Sox Interested in Guardado

CWSGuy406

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
anyone else a little apprehensive in acquiring eddie due to his torn rotator cuff?

he's had it for a while now...and he's done extremely well givin the situation. I wouldn't be worried about it, he's played all season with it and is staying consistant in his performances.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
Sorry fellas, I hate to make a new thread when there's already 50 other threads out there, but I hadn't seen Guardado's name mentioned anywhere.

So, here it is:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/234621_mbok30.html

What would it take? 

Tracey + Vizcaino?  Tracey + Fields/Baj + Vizcaino?

per rotoworld

Eddie Guardado - R - SEA

The Mariners reportedly have dropped the asking price for Eddie Guardado, making it seem more likely than ever he'll be moved today or tomorrow.

They were seeking a veteran starter and an elite prospect for the closer, but now they are listening to all offers and may let him go for a single prospect. Jul. 30 - 9:24 am et

Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

not really any major news

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
anyone else a little apprehensive in acquiring eddie due to his torn rotator cuff?

I love Guatdado as a pitcher, but that torn rotator cuff does scare me. I'd be willing to gamble that he stays well enough until the end of October if the price is right, but it is a risk--he could go down at any time.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
Apparently, the Red Sox are working on a deal to get him. They are willing to give up their C prospect, Kelly Shoppach for him which would work perfectly for the Mariners.

Uhhh wasn't Shoppach traded to Colorado along with Adam Stern for Larry Bigbie?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Well then I was watching a re-run of SportsCenter because that's what they were showing with Buster Olney.

I saw the same thing, and I'm trying to figure out what's going on there.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=805141

Is this for real or is ESPN (Buster Olney, really) just clueless?

I was watching this morning, and they were mentioning prospects the Red Sox could move to look at Guardado.

Kelly Shoppach's name came up; however, he's in this deal. :huh 

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
What's the over under and them getting any of these players?

I honestly think we get none.

KW will pull something out of nowhere.

But i know what you mean, spreading himself too thin here.

The biggest question mark for Eddie is taking on next yrs salary, w/ his partially torn rotator cuff. He might be fine for 2005. But taking on his big contract and giving up a very good prospect, few teams will be willing to do both. The sox might. so too Boston or the yanks. Yet Eddie can veto a trade to both those teams

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Haha, I read. I guess he doesn't like the AL East or at least the top 3 teams in it.

He had a no-trade clause for the Yankees and Red Sox because, at the time, they both had established closers on their team. Eddie has another clause in his contract that gives him more money for closing out more games, I believe. He won't go to the Yankees, IMO. He will, again IMO, accept a trade to the Red Sox if he has the chance. The White Sox have Hermanson, so he might have to share the closer role here, thus he has less incentive to come here. I really wouldn't doubt him accepting a trade to the Red Sox, if they offer the Mariners enough to land him.

EDIT: The reason he might not want to come here or New York is because of Hermanson and Rivera. With Foulke being hurt, he might be inclined to go there.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
He had a no-trade clause for the Yankees and Red Sox because, at the time, they both had established closers on their team.  Eddie has another clause in his contract that gives him more money for closing out more games, I believe.  He won't go to the Yankees, IMO.  He will, again IMO, accept a trade to the Red Sox if he has the chance.  The White Sox have Hermanson, so he might have to share the closer role here, thus he has less incentive to come here.  I really wouldn't doubt him accepting a trade to the Red Sox, if they offer the Mariners enough to land him.

EDIT:  The reason he might not want to come here or New York is because of Hermanson and Rivera.  With Foulke being hurt, he might be inclined to go there.

It wouldn't be his choice whether to come here or not.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
He had a no-trade clause for the Yankees and Red Sox because, at the time, they both had established closers on their team.  Eddie has another clause in his contract that gives him more money for closing out more games, I believe.  He won't go to the Yankees, IMO.  He will, again IMO, accept a trade to the Red Sox if he has the chance.  The White Sox have Hermanson, so he might have to share the closer role here, thus he has less incentive to come here.  I really wouldn't doubt him accepting a trade to the Red Sox, if they offer the Mariners enough to land him.

EDIT:  The reason he might not want to come here or New York is because of Hermanson and Rivera.  With Foulke being hurt, he might be inclined to go there.

If he was traded to the White Sox, I don't believe he has no trade protection. IIRC when he was a free agent KW pursued him very aggressively. There were many reports saying he would probably sign with the White Sox. If Wagner is not available, and this guy is for a prospect, KW must grab him. Its a no-brainer. Hermanson's back can be a problem at any time. They are going to need someone with a lot of experience closing games, especially and hopefully in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
If he was traded to the White Sox, I don't believe he has no trade protection. IIRC when he was a free agent KW pursued him very aggressively. There were many reports saying he would probably sign with the White Sox. If Wagner is not available, and this guy is for a prospect, KW must grab him. Its a no-brainer. Hermanson's back can be a problem at any time. They are going to need someone with a lot of experience closing games, especially and hopefully in the playoffs.

For your first sentence, refer to what I said just above your post.

And second, I'm not saying we shouldn't get him. I really want him on our team, just it's not set in stone that he'll override a trade to the Red Sox.

Guardado would be good for the right price and AJ already knows him and how to handle him behind the plate. Another guy I'd want to get that I have not heard mentioned is Brian Fuentes. He is the closer for Colorado and he is left-handed. I dont think they would demand alot for him. He has 16 saves and he has 56K's in 48 innings. I sure wouldnt mind having this guy in the bullpen. Anybody heard if the White Sox could be looking at Fuentes?