Phil Nevin

bigred3535

Anyone think he's in KW's sights? I know his no trade clause was limited, does anyone know if the Sox were on his no trade list? I think he could be had pretty cheap, with San Diego as unhappy with him as they are... I personally think if the Sox don't give up a stud prospect he would be a good fit to split 1B/DH with Pauly. Again this is all speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a deal for him, and am curious what everyone's thoughts would be.

-Full NO-TRADE clause in '03, '04, but in '05 NO-TRADE limited to 8 teams (SEA, BAL and the NYM are among those teams) that he can veto trade to, thus the Padres are only free to trade him without his discretion to the other 21 teams

-In 2006, he will have limited no-trade clause for the first 1/3 of the season, but will regain full NO-TRADE powers as a 10-5 player for the remainder of the 2006 season in early June

He isn't leaving SD until he retires. Lock this thread too. It's not a possibility at all. There's more of a chance Frank Thomas comes back to play in a week.

I disagree. I think he's a fairly sure bet to leave San Diego, because they don't want him anymore and he has been benched. They'll want to deal him while he still has a bit of value, and he can't block a trade to all teams. I bet they're shopping him pretty hard.

The Padres and Rangers have agreed to swap Phil Nevin and Chan Ho Park, with Park heading to San Diego if he is willing to waive his no-trade clause.

The Rangers aren't on Nevin's no-trade list. Park can veto the deal, but he's expected to accept it. Obviously, it'd be a great switch for his ERA and the Padres are more likely than the Rangers to advance to the postseason. Right now, there doesn't seem to be much room for Nevin in the Texas lineup, although a Richard Hidalgo trade could change that. With the roster as is, he should only play against left-handers. Jul. 29 - 7:45 pm et

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Didn't Nevin have a smart ass comment about the sox after they kicked the Pads asses?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35157&hl=

It seems the team with the best record in the major leagues still has not impressed everyone.

After the White Sox beat San Diego on Friday night, Padres first baseman Phil Nevin was asked by a San Diego reporter whether facing the red-hot South Siders provided a good measuring stick for the Padres.

"We don't use this as a measuring point," Nevin said. "At our best, we've swept teams like Atlanta, Florida, won three of four in St. Louis. I don't think (the Sox are) better than those teams."

From qwerty's post:

-In 2006, he will have limited no-trade clause for the first 1/3 of the season, but will regain full NO-TRADE powers as a 10-5 player for the remainder of the 2006 season in early June

The last half of the statement is now invalid, as he is no longer a 10-5 man. That '5' means the last five years with one team. That is, assuming the deal goes through.