A Long Way Back

Chisoxfn

A Long Way Back: Kris Honel's Journey Throughout Baseball

By Mike Doyle

August 1, 2005

FutureSox.com

Life was good baseball wise for Kris Honel at the end of 2003 season. The 2001 first round draft pick, 16th overall, of the Chicago White Sox finished up an impressive year by dominating the High-A Carolina League to a tune of a 3.11 ERA over 133 innings pitched. He was rewarded with a promotion to AA Birmingham where he once again pitched well, so well that he was thought of being a future front of the rotation starter by many for his hometown team. The White Sox organization and fans alike were giddy with excitement on what the future held with a starting rotation possibly consisting of Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Kris Honel, among others...MORE

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Nice work, any idea whos next for a interview?

Whoever I can get, really. I know thank to Tom that I can interview a lot of Barons players if I so desire. If you have requests for an interview, throw them out and I'll see what I can do.

I can root for Honel, but he's likely done within the organization.

He will have to be put back on the 40 man next off-season to protect him in the Rule 5 draft, and unless he puts up some impressive numbers in the second half, he'll be left off, and snatched up by another team.

That doesn't mean he won't be back, cuz I don't think he'll stick in the bigs next season. It's going to be a long road back for Honel.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)

He will have to be put back on the 40 man next off-season to protect him in the Rule 5 draft, and unless he puts up some impressive numbers in the second half, he'll be left off, and snatched up by another team.

That doesn't mean he won't be back, cuz I don't think he'll stick in the bigs next season. It's going to be a long road back for Honel.

When you have names like Kevin Walker, Pedro Lopez, Matt Smith and Joe Borchard on the 40-man, Honel should be added back if the organization has their brains functioning.

Edited by Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)

There's no way the Sox won't protect Honel.