Latest news on Huff and Baez

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
That's what it sounded like.

I don't know what to think about that.

It could be good because it takes our attention off of other possible trades, letting us focus on Huff.

It could be bad because TB's GM sucks, and we might just end up screwing ourselves out of any trade at all.

And I still think we need another reliever.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Just saw where the Score is reporting it's Huff or bust right now, with McCarthy not being involved in the deal.  There's not a chance in hell we get Huff without giving up BMac.

I don't think that's true. Although Lamar is a moron asking the moon. Everyone knows he won't pick up the option on Huff next year. They need younger players and getting rid of Huff brings in young players and saves $7.5 million. I could see a deal around Anderson and Gio. Both would go if we got both Huff and Baez, only one would go if we got Huff probably adding a Valido or something.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
I wouldn't mind that trade at all.  No baseball scouts I've talked to project Fields as a solid MLB hitter right now.  And for some reason, as much as Gio seems like he's going to be a star....I just get visions of another Arnie Munoz.

We'll need to see how Gio performs in AA and possibly AAA next season to give us a clearer picture of his future, but the likes of Kris Honel and Ryan Wing have dominated in A ball before getting stuck at B-Ham. I still like Gio as a Zito pitcher, and I think he'll turn out to be a similar version.

Fields is interesting though. He's turned it around, and with the way Upton has been playing defense in the minors, it's a logical fit. Can he hit above say .250-.260 though? I don't know.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
I don't think that's true.  Although Lamar is a moron asking the moon.  Everyone knows he won't pick up the option on Huff next year.  They need younger players and getting rid of Huff brings in young players and saves $7.5 million.  I could see a deal around Anderson and Gio.  Both would go if we got both Huff and Baez, only one would go if we got Huff probably adding a Valido or something.

There's no option for next year for Huff;

Aubrey Huff: 3-Year worth 14.5M- + receives a 500K signing bonus- will make 2.5M in 2004, 4.75M in 2005, and 7.5M in 2006 MLB Service: 4.003

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
We'll need to see how Gio performs in AA and possibly AAA next season to give us a clearer picture of his future, but the likes of Kris Honel and Ryan Wing have dominated in A ball before getting stuck at B-Ham. I still like Gio as a Zito pitcher, and I think he'll turn out to be a similar version.

Fields is interesting though. He's turned it around, and with the way Upton has been playing defense in the minors, it's a logical fit. Can he hit above say .250-.260 though? I don't know.

I'm just saying that I think our farm system could afford to give these guys up, and not lose a step. As much as I'd be willing to trade him, losing McCarthy would be a much bigger blow to the farm system. Also, our 3 young stud outfielders give us a huge trade chip this offseason. It's not like we don't have outfielders at the MLB level we're looking to replace.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Just saw where the Score is reporting it's Huff or bust right now, with McCarthy not being involved in the deal.  There's not a chance in hell we get Huff without giving up BMac.

The Score is about as accurate as an mlb message board.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
I'm just saying that I think our farm system could afford to give these guys up, and not lose a step.  As much as I'd be willing to trade him, losing McCarthy would be a much bigger blow to the farm system.  Also, our 3 young stud outfielders give us a huge trade chip this offseason.  It's not like we don't have outfielders at the MLB level we're looking to replace.

I've got absolutely no problem at all including Anderson in a deal. He's got the least upside out of any of the 3, and it's likely Pods, Rowand and Dye are going to be around for a while yet. And yeah Gonzalez is expendable, I think he'll be a good one, but we've got good SP depth in the minors now. A guy like Tyler Lumsden for example, could move quickly still like J.P Howell IF he stays healthy once he gets back from his current injury.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
I've got absolutely no problem at all including Anderson in a deal. He's got the least upside out of any of the 3, and it's likely Pods, Rowand and Dye are going to be around for a while yet. And yeah Gonzalez is expendable, I think he'll be a good one, but we've got good SP depth in the minors now. A guy like Tyler Lumsden for example, could move quickly still like J.P Howell IF he stays healthy once he gets back from his current injury.

Remember, Ozzie loves Sweeney. Sweeney is likely an untouchable.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I don't believe anything anyone says: Levine, Ofman or Gammons.  Kenny will do what he thinks is necessary and if that means McCarthy, then we'll see him later.

No offense, but they still have a lot more inside information than any of us jabronis on a message board.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
I'm just saying that I think our farm system could afford to give these guys up, and not lose a step.  As much as I'd be willing to trade him, losing McCarthy would be a much bigger blow to the farm system.  Also, our 3 young stud outfielders give us a huge trade chip this offseason.  It's not like we don't have outfielders at the MLB level we're looking to replace.

Hey what about TImo he needs to be replaced :pray

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
No offense, but they still have a lot more inside information than any of us jabronis on a message board.

What you might see is Kenny try making a deal without Brandon and then if it really gets close and Lamar still won't agree on anything then Brandon might be included. Obviously I'd love to make a deal without him included but if needed I'd be fine trading him, I really want Huff on this team.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
What you might see is Kenny try making a deal without Brandon and then if it really gets close and Lamar still won't agree on anything then Brandon might be included.  Obviously I'd love to make a deal without him included but if needed I'd be fine trading him, I really want Huff on this team.

I'm not going to be mad if KW can't make a move because the demands are too high. However, that's not going to stop me from b****ing if our offense goes into the s***ter the rest of the way with Everett at DH and Willie playing a lot at 2nd base. My one hope is that KW and Ozzie aren't getting caught up reading the standings, and thinking that there's no reason to improve this team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)

gammons and bruuuuuuuce yes have inside info. offman isnt a baseball insider, and either steals info from others or makes stuff up.

QUOTE(Ishmookie @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
he's still a good closer.

1-6 record with a 3.92 ERA and a 1.5 WHIP isn't what I would declare a good closer. Combine that with the fact he's a dickhead, and that he's old.....and I'd rather have Viz on my team than him.

QUOTE(Kogs35 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
gammons and bruuuuuuuce yes have inside info. offman isnt a baseball insider, and either steals info from others or makes stuff up.

That's exactly right. In fact Offman gets most of his info from Levine, Gammons, Rosenthal and Stark through internet and radio and television reports. As crazy as it may sound, he also lurks a couple of message boards, this one included, looking for information.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
1-6 record with a 3.92 ERA and a 1.5 WHIP isn't what I would declare a good closer.  Combine that with the fact he's a dickhead, and that he's old.....and I'd rather have Viz on my team than him.

He has 25 saves in 28 opps.