Post Deadline

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the last few years they usually report who cleared waivers, usually some players suprise everyone ( I think most teams basically put everyone on to see who they can get through). Is that during the offseason only, or do they report it during the season?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
SF might be relunctant to trade anybody since they want to be a contender with a healthy Bonds....We'll have to see on that one, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Ibanez sounds like a decent fit. He's quietly having a nice season, and isn't overly expensive. Does he play the field at all anymore ?

SF would love to get rid of Ray, as talk about trading him the last few yrs has come up. But he'd be strictly a DH type, with less pop from the LH side. But for an OBP and high avg guy [around .300] Ray would be a decent option for a yr

Ibanez could play the OF at least as well as carl--at least LF maybe RF. He's played some 1b as well.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)
M's called up a nice prospect in Chris Snelling. Outfielder. Ibanez will probably DH for M's or sit. Nice guy off the bench if we got him.

Next yr, they'll have DH Bucky Jacobsen back. Not to mention that I read Sea. was talking about moving SS Morse to Dh as his glove is poor.

QUOTE(ISF @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Guys who are likely to sail through waivers: Dmitri Young, Sidney Ponson, Odalis Perez

Perez I would claim if I were KW. I would have no problem with grabbing Perez and sending Contreras through waivers. Only a 1.5 mil increase in payroll there and gives us the extra lefty we need.

Perez' ERA would be over 6 in the AL. I'd rather stick with Jose, at least he's healthy

Dmitri Young wouldn't be bad. Although I'd be worried about his hallucinations [saying Det. and Cle. would be battling for 1st place this yr]

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Perez' ERA would be over 6 in the AL. I'd rather stick with Jose, at least he's healthy

Dmitri Young wouldn't be bad. Although I'd be worried about his hallucinations [saying Det. and Cle. would be battling for 1st place this yr]

Young is likely to have an 8 million dollar option kick in because of 500 ABs. No way do I want to pay him that much money next season, when he can really only play DH.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Young is likely to have an 8 million dollar option kick in because of 500 ABs.  No way do I want to pay him that much money next season, when he can really only play DH.

I'd like the sox to pick up someone who has a high OBP. Young doesn't, though he makes a lot of contact like AJ.

If I had to choose power over OBP, I'd choose OBP. Even if the guy didn't hit lefty.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Young is likely to have an 8 million dollar option kick in because of 500 ABs.  No way do I want to pay him that much money next season, when he can really only play DH.

One other thing about getting a guy like Young, Det. [and other teams] would likely kick in some cash if the Sox included another prospect or two. Salary relief = decent prospects. I think the sox would be more than willing to pay in minor league talent for another bat who can help this yr.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 03:55 AM)
Just in case anyone cares I got a theory that the Sox traded for Griffey and that Reds ownership killed the deal. :o

I heard this rumor on the radio, but I can't remember who said it. They did say that Reds ownership killed it because of the PR nightmare they thought it would cause. Anyway, is there still a chance that Griffey Jr. clears waivers and the Sox could revisit a trade for him? For his bat and his defense, it'd be great to pick him up, especially if at least a decent portion of that deferred money (along with some of his contract) would be picked up by the Reds without the Sox giving up the farm. Any chance he'd be a clubhouse disruption? Also, if he were to come here (I know I'm thinking way too far ahead on this, but it would be an issue), what would the OF situation be, or would he just DH?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 03:00 AM)
I heard this rumor on the radio, but I can't remember who said it. They did say that Reds ownership killed it because of the PR nightmare they thought it would cause. Anyway, is there still a chance that Griffey Jr. clears waivers and the Sox could revisit a trade for him? For his bat and his defense, it'd be great to pick him up, especially if at least a decent portion of that deferred money (along with some of his contract) would be picked up by the Reds without the Sox giving up the farm. Any chance he'd be a clubhouse disruption? Also, if he were to come here (I know I'm thinking way too far ahead on this, but it would be an issue), what would the OF situation be, or would he just DH?

This thread will answer all of your questions. Oh yeah, Rowand posted that comment before the Griffey to the Sox rumors were ever reported....

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
I heard on BBTN today that the Mets were expected to put Mike Piazza through waivers in the near future. Do you think the Sox would have any interest in him (instead of Griffey Jr.?)

His skills are deteriorating, and he's only going to get worse. No thanks.

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
I heard on BBTN today that the Mets were expected to put Mike Piazza through waivers in the near future. Do you think the Sox would have any interest in him (instead of Griffey Jr.?)

If his contract is up this year then yeah, I wouldn't mind the Sox bringing him in for a DH role he may be down this year, but he still has over 13 HR's and over 50 RBI