Marlins acquire Mariners' Villone

Yoda

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MIAMI -- Adding depth to the bullpen is a constant quest for the Marlins.

The club explored several relief options on Sunday and ended up acquiring veteran left-hander Ron Villone from the Mariners for Minor League pitchers Yorman Bazardo and Michael Flannery.

Villone is 2-3 with a 2.45 ERA in 52 games, striking out 41 in 40 1/3 innings.

The Marlins explored other relief options before obtaining the 35-year-old Villone.

Also on Sunday, the Marlins entertained an offer for San Francisco left-hander Scott Eyre. That deal would have sent rookie Jason Vargas to the Giants, who were committed to taking Vargas over Double-A left-hander Scott Olsen.

Villone broke in with the Padres in 1995, and he spent the past two seasons with the Mariners. Villone has six saves this season.

A lefty with a nice 2.45 ERA. I wonder why the Sox never talked about trying to acquire him...

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
I'd like to know how good those two prospects are.  I find it hard to believe we couldn't top that.  It would've been a nice "f*** you" to Florida, too, for the whole Burnett thing.

Bazardo was their top pitching prospect behind Olsen and Vargas and was a BA top 100 guy

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
It would have taken Gio + some to get Villone.

You're probably right. Which is why i'm fine with not getting this guy. Kenny wasn't gonna give up any big time prospects unless it was for a guy that could get us to the Series. Villone was not that guy. Good move for the Marlins, though.