Sox Interested in Guardado

CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Guardado would be good for the right price and AJ already knows him and how to handle him behind the plate.  Another guy I'd want to get that I have not heard mentioned is Brian Fuentes.  He is the closer for Colorado and he is left-handed.  I dont think they would demand alot for him.  He has 16 saves and he has 56K's in 48 innings.  I sure wouldnt mind having this guy in the bullpen.  Anybody heard if the White Sox could be looking at Fuentes?

Colorado's not trading him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in today's Sun Times that Cooper said Hermy's back is 100% now. I don't think our BIG trade should be for a closer. I'd like it to be for a DH bat, then Vizquel, then maybe pick up get a 7th or 8th inning guy. Cotts, Politte, 'Big Bobby" Jenks and Hermy.....that's not too shabby right there.

If K-Dubs landed Huff, Vizquel and a bullpen arm, I wouldn't know how to act.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
I read in today's Sun Times that Cooper said Hermy's back is 100% now. I don't think our BIG trade should be for a closer. I'd like it to be for a DH bat, then Vizquel, then maybe pick up get a 7th or 8th inning guy. Cotts, Politte, 'Big Bobby" Jenks and Hermy.....that's not too shabby right there.

Getting Guardado is just like adding a dominant 7-8th guy as you move everyone in our current pen back.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)

With so few options out there and so many teams buying, I'm not gonna get my hopes up for more than 1 trade.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Not our biggest need, IMO. Politte is fine, especially if Eddie is pricey.  Upgrading the pen should be plan C.

It's pretty obvious that the pen is getting a little tired and overworked. I'd say that the pen is plan B, at the lowest, with plan A possibly being offense.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Not our biggest need, IMO. Politte is fine, especially if Eddie is pricey.  Upgrading the pen should be plan C.

The price for Eddie reportedly has gone down to a prospect, from before a major league player and a prospect. With his arm woes and big salary for '06, it sounds like the right price

Eddie Guardado: 3-Year worth 13M- + he receives salaries of 4M in 2004, 4M in 2005 and 4.25M in 2006- + 2005 and 2006 are considered Mutual Options with the M's holding Team options for 2005 (worth 6M) and 2006 (worth 6.25M) and Guardado holding player options worth 4M and 4.25M, respectively- + he can earn bonuses: 1M for 60 GF in 2004; 1M in both 2005 and 2006 if deemed the closer; and 100K in 2005 for 25GF then 150K for each incremen of 5GF for the remainder of the season (could get 1M for 55GF in 2005 and 2006)- + has limited NO-TRADE clause that allows him to veto trades to 10 teams, including BOS, NYY, NYM and other large-market East coast teams that already have closers- + 2005 Club option worth 6M was DECLINED by SEA on 11/1/04, but he EXERCISED his player option for 2005 worth 4M on 11/2/04 Agent: Kevin Kohler Service Time: 10.141
Edited by qwerty

If the Sox could get him, he would most likely not come back unless we exercised the $6 million option. He would see our closer situation in that we have many options. but, then again, with his arm troubles, he could stay for his player option.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
If the Sox could get him, he would most likely not come back unless we exercised the $6 million option.  He would see our closer situation in that we have many options.  but, then again, with his arm troubles, he could stay for his player option.

if guardado can be had cheap enough in spite of his rotator cuff problems if he could finish out the year. How long would he be out with rotator cuff surgery ? could he comeback as good as he was? that's still a gamble

This doesn't necessarily have to do with Guardado, but when does everyone think any trade we do will happen, if ever? Tonight or tomorrow before the game?

I would think it'd be tonight, that way it makes it easier to set line-ups and possible relievers (Marte and Vizcaino, I'm looking at you two).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
This doesn't necessarily have to do with Guardado, but when does everyone think any trade we do will happen, if ever?  Tonight or tomorrow before the game?

I would think it'd be tonight, that way it makes it easier to set line-ups and possible relievers (Marte and Vizcaino, I'm looking at you two).

We're the sunday night game tomorrow, so it can't be after the game tomorrow.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
No problem, but what do you think?  Tonight or tomorrow before the game?

I'd have to say tonight.

i would guess tomorrow before the game. if you remember contreras for loaiza was finalized 1 minute before teh deadline last year

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
i would guess tomorrow before the game. if you remember contreras for loaiza was finalized 1 minute before teh deadline last year

I'd also have to say that a trade is probably more likely closer to the trade deadline simply because at that point there is no more bluffing from either side.

The Red Sox and Mariners are talking about Eddie Guardado, but Seattle wants two of Boston's top pitching prospects.

The Red Sox aren't going to pay too high of a price for Guardado. A source told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that there is now a ''50/50 or less'' chance that the closer will be dealt. Jul. 30 - 7:38 pm et