Score Reporting

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mackowiak would no doubt take Willie Harris' spot on the roster, with Willie going to AAA or traded. Mackowiak would play 2b, 3b, CF to rest the sox current starters, and be a decent power bat off the bench. Not a "sexy" move, but very solid upgrade for the sox bench

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
But you know if we get Mackowiack, it will not be Timo that goes.....it will be Willie Harris (which is fine too IMO though Timo deserves to go first)

Which is exactly why this would be a good trade. He could play multiple positions, and send Willie Harris back to the minors where he belongs.

He doesn't have to be a great player - remember his value would be providing a bat off the bench, and to be insurance for Crede.

Only concern here is that Guillen would overuse him....Hopefully, down the strech Guillen will stick with what's gotten us here.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Besides the pen, where in the hell has Ozzie overused people????

1) Iguchi is Ozzie's self-described team MVP - yet he plays Willie Harris 2-3x a week to rest him. I understand Guillen doesn't want to tire out Iguchi, but let's keep this down to 1-2x a week, tops.

2) Podnesnik has also been rested quite often....

(Note: Some of this is due to Ozzie having 1 extra regular on his bench due to Frank Thomas (at the time)...Now that Thomas is gone, I expect Pods to get less rest).

It would not surprise me to see Harris included in a deal for Mackowiak.

I still think they will make two moves, but even if it is only one move and you get a little bit better and more versatile ... you make the move.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
wow, sounds like plans a,b,c and d have died if they've resorted to this.

I think that's probably true.

I believe Williams probably does want to add an impact player to the roster, but the price is so outrageous to do so that maybe he's looking now to try to shore up the bench, maybe add another reliever instead of give up the farm for some of the bigger names out there.

Then again, I'm sure KW is still trying to get whoever's he's targeted.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Which is exactly why this would be a good trade. He could play multiple positions, and send Willie Harris back to the minors where he belongs.

He doesn't have to be a great player - remember his value would be providing a bat off the bench, and to be insurance for Crede.

Only concern here is that Guillen would overuse him....Hopefully, down the strech Guillen will stick with what's gotten us here.

thid would be a great move, lEFT handed UTITLITY INFIELDER, LITTLE COST ..... BRILLIANT!

BEST RUMOR SO FAR AS FAR AS BEING REALISTIC :cheers

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
1) Iguchi is Ozzie's self-described team MVP - yet he plays Willie Harris 2-3x a week to rest him. I understand Guillen doesn't want to tire out Iguchi, but let's keep this down to 1-2x a week, tops.

2) Podnesnik has also been rested quite often....

(Note: Some of this is due to Ozzie having 1 extra regular on his bench due to Frank Thomas (at the time)...Now that Thomas is gone, I expect Pods to get less rest).

Welcome to soxtalk :cheers

What ozzie has done [or the sox big lead has allowed him to do] is keep his regulars fresh. They'll need to be for the playoffs. now's the time to give them days off. In September, they'll be playing regularly, and will be in the lineup getting ready for the playoffs

that's a positive, not a negative. The sox are winning games while resting their better players. What's not to like?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 30, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Welcome to soxtalk :cheers

What ozzie has done [or the sox big lead has allowed him to do] is keep his regulars fresh. They'll need to be for the playoffs. now's the time to give them days off. In September, they'll be playing regularly, and will be in the lineup getting ready for the playoffs

that's a positive, not a negative. The sox are winning games while resting their better players. What's not to like?

Thanks Beck72!

I've been a lurker for a few weeks now, and wanted to offer some of my thoughs, so here I am!.

I know where you're coming from with your thoughts...Sure, it can be frustrating, but it's definitely hard to argue with the success he's had.

One thing that scares me about this deal is that Pittsburgh DM Dave Littlefield has been demanding a king's ransom in all the trades he's made the last couple years, one reason why Redman and Mesa aren't gone yet. As long as it isn't going to take more than a mid-level prospect, though, I think he'd be a useful bench player, especially considering the Sox have arguably the worst bench in the majors as far as swinging the stick goes.