Takatsu is released!

S720

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
i really don't think this was the right move.  I'm sorry but why not give him a chance to get his s*** straight in Charlotte.  John Adkins stinks.

Kenny Williams made several comments about wanting to do right by Shingo because of how well he pitched last season, so I think Shingo may have reconsidered his minor league stay, and asked to be released, and KW probably didn't want to stand in his way.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Long reliever.  We'll hardly see Adkins pitch, I assume.

Why were they using him as a starter when he got sent down in the spring? I'm not b****in or anything...just wondering what the Sox brass thinking was...just to get him more innings? I think Adkins could be pretty good...he just has a tendency to give up too many long balls if I recall.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
Why were they using him as a starter when he got sent down in the spring?  I'm not b****in or anything...just wondering what the Sox brass thinking was...just to get him more innings?  I think Adkins could be pretty good...he just has a tendency to give up too many long balls if I recall.

that might be putting it lightly. Hitters hit .305 against him last year with a .504 Slugging Pct. He also gave up 13 Home Runs last year. Not very good.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Kenny Williams made several comments about wanting to do right by Shingo because of how well he pitched last season, so I think Shingo may have reconsidered his minor league stay, and asked to be released, and KW probably didn't want to stand in his way.

I would be willing to bet a team contacted his agent and told him that they would sign him and put him in their pen tomorrow...

We were all shocked by the sudden release after he accepted the option to Charlotte. Well, apparently, Shingo had second thoughts.

After failing to show up to Class AAA Charlotte this week, reliever Shingo Takatsu was put on waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. Takatsu was designated for assignment July 18 to make room on the roster for Orlando Hernandez. He was optioned to Charlotte on Thursday.

Takatsu had 19 saves in 20 chances last season but had a 5.97 ERA during the first half this season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
This saddens me. I boguht 2 of his cards, quite expensive, because I knew he was goging to stay in Charlotte. I also hav his jersey. IMO, Shingo > Adkins. I don't like the move but he will remain one of my favorite Sox of all-time. I wish him luck and I hope someone signs him and he PWNS.

GONG!!!!!!!!!!!

haha, remind me not to ask for stock investment tips from you.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Why were they using him as a starter when he got sent down in the spring?  I'm not b****in or anything...just wondering what the Sox brass thinking was...just to get him more innings?  I think Adkins could be pretty good...he just has a tendency to give up too many long balls if I recall.

It mainly dealt with the fact that the Knights needed starters and the Sox didn't want to rush other prospects in order to allow Adkins to pitch out of the pen. Plus, Adkins has primarily been a starter in his minor league career.

Basically put, it was supposed to help the Knights win (him being in the rotation)...it just didn't happen.

As far as Shingo goes, my guess is he asked to be released (maybe another team came to him and he has a better shot) and the Sox granted him that. That be my best guess cause the Sox are pretty classy when it comes to these things.

No matter what, I wish Mr. Zero the best.