Latest news on Huff and Baez

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Is Huff the player who's hit 8 home runs this month, or the one who's hit 5 in the 1st 3 though? Something to consider.

Looking at his career numbers, I'd say that the 8 home runs this month are more the norm than his performance in the previous 3 months.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
You're saying that even though Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko have better power numbers, and that Scott Podsednik is one of the best lead-off hitters in baseball, you'd still prefer Aubrey Huff to any of em?

As an overall hitter.....no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
You're saying that even though Jermaine Dye and Paul Konerko have better power numbers, and that Scott Podsednik is one of the best lead-off hitters in baseball, you'd still prefer Aubrey Huff to any of em?

lemme say some words about this teams truly unheralded player. beltran signed for 120 mil, has like .260 9 homers, JD Drew 55 hurt and wasnt doing anything, magglio hurt and hittin well now, but only for 1/2 the year. meanwhile jermaine dye signed for 8 million and has better numbers than all of them. 21 homers .265. give this guy some pub national media

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
lemme say  some words about this teams truly unheralded player. beltran signed for 120 mil, has like .260 9 homers, JD Drew 55 hurt and wasnt doing anything, magglio hurt and hittin well now, but only for 1/2 the year. meanwhile jermaine dye signed for 8 million and has better numbers than all of them. 21 homers .265. give this guy some pub national media

No doubt. J. Dye has been our best offensive hitter for 2 months now. I'm still not quite sure why he's batting so low in the order.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
Knowing Tampa's GM.....that means we don't have a chance in hell at Huff.  No way we're getting him without giving up McCarthy (not that I'm complaining).  This GM did get Kazmir for Victor Zambrano last season!

Few teams will drop their drawers for TB's GM after the Kazmir deal. The best SP's I've read mentioned as trade bait by other teams have been in AA. So I wouldn't say the sox are out of the "Huff sweepstakes". Esp as TB wants Boston to overpay for Huff, which they don't seem willing to do. The sox might have the best offer out there, even w/o BMac

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
As an overall hitter.....no doubt in my mind.

He has an OPS of almost .75 to .100 lower than Konerko or Dye, and only 17 doubles with 2 triples, while Dye has 15 doubles and Konerko has 14, not much of a difference at all.

Now Huff's stats should pick up a little from hitting at the Cell instead of Dome, but remember, it's a more favorable ball park for RH power hitters than LH power hitters.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
lemme say  some words about this teams truly unheralded player. beltran signed for 120 mil, has like .260 9 homers, JD Drew 55 hurt and wasnt doing anything, magglio hurt and hittin well now, but only for 1/2 the year. meanwhile jermaine dye signed for 8 million and has better numbers than all of them. 21 homers .265. give this guy some pub national media

Drew didn't do much?

15 Homers, 36 RBI, 286 Avg, 512 Slg and an OBP of .412 isn't doing anything? I wish some guys like Juan Uribe weren't "doing anything" on our team.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Here he is;  :P

58m.jpg

EDIT: Work you stupid picture. Ahh screw it. It was a Huff Movie pic.

You tried, that's all that matters.

And yes, fathom, I can't believe it's this quiet. I already said I won't be pissed at KW if he does nothing special, but I already feel the disappointment setting in. I'll be so depressed today if nothing happens.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Few teams will drop their drawers for TB's GM after the Kazmir deal. The best SP's I've read mentioned as trade bait by other teams have been in AA. So I wouldn't say the sox are out of the "Huff sweepstakes". Esp as TB wants Boston to overpay for Huff, which they don't seem willing to do. The sox might have the best offer out there, even w/o BMac

Considering that Tampa demanded Boston include their best position prospect and best pitcher prospect.....I highly doubt he wouldn't demand McCarthy in the trade. Remember, the DRays are loaded with outfield prospects. I'm sure they'd value McCarthy and Gio a lot more than they would our outfielders.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
I am prepared for dissapointment.  I believe the Sox will do nothing major, thus can't be dissapointment if we stand pat.  But, if we do something I am happy.  I can't lose today, unless of course the sox lose.

Yeah same thing people said in 2000 and that worked out so well. best record in regular season means NOTHING.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
He has an OPS of almost .75 to .100 lower than Konerko or Dye, and only 17 doubles with 2 triples, while Dye has 15 doubles and Konerko has 14, not much of a difference at all.

Now Huff's stats should pick up a little from hitting at the Cell instead of Dome, but remember, it's a more favorable ball park for RH power hitters than LH power hitters.

He is a known second half player. He is notorious for his 1st half slumps. Check out his career numbers and you will see what you can expect in the 2nd half. Get over his first half numbers because they don't mean s***.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)

He got off to an awful start, but he's been terrific lately. As for the Cell being better for righties than lefties.....is there any proof to that? I think it's just perception dealing from the fact the Sox are much stronger from the right side of the plate. If you're asking who has hit better this season, Huff or these other guys? Well, Huff isn't the best. However, I'm just projecting over the course of the next season and a half.

Every AB I see Everett weakly pop up on the infield, or swing at a curve in the dirt....it makes me think we need another offensive weapon in our lineup. If you're so caught up with first half stats, would you rather have the surging Huff, or the slumping Everett?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
He is a known second half player. He is notorious for his 1st half slumps. Check out his career numbers and you will see what you can expect in the 2nd half. Get over his first half numbers because they don't mean s***.

And let's hope that continues (if we do trade for him). Does that mean it's going to be a guarantee he'll do it again though? No, but there's definitely a good chance he will.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
As for the Cell being better for righties than lefties.....is there any proof to that?  I think it's just perception dealing from the fact the Sox are much stronger from the right side of the plate. 

I found this from Baseball Effect from a Feb article;

Did you know that there are two parks that favor right-handed HR more than Coors Field? Both Chicago parks (Wrigley and U.S. Cellular) showed higher HR rates for right-handers over the past three years than Coors Field

But your point is taken though, so it'll be interesting to see how Huff can do hitting at the Cell, compared to a Jermaine Dye over a full season for example, because they both hav similar power.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
I found this from Baseball Effect from a Feb article;

But your point is taken though, so it'll be interesting to see how Huff can do hitting at the Cell, compared to a Jermaine Dye over a full season for example, because they both hav similar power.

Good information about the park differences. There's no doubt in my mind that has to deal with the fact that every power hitter on those teams the last few years was righty.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
Just saw where the Score is reporting it's Huff or bust right now, with McCarthy not being involved in the deal.  There's not a chance in hell we get Huff without giving up BMac.

I'm calling your bluff with Josh Fields, Gio Gonzalez and a PTBNL.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Just saw where the Score is reporting it's Huff or bust right now, with McCarthy not being involved in the deal.  There's not a chance in hell we get Huff without giving up BMac.

That means we're focusing soley on getting Huff, and nobody else in baseball?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
I'm calling your bluff with Josh Fields, Gio Gonzalez and a PTBNL.

I wouldn't mind that trade at all. No baseball scouts I've talked to project Fields as a solid MLB hitter right now. And for some reason, as much as Gio seems like he's going to be a star....I just get visions of another Arnie Munoz.