My Baltimore Review

drowninginflame

I just got home from spending the weekend in Baltimore and NYC ......

Baltimore is like Joliet with a skyline on water.

The inner harbor is awesome, it's basically navy pier.

Camden yards is an awesome ballpark, it's beautiful.

My one big complaint about baltimore:

The fans.

On friday night, we met some awesome fans but most were total sissies.

Since alot of Sox fans were in town for the weekend, we were all smiles and giving one another high fives and being....fans.

Anyhow, like you all know we do alot of ballbusting on other fans, it's just good fun. Nothing personal, but those people were getting so mad when we'd get a run and we'd all find eachother for fives.

Case in point, these girls had a sign that said " I love Baltimore!!"

Everett nails that homerun, I tell the girls....might wanna change that sign to I love Chicago...

The reply: YOU'RE NOT IN CHICAGO...THIS IS BALTIMORE

and for the rest of the night they would mimick all of ours moves and conversations.

Then we met other sox fans and were talking by the bathroom, and this guy finds his way over to me to get in my face with his middle finger....and runs away.

LIGHTEN UP BALTIMORE.

I hear what you're saying with the lighten up comment, and there is no place for some tool to stick his middle finger in your face.

Put yourself in their shoes though. You guys were loud and high fiving, etc. and that's all fine, but if you were sitting there at U.S. Cellular and some other teams fans were doing that ... well, it's a two way street is all I can say.

When you go on the road, you're in someone else's house. And you're outnumbered. Root for your team with dignity and class, and show respect for the other team and their city.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Come on man, I really wanted to go to Baltimore before I read this!

And don't let this deter you from going. Just got back this morning and I love it more every time I go.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:01 AM)
And don't let this deter you from going. Just got back this morning and I love it more every time I go.

I agree. It is a great city.

Also, repesent Chicago in a classy way. Don't be loud and obnoxious.

You'd hate it if someone did the same thing at The Cell in front of you.

I had no issues Saturday or last night, and last night I wandered after the 2nd inning. Baltimore has silly fans just like we do, and the Cubs do, and the Yanks do, etc, etc..

Most there are very nice and know baseball - which is what I love the best about going there. If you can, go. It's a great park to see a game in.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
There seemed to be a LOT of LOUD Sox fans there on Saturday, good job guys.

There were a lot there both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't get there until after 10 Friday but there were a lot of Sox fans out in the harbor and the bars. Very nice showing.

Absolutely love the comments in this thread.

Treat the opposition fans with respect while you're in their ballpark, since you'd want the same courtesy in Chicago. No need to be loud and in-your-face.

Totally agree Baltimore is a great city. Joliet with a harbor? Hardly.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
There were a lot there both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't get there until after 10 Friday but there were a lot of Sox fans out in the harbor and the bars. Very nice showing.

Harbor bars, eh?

Thought you might want some extra seamen on your poopdeck?

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Harbor bars, eh?

Thought you might want some extra seamen on your poopdeck?

LMAO...

The friend that I stayed with has a condo on the other side of the harbor from Hooters so walking back to his place I saw tons of Sox fans. Then we went out to the bars within walking distance. But leave it to you to make it dirty.. :P

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
LMAO...

The friend that I stayed with has a condo on the other side of the harbor from Hooters so walking back to his place I saw tons of Sox fans. Then we went out to the bars within walking distance. But leave it to you to make it dirty..  :P

Moi? :rolly

Baltimore is great, been there a handful of times, but never got a chance to see a game at Camden Yards....yet. One of these years I'll make it out when the Sox play.

Beautiful city though with a great ESPN Zone.

In regards to cheering for the Sox and getting something said to you by a Orioles fan, well, that's just life.

When I am at a Sox game and I see people cheering for the other team, I give them a hard time. It's just part of being an opposing fan to the home team. Now if they made a snide remark, which it sounds like you did by telling them to change their sign to Chicago, you were best served with what you got. Just my two cents.

The middle finger I admit was uncalled for. But oh well, don't let one bad fan form your whole opinion of Baltimore fans in general.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
Did a lot of Sox fans make the trip or are there a lot of Chicagoans living there?

My flight (Southwest) was packed with fans. And there were a lot out after the game Friday and Saturday. Not so many on the return flight home this morning so either they left last night and didn't go to the game or stayed for today's. Baltimore is a cheap ticket, BWI is a breeze to get in and out of, and there are a ton of reasonable hotels by the airport so I think it's very appealing to out of town fans.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
My flight (Southwest) was packed with fans. And there were a lot out after the game Friday and Saturday. Not so many on the return flight home this morning so either they left last night and didn't go to the game or stayed for today's. Baltimore is a cheap ticket, BWI is a breeze to get in and out of, and there are a ton of reasonable hotels by the airport so I think it's very appealing to out of town fans.

As long as you agree to pay for our tickets as usual and have sex with us, maybe Jason and I will go with you next year.

:huh:

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)

Great tips, I've never really paid Balt. much attention. I have a friend in DC who says I have a place to crash and that Camden is not too far away. Maybe I'll do that next year, thx.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
As long as you agree to pay for our tickets as usual and have sex with us, maybe Jason and I will go with you next year.

:huh:

LMAO!!! :lolhitting

This was my first solo trip in a long while.. my "host" could not believe I was there alone. But Jim knew what we would spend our time doing when we weren't at the park.... eating... well actually.. me watching him eat :lol:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Great tips, I've never really paid Balt. much attention. I have a friend in DC who says I have a place to crash and that Camden is not too far away. Maybe I'll do that next year, thx.

Definitely do it. Depending on where he lives DC is approx 25 minutes from Camden.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Definitely do it. Depending on where he lives DC is approx 25 minutes from Camden.

Don't know how you get there, but it is always 1 hr + for me from Alexandria. Only the northernmost Maryland suburbs can get to Camden in less that 1/2 hour. Plan on a pretty good trip if you go - leave DC about 5 pm. for weekday night games and 11:45 for weekend 1:20 p.m. games.

It's a beautiful park - the club level is nice (but more expensive) and the surrounding area has some great places. Tip - there's great food outside the park on the street parallel to the RF wall - you can even get pretty good bratwurst and polish sausage.

Boog's BBQ inside the stadium is expensive but good. Greatest BBQ sauce ever.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
Don't know how you get there, but it is always 1 hr + for me from Alexandria.  Only the northernmost Maryland suburbs can get to Camden in less that 1/2 hour.  Plan on a pretty good trip if you go - leave DC about 5 pm. for weekday night games and 11:45 for weekend 1:20 p.m. games.

It's a beautiful park - the club level is nice (but more expensive) and the surrounding area has some great places.  Tip - there's great food outside the park on the street parallel to the RF wall - you can even get pretty good bratwurst and polish sausage.

Boog's BBQ inside the stadium is expensive but good.  Greatest BBQ sauce ever.

Really... ? I never remember it being that far. Just hop on the expressway and off ya go. They did build 2 new access ramps practically right into the Raven's lots so maybe that's part of the time saver..? Of course.. I am always driving towards DC and never into B'More for a game.

We weren't loud and disrespectful whatsoever, thats just the thing.

We had a rows of O's fans in front and behind us and we were all laughing buying each other beer and having a good time with them.

I am just talking more or less about certain people.

I never said Baltimore is terrible, but if you've ever been in downtown joliet, there are alot of things in common minus the inner harbor.