Sox Interested in Guardado

CWSGuy406

Sorry fellas, I hate to make a new thread when there's already 50 other threads out there, but I hadn't seen Guardado's name mentioned anywhere.

So, here it is:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/234621_mbok30.html

The discount has created such a cascade of calls that several teams are believed to have a viable opportunity to acquire the left-hander. The assistant GM indicated the Mets, Diamondbacks and White Sox have shown late, genuine interest.

What would it take?

Initially, Mariners officials asked teams to overpay for Guardado, to the tune of one major league-ready player and an elite prospect. Now, according to one major league source, Guardado could be had for a prospect (or prospects) alone.

Tracey + Vizcaino? Tracey + Fields/Baj + Vizcaino?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
Sorry fellas, I hate to make a new thread when there's already 50 other threads out there, but I hadn't seen Guardado's name mentioned anywhere.

So, here it is:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/234621_mbok30.html

What would it take? 

Tracey + Vizcaino?  Tracey + Fields/Baj + Vizcaino?

Tracey could probably be a centerpiece for this deal. To be honest, I'd do either deal, all though Tracey and Fields are two pretty solid spects along with Viz who probably does have some trade value. Guardado is having a fantastic year, he's another guy I'd love to have.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
Tracey could probably be a centerpiece for this deal.  To be honest, I'd do either deal, all though Tracey and Fields are two pretty solid spects along with Viz who probably does have some trade value.  Guardado is having a fantastic year, he's another guy I'd love to have.

I'm pretty sure you know, but just to clarify -- by Fields, I mean the reliever.

And I'd do that in a heartbeat. If Damaso Marte is the worst guy you have in your 'pen... wow. You got a good bullpen. Some people project Tracey as a reliever, anyways -- let's hope Bavasi doesn't know that. :D

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)
I'm pretty sure you know, but just to clarify -- by Fields, I mean the reliever. 

And I'd do that in a heartbeat.  If Damaso Marte is the worst guy you have in your 'pen...  wow.  You got a good bullpen.  Some people project Tracey as a reliever, anyways -- let's hope Bavasi doesn't know that.  :D

To be honest, no I was thinking the 3rd baseman. All these rumors have just all come together now it seems, I've seen so much, just...blah, I think you know what I'm saying. I missed the /Baj part, if I saw that I would have known you were talking about the reliever. :bang

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 08:33 AM)
To be honest, no I was thinking the 3rd baseman.  All these rumors have just all come together now it seems, I've seen so much, just...blah, I think you know what I'm saying.  I missed the /Baj part, if I saw that I would have known you were talking about the reliever. :bang

No problem.

Truth be told, if Bavasi wanted 1st-round Josh Fields for Guardado, straight up... I'd probably do it.

I dunno, I guess I'm not that high on Fields...

BTW -- I think Guardado is a lot more realistic than Wagner, too. And, I think he'd be a better option, because I think you could get him for less, without giving up Mac or Marte.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:36 AM)
No problem.

Truth be told, if Bavasi wanted 1st-round Josh Fields for Guardado, straight up...  I'd probably do it.

I dunno, I guess I'm not that high on Fields...

BTW -- I think Guardado is a lot more realistic than Wagner, too.  And, I think he'd be a better option, because I think you could get him for less, without giving up Mac or Marte.

I agree. I'm not sure if you read the whole article or just saw the blurb from a site like rotoworld or prosportsdaily but that's a good read. It talks about how it looks like Eddie will be traded, the thing that I didn't know is that he has a partial no trade and teams included are: The Yanks, Bosox, and Mets, plus others. The sox aren't on that list so we're fine. Good stuff, I'd love Eddie on the southside.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 03:37 AM)
I'd deal Fields for Guardado in a heartbeat (the 3rd baseman), but the Mariners won't want him.

[beltre rant] Yeah they have a 3rd baseman right now who's currently making almost $1M per HR. $10M this year plus that nice juicy $7M signing bonus for 12 HRs, gotta love it. Hell, they're stuck with him for the next 5 years, remember you always want to give a player who has a career year (49 HRs) big money in a 5 year contract, have fun with that one.[/beltre rant]

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
I agree.  I'm not sure if you read the whole article or just saw the blurb from a site like rotoworld or prosportsdaily but that's a good read.  It talks about how it looks like Eddie will be traded, the thing that I didn't know is that he has a partial no trade and teams included are: The Yanks, Bosox, and Mets, plus others.  The sox aren't on that list so we're fine.  Good stuff, I'd love Eddie on the southside.

