Harris and Gload

Dick Allen

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
adkins?

you've got to be kidding me.

He's worse than horrible.

Leads the International League in home runs allowed.

Baj  or Tracey and Diaz or Munoz deserved it over him. Don't get that one at all.

:notworthy At least someone else agrees with me on this one.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
The magic number is 45.

I do the math and check it so much to make sure i am right, but i will say what i do and please tell me if i am wrong. I add our wins to the twins losses(68+50=118) then i subtract 162 from the amount of our wins and twin losses combined(162-118=44 ) then i get the magic number.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
I do the math and check it so much to make sure i am right, but i will say what i do and please tell me if i am wrong. I add our wins to the twins losses(68+50=118) then i subtract 162 from the amount of our wins and twin losses combined(162-118=44 ) then i get the magic number.

You're supposed to add 1 to it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
You're supposed to add 1 to it.

Ok i wasn't sure, i get right on that. Just curious, why do you add 1 to it.

EDIT: Never mind, i just read the thing wrong. I forgot it was 163 instead of 162.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 03:54 AM)
Poor Willie. Is he another Corey Patterson? Washed up?

Willie is gonna go the way of Royce Clayton.

Corey Patterson isn't really a great comparison. Both play exceptional defense at positions where defense is pretty important. Both have speed, too.

But at the plate, they're totally different. One takes pitches, the other hasn't met a pitch he hasn't liked.

Oh, and the fact that, well, Harris' career has to be considered a success thusfar -- I mean, he was a 24th round pick. Any contributions from a 24th rounder is awesome, and he contributed (somewhat) last year, providing a good OBP vs. righties and spectacular defense.

Patterson, on the other side of the spectrum... 3rd overall pick. If he can repeat his 2003 numbers (heck, even 2004), he'll be valuable to some team. He's pretty damn good in CF. But, he's really messed up right now. He's hitting .226 at Iowa.

Ick -- I can't believe I spent half a post talking about a Cub... :headshake

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
He did Ok last year.  4.65 ERA or so.  When he finally was given innings that meant something down the stretch, when Politte was hurt, he was garbage.

And, major league experience -- that did Kevin Walker real well, huh?

He's not very good at all.  I guess his ERA will come down from 5.80 or whatever, and he'll suddenly start fooling hitters.

Arnie Munoz pitched 14.1 innings last yr., He gave up 16 ER , 20 hits, walked 12 gave up 4 HR's and his ERA was 10.05. Adkins earned Ozzie's trust last year Munoz didn't. It's really that simple. But how many long relievers are really that good anyway ? If Ozzie prefers a guy he knows and trusts then I can deal with it.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:26 AM)
Arnie Munoz pitched 14.1 innings last yr., He gave up 16 ER , 20 hits, walked 12 gave up 4 HR's and his ERA was 10.05. Adkins earned Ozzie's trust last year Munoz didn't. It's really that simple. But  how many long relievers are really that good anyway ? If Ozzie prefers a guy he knows and trusts then I can deal with it.

Wow, 14 IP. That's like people judging Baj on his 8 IP...

I'll take the larger sample size of Adkins' (approx) 700 IP of an ERA around 4.50 than the 62 innings last year.

So what exactly do you want me to go by ? His minor league stats? I'm looking at it from Guillen's perspective and so far his vision of what the Sox should be has led to the best record in baseball. I have nothing against Munoz and don't exactly think Adkins is a long term answer . Chances are neither one will be on the playoff roster. Munoz will get his chance in Sept. and next spring. If he's any good it will play out that way eventually.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:40 AM)
So what exactly do you want me to go by ? His minor league stats? I'm looking at it from Guillen's perspective and so far his vision of what the Sox should be has led to the best record in baseball. I have nothing against Munoz  and don't exactly think Adkins is a long term answer . Chances are neither one will be on the playoff roster. Munoz will get his chance in Sept. and next spring. If he's any good it will play out that way eventually.

Cali, truth be told, I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it should be.

I don't like calling up another pitcher, period. I'd rather they make the Blum move, send Willie to Charlotte, and keep Gload up here. I don't see why this team needs another reliever. Pitch Vizcaino in every mop-up situation till his arm falls off, get some use out of that $1.3 million they paid him in the off-season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Cali, truth be told, I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it should be.

I don't like calling up another pitcher, period.  I'd rather they make the Blum move, send Willie to Charlotte, and keep Gload up here.  I don't see why this team needs another reliever.  Pitch Vizcaino in every mop-up situation till his arm falls off, get some use out of that $1.3 million they paid him in the off-season.

:cheers

When do the rosters expand???

Anyways It seems that Cotts and Vizcaino more than anyone have been used a lot... Vizcaino has pitched 51 innings already and I think he would be better if he wasnt used so often...

Also the last 2 years Politte has thrown 51 and 49 innings... in fact the highest he has ever had in his career has been was 73 innings but that was split between 2 teams after that next highest is 59 innings..... and Politte is already at 43 innings so I dont want to overwork him for sure.

Hermy as we all know has those back problems so the more rest he gets the better even though when healthy he can handle a lot of innings

Marte we never know what were getting and unlike Cotts, Hermy, and Politte you dont really want to throw in there in a close game.

THan finally Jenks has been alright except for that explosion in Oakland... but with his kind of arm and with his past I think he shouldnt be used much. Kind of eased into the majors.

basicly another bullpen arm wouldnt be such a bad idea especially since Ozuna and Blum can both play all around the field practically.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Yah, I remember the other day when Bull was calling BMac a "skinny little rookie f***" on the board. Then that entire thread just got hilarious.

That was excellent. We need to make it known that Soxtalk is the key to success in the minors.* We'll have guys fighting to be on here, and here how bad they suck from the know-it-alls.

*Past results are not guarentees of future preformance, some players do indeed just suck, and will continue to do so dispite Soxtalk's good vibrations.

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that Bajenaru's ERA is over 4 f***ING RUNS LESS THAN ADKINS could it? :headshake

Pffffttt.. facts. :rolly

I don't like calling up another pitcher, period.  I'd rather they make the Blum move, send Willie to Charlotte, and keep Gload up here.  I don't see why this team needs another reliever.  Pitch Vizcaino in every mop-up situation till his arm falls off, get some use out of that $1.3 million they paid him in the off-season.

They added another pitcher in an attempt to keep their best relievers arms fresh for September and October. The team was built on pitching, why not give your best arms every possible advantage when they'll be needed most?

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
They added another pitcher in an attempt to keep their best relievers arms fresh for September and October.  The team was built on pitching, why not give your best arms every possible advantage when they'll be needed most?

Because, that might mean we lose today's game. :headshake

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
They added another pitcher in an attempt to keep their best relievers arms fresh for September and October.  The team was built on pitching, why not give your best arms every possible advantage when they'll be needed most?

Jim... I so often read your posts and picture you're forehead all bloody from banging it against the wall. :banghead

:lolhitting

Jim... I so often read your posts and picture you're forehead all bloody from banging it against the wall.  :banghead

:lolhitting

LOL. You'd think I'd have given up by now.

It's not so much the mindset of these people or their opinions, everybody is entitled to that 100%. But what gets me is people come on and start a new thread and it's already been discussed in a bunch of other threads. Oh well, not worth getting worked up, it is only a message board. :D