescia (sp) then poke holes in the dog's voice pipe.

I am fairly sure this is the same thing. The pain doesnt come until after the surgery, when the dog attempts to bark. When you "poke holes" in the throat, anywhere, scar tissue develops. But dogs dont know they have to stay quiet to let the scar tissue heal and to quit aggravating it. They bark and repeatedly injure their throats. Its actually really cruel any way about it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
Back in 1994 my family bought an alaskan malamute puppy from a breeder near Rockford.  We visited them a few times to pick the puppy from the litter(you had to have a deposit on the puppy before birth) and socialize ourselves with her until she was able to come home with us at 8 weeks.  There was probably close to 50 breeding dogs on site, and every single one of them had that surgery because of a court order to do so. 

These people had lived at their house for more than 25 years when a new subdivision went up, and the main street into the subdivision was basically right across the street from the breeder's house.  New neighbors moved in, and instantly they started complaining.  It escalated until the neighbors took these people to court and got a noise ordinance placed on these people, which subsequently forced them to "de-bark" all of their dogs. 

Now knowing my Malamute, I know that these ARE loud and talkative dogs. If anyone here has owned a Malamute, you would know that they dont bark like regular dogs, they make "woo woo" sounds more than a normal bark. But walking through their kennels, and listening to every one of those poor dogs hoarse, weak attempt to bark really broke my heart. It sounded like someone dropped a hot coal on their vocal chords and just let them deal with it.

I would never do that to my dogs, absolutely never.

That has to be one of the saddest things I have ever heard. It makes me mad too!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
I am fairly sure this is the same thing.  The pain doesnt come until after the surgery, when the dog attempts to bark. When you "poke holes" in the throat, anywhere, scar tissue develops. But dogs dont know they have to stay quiet to let the scar tissue heal and to quit aggravating it. They bark and repeatedly injure their throats. Its actually really cruel any way about it.

But i heard that procedure doesnt hurt. The other procedure does, in which thwey go through the back of the neck, and cut the pipes... :crying

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
But i heard that procedure doesnt hurt. The other procedure does, in which thwey go through the back of the neck, and cut the pipes... :crying

Even if the procedure doesn't hurt, think of what's going on there. The dog will be traumatized for life! It won't know why it can't bark anymore. There's no way to make it understand.

Meanwhile, every time it tries to bark, it's still forcing a lot of air up its trachea, and that's going to put a lot of strain on the holes that have been drilled there. They'll start to stretch and possibly tear.

This seems like a horribly cruel thing to do to an animal.

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
Even if the procedure doesn't hurt, think of what's going on there.  The dog will be traumatized for life!  It won't know why it can't bark anymore.  There's no way to make it understand.

Meanwhile, every time it tries to bark, it's still forcing a lot of air up its trachea, and that's going to put a lot of strain on the holes that have been drilled there.  They'll start to stretch and possibly tear.

This seems like a horribly cruel thing to do to an animal.

I agree. I wouldn't do it to my dog either way...