BUMPED THREAD: Geoff Blum to the White Sox?

fathom

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
You're easier than I. On each message board I looked everyone that didn't hear it and replied was like huh what who when where why. So I'm sure I buy this, plus only the starter of the thread said it. It could be spam.

Loretta is back btw.

Here's something I came across.

http://www.fanstop.com/public/mlbboards/pa....cgi?read=92992

I hope this is bulls***.

Anyone else find it hillarious that so many are b****ing about this already? First, Willie Harris doesn't deserve to be on this team. This will get his ass sent to the minors finally. Next, we needed a back-up 3b. Problem solved. I know everyone has their hopes set on Huff....but we're not the only team going after him, and their asking price is INSANE.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:00 AM)
He's hitting lefties better than he is righties this season.  What some people don't realize is that this guy can play both 3b and 2b.  His OPS is abouat 175 pts higher than Willie Harris.  Assuming we don't give up too much, I don't have a problem with this trade.  It's a definite boost to our bench (including a switch hitter who has some pop from the right side ).

Huh?

On MLB.com 'splits' page for Blum, I see him having about a .265 OBP vs. lefties (there's two rows for lefties, dunno why) in 75 ABs this year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/indivi...0398&statType=1

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:06 AM)
Huh?

On MLB.com 'splits' page for Blum, I see him having about a .265 OBP vs. lefties (there's two rows for lefties, dunno why) in 75 ABs this year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/indivi...0398&statType=1

Well, lets just say the stats I was looking at were wrong. Kudos for calling me out on it.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 02:06 AM)
This trade means that Willie gets to try his big pimpin' routine in Charlotte. Thank f***ing God!

Do chicks really ever take a 5'9 170 lb guy who is trying to pimp seriously?

Isn't he like Stifler's little brother?

Now that I know Blum is better vs rhp than lhp, this move is even more solid to me. We don't need a 2b or 3b vs lhp. However, he could give up support against tough righties. Both Crede and Iguchi struggle with the righty slider, so Blum could give those guys some rest vs those types of pitchers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 02:02 AM)
If this is bulls***, there's a lot of people involved in this hoax.

Not really. This has been done before. Only the starters of the thread are posting the info, and it's vague unverified info at that. Of course the obvious question is why bother with a Geoff Blum trade rumor.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
Of course the obvious question is why bother with a Geoff Blum trade rumor.

Exactly. The move makes perfect sense for both teams, as the Padres have no need for Blum with Loretta and Randa added to the mix recently. I'll state that I think it's 98 pct legit.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:15 AM)
Ok, people on wsi tuned into the radio station and now it's not official and it might only be 1 minor leaguer.

Any predictions? I wouldn't be shocked if it's Borchard. Padres need some offensive punch, and they might think Borchard could come up and provide some.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
It's not official?  Only one minor leaguer?  I'm confused.

The Padres announcers said that all they know is that Blum is being traded to the Sox, and they think it's for one minor leaguer. However, they can't confirm it until it's official.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
The Padres announcers said that all they know is that Blum is being traded to the Sox, and they think it's for one minor leaguer.  However, they can't confirm it until it's official.

Ok, here's a question, what the hell would the hold up for a Geoff Blum for 1 minor leaguer be?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:19 AM)
Ok, here's a question, what the hell would the hold up for a Geoff Blum for 1 minor leaguer be?

An official statement from both teams. Considering what time it is right now, it would likely be done in the morning. How often do you see trades completed at 3:20AM EST?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
An official statement from both teams.  Considering what time it is right now, it would likely be done in the morning.  How often do you see trades completed at 3:20AM EST?

Wasn't the Olivo deal announced like an hour ago?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:22 AM)
Wasn't the Olivo deal announced like an hour ago?

No, I read about it earlier in the night. It was officially announced after the Padres game tonight. It's a little different when it's two west coast teams involved.

Edited by fathom