Yeah, I read the whole article. I don't know why I overlooked Guardado, but he makes a lot of sense. It seems that Bavasi is finally starting to realize that Texas/Anahiem/Oakland won't lose the rest of the games this year, thus giving the M's the AL West title.

And, with Guardado, the Sox could play the matchups in the 9th, rather than just giving Hermy the ball. Lefties hit .250 off of him, as opposed to righties hitting .243. Really... it makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
Yeah, I read the whole article.  I don't know why I overlooked Guardado, but he makes a lot of sense.  It seems that Bavasi is finally starting to realize that Texas/Anahiem/Oakland won't lose the rest of the games this year, thus giving the M's the AL West title.

And, with Guardado, the Sox could play the matchups in the 9th, rather than just giving Hermy the ball.  Lefties hit .250 off of him, as opposed to righties hitting .243.  Really...  it makes a lot of sense.

I'm sorry, just cause I have to. Hermy, Eddie, Cliff, Neal, Jenks, Damaso :o . That's just a deep and versatile bullpen. Obviously I'm getting way ahead of myself but that would be awesome.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
I'm sorry, just cause I have to.  Hermy, Eddie, Cliff, Neal, Jenks, Damaso :o .  That's just a deep and versatile bullpen.  Obviously I'm getting way ahead of myself but that would be awesome.

Yup. No need to upgrade the rotation when you can basically make each playoff game a (essentially) five inning game.

Wow... has Neal Cotts been huge or what? He's bringing my sad-face from the Foulke trade to a straight face.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
Yeah, I read the whole article.  I don't know why I overlooked Guardado, but he makes a lot of sense.  It seems that Bavasi is finally starting to realize that Texas/Anahiem/Oakland won't lose the rest of the games this year, thus giving the M's the AL West title.

And, with Guardado, the Sox could play the matchups in the 9th, rather than just giving Hermy the ball.  Lefties hit .250 off of him, as opposed to righties hitting .243.  Really...  it makes a lot of sense.

I agree with all this. And righties are hitting .183 against Guardado this season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:52 AM)
Wow...  has Neal Cotts been huge or what?  He's bringing my sad-face from the Foulke trade to a straight face.

He's been lights out. I've always had a lot of faith in Neal, like I've said before he's just a guy that I felt was going to be a very good pitcher.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
He's been lights out.  I've always had a lot of faith in Neal, like I've said before he's just a guy that I felt was going to be a very good pitcher.

Cotts has become one of my favorite Sox players.

Everyone wanted him to succeed. He's a local kid, so you know how that goes. And, even though he had poor (main) numbers last year, he was fooling hitters -- with one pitch. This year... man, he's been a joy to watch. I'm so amazed how no one -- and I mean no one -- can catch up to his fastball. And then he gets 'em looking fastball, and throws a slider/curve in the dirt. And then he goes up and in. It's beautiful, watching him pitch.

I think that's one of the reasons why this team is so loveable -- 'cause the main cogs of this team have been here for two-three years or more. Sure, Pierzynski and Dye and Iguchi and Duque have been great additions, but it's Konerko, Buehrle, Garland, Cotts, Rowand, Crede (to an extend), those guys, who've been carrying us.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
Right now, Cotts is best pitcher involved in that trade.

I don't think any of us were suggesting dealing Cotts in a package for Guardado.

We were just lining up the bullpen with Guardado in it, and we got to talking about how Cotts is so awesome. :)

Yeah, Bavasi asks for Cotts, and he'd hear a dial-tone immediately.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 03:18 AM)
I don't think any of us were suggesting dealing Cotts in a package for Guardado.

We were just lining up the bullpen with Guardado in it, and we got to talking about how Cotts is so awesome.  :)

I think he's talking about the Foulke deal. :)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:18 AM)

We were just lining up the bullpen with Guardado in it, and we got to talking about how Cotts is so awesome.  :)

I didn't take it that you were talking about moving Cotts. I was just stating that out of Cotts, Koch and Foulke, Neal is the best pitcher right now.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
Both Jon Garland and Cotts have taught me to have more patience with younger players,  especially pitchers.

It's hard but this is something everyone needs to learn. At times it just seems hopeless but all pitchers develop differently and you just have to stay patient with them if you see the talent.