The people here who are disappointed with KW...

Princess Dye

The real benefit of standing pat this year will not be known for a couple of years.

This year, hopefully we'll make a run in the playoffs, and yeah if we overpaid for someone that could have helped.

But 2 years or so down the line, when El Duque and Jose are gone from the rotation, and Konerko and Crede are gone from the infield, and Dye is gone from the outfield, and Hermanson and Marte are gone from the pen, and they're replaced by guys named Anderson, Fields, McCarthy, Gonzalez, Jenks, or someone else along those lines, and KW then suddenly discovers he has the money to keep Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle and AJ Pierzynski and Scott Podsednik because he has young talent filling the holes created when the more expensive free agents departed...that's when we'll know the benefit of standing pat this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
KW then suddenly discovers he has the money to keep Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle and AJ Pierzynski and Scott Podsednik because he has young talent filling the holes created when the more expensive free agents departed...that's when we'll know the benefit of standing pat this year.

AJ better be given an extension ASAP! The guy's invaluable to this team!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
The real benefit of standing pat this year will not be known for a couple of years.

This year, hopefully we'll make a run in the playoffs, and yeah if we overpaid for someone that could have helped.

But 2 years or so down the line, when El Duque and Jose are gone from the rotation, and Konerko and Crede are gone from the infield, and Dye is gone from the outfield, and Hermanson and Marte are gone from the pen, and they're replaced by guys named Anderson, Fields, McCarthy, Gonzalez, Jenks, or someone else along those lines, and KW then suddenly discovers he has the money to keep Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle and AJ Pierzynski and Scott Podsednik because he has young talent filling the holes created when the more expensive free agents departed...that's when we'll know the benefit of standing pat this year.

Well said. The difference between KW of old and the new KW is that the old KW was so overanxious to make deals, he was wiling to overpay. Everybody wants to win today at the expense of tomorrow. However, ther are very few instances in the course of baseball history when rent-a-players made that much difference.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
We will not be getting any players of significance this year after the deadline.  Any contending team that even thinks the White Sox would be part of a trade would put a waiver claim onthe guy to squash it.

Yo SoxfanInDallas, ur a Hom

QUOTE(Da Sox @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Yo SoxfanInDallas, ur a Hom

Wow. That was an dumbass post. Why would you even say that? He makes a very valid point. We are the best team so we would be last to pick someone up on waivers. If another contending team doesn't want us to get an impact player, they would do something to prevent us from getting him.

WTF would you even say that for???

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
Wow. That was an dumbass post. Why would you even say that? He makes a very valid point. We are the best team so we would be last to pick someone up on waivers. If another contending team doesn't want us to get an impact player, they would do something to prevent us from getting him.

Ignoring the other poster...could you give me some more details about how the waiver process works and how our record plays into it? That's a detail I've never heard.

Jamie Burke

Ross Gload

Ben Davis

Joe Borchard

Willie Harris

These are guys who were contributors to the 2004 team and are now at Charlotte. I think that KW/Ozzie deserve a lot of credit for improving the bottom of the roster to the point that these guys can't get even back on the team.

Widger and Ozuna are new guys who have made valuable contributions, hopefully Blum will too.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
These are guys who were contributors to the 2004 team and are now at Charlotte.  I think that KW/Ozzie deserve a lot of credit for improving the bottom of the roster to the point that these guys can't get even back on the team. 

Widger and Ozuna are new guys who have made valuable contributions, hopefully Blum will too.

You know, I'm not sure I ever really thought about it in that way. I've told people this year that 1-25 we probably have the best roster in baseball, but I haven't thought of how KW/Ozzie should get credit for working the bottom end of the roster as much as the top.

I like this line of thought too...if the Yankees had 1 more quality starting pitcher on their roster last year they probably win the world series. They've got a lineup which probably rivals almost any in baseball history - Jeter, Sheffield, ARod, Matsui, Giambi...but they're not even leading their division. The Red Sox may have the best 1-2 punch since Maris/Mantle or even Ruth/Gherig, but we're way ahead of them too. Why? Well, could be that both of those teams have filler sitting around at several positions, while through our whole lineup, starting 5, bullpen, and bench, we really have very few truly weak spots.