The Aristocrats

LowerCaseRepublican

Penn Jillette from Penn and Teller fame has made a new documentary called "The Aristocrats" which will come out in August. It is being heralded as quite possibly the most verbally "filthy" movie ever made.

The controversy is of course that due to the extreme "dirty" words in the movie (which is a collection of standups telling different versions of the old Vaudeville joke 'the aristocrats'), AMC theaters has refused to show the film on any of their 3,500+ screens & some of the punditry is talking about movie obscenity, protecting the children etc.

Anywho just wanted to see what the Soxtalk Nation thought about this & what peoples' opinions were. I for one am very much looking forward to seeing this movie. :lol:

I'll definitely check it out.

I personally find it sickening that it's OK for a movie to blow the s*** out of a million buildings and shoot thousands of people, but say a few "naughty words" and suddenly all the "What About The Children???" people get all outraged.

I'm sure The Aristocrats will end up at the Music Box or Landmark Century Cinema. That's OK with me, too, I like those theatres.

It is a whole bunch of comedians telling their own personal version of the joke "The Aristocrats".

For those that don't know, this joke is real old -- all the way back to Vaudeville. The joke starts out with a family going to a talent agency (mom, dad, brother, sister, baby/dog) and they say they have an act for him. The agency says they don't hire family acts but the family begs to be able to perform for him in order to show how good they are.

Then the comedian goes into telling a story trying to go into extreme shock value. Bizarre sex acts, etc. etc. are common because it tries to be as crude and tasteless as possible (but funny if you like that sort of humor). The joke's punchline is when the talent agency asks the family what the name of their act is and of course they say, "The Aristocrats!"

Only the beginning and the end are set -- so the middle of the joke is totally up to the comedian's interpretation and imagination. The joke is usually done with a group of comedians and is a game of one-upsmanship to see which comedian can top the other stories by being more out there and funny.

VIDEO DEFINITELY NSFW AND NOT FOR PEOPLE EASILY OFFENDED...BE FOREWARNED!

http://www.spschat.com/RareMedia/videos/so...aristocrats.wmv -- South Park gives an example of this joke.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
I personally find it sickening that it's OK for a movie to blow the s*** out of a million buildings and shoot thousands of people, but say a few "naughty words" and suddenly all the "What About The Children???" people get all outraged.

Concur 100%.

It's like the GTA: San Andreas flap. You can condone a game that has you killing cops, carjacking, beating up prostitutes -- but cartoon sex? "What about the children?"

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
The movie is brilliant!!!

Hysterical, Offsensive, Dirty, & Insightful...

Bob Saget is a dirty sonofab****!! :lolhitting

You didnt know? Didnt you see his "Entourage" episode? Bob Saget likes the b****es!

Exhibit A: Ladykillers with Tom Hanks

This was a remake of an older film that did not feature obscenity & cuss words. The older film was a more enjoyable film & comparing the BO between the two clearly indicates it had greater mass appeal.

I don't blame AMC or any other chain for deciding not to show this movie.

If you "get your rocks off" with dirty words then whatever floats your boat.

But the BO has proven time & again it doesn't sell. AMC is in business to sell an entertainment venue to the widest audience possible. The Aristocrats probably doesn't fill that bill.

When viewing Ladykillers we both thought that the movie would have been much better if one character had been written better. All he offered was a cess pool of dirty words & it did not add to the film.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Exhibit A: Ladykillers with Tom Hanks

This was a remake of an older film that did not feature obscenity & cuss words.  The older film was a more enjoyable film & comparing the BO between the two clearly indicates it had greater mass appeal.

I don't blame AMC or any other chain for deciding not to show this movie.

If you "get your rocks off" with dirty words then whatever floats your boat.

But the BO has proven time & again it doesn't sell. AMC is in business to sell an entertainment venue to the widest audience possible.  The Aristocrats probably doesn't fill that bill.

When viewing Ladykillers we both thought that the movie would have been much better if one character had been written better.  All he offered was a cess pool of dirty words & it did not add to the film.

The Box Office is a pretty arbitrary source to consider the success of any film. There are a ton of determining factors in the success of any film, nowadays it seems the DVD sales and rentals are what makes a film successful.

The Box Office is a pretty arbitrary source to consider the success of any film. There are a ton of determining factors in the success of any film, nowadays it seems the DVD sales and rentals are what makes a film successful.

Yes, but AMC & movie chains don't make their money off of home entertainment sales.

They make it off of the food when you put your butt in their house.

FYI: Ladykillers did not do well in HE either.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Yes, but AMC & movie chains don't make their money off of home entertainment sales.

They make it off of the food when you put your butt in their house.

FYI: Ladykillers did not do well in HE either.

I know the ladykillers didnt do well. But there are tons or remakes that didnt do as well as the original. Swear words arent the determining factor in a movies popularity.

South Park did just fine with their movie(BO and home video sales and rentals), and it is one of the most vulgar movies ever.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
aristocats.gif

Allow me to nauseate you:

Egbert, Thomas O'Mally, Dutchess, Toulousse (sp?), Marie, and Berleoise (sp?).

Those are the characters in that photo. I did that without looking it up.

That's what happens to your brain when you spend too much time with a 5 and 7 year old. :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Allow me to nauseate you:

Egbert, Thomas O'Mally, Dutchess, Toulousse (sp?), Marie, and Berleoise (sp?).

Those are the characters in that photo.  I did that without looking it up.

That's what happens to your brain when you spend too much time with a 5 and 7 year old.  :D

cast.jpg

QUOTE(winodj @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
I'm told that Steve has full sleeve tattoos and thats why he always wore long sleeve shirts.

Wasn't the original Steve also in an ep of Homicide: Life on the Streets and that is one of the reasons that Nickelodeon had to replace him because kids saw him in the adult show as well and weren't able to rectify the two as just him being an actor?

And PS Jim...that is scary that you are able to name those characters...::shudders:: :lol: