Jon Adkins

Hanky Panky

The Sox get rid of Ross Gload & Willie Harris, & they bring back Jon Adkins? Why the hell would they make such a move? We need a worthy bullpen arm, not a lousy P.O.S. Better yet, why not keep Ross? We need another bat. I do like Geoff Blum though.

QUOTE(Hanky Panky @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
The Sox get rid of Ross Gload & Willie Harris, & they bring back Jon Adkins? Why the hell would they make such a move? We need a worthy bullpen arm, not a lousy P.O.S.

"This kid" was solid for Ozzie last year and I think the Whitesox brass are simply being loyal and men of their words. They told BMac that he would be the first person up if they needed a starter and he was. They told Adkins that when they needed a bullpen arm and the situation dictated, he would get the call. Well, the earlier situation with Marte out dictated Kevin "Left-handed pitcher and that is about all I am" Walker get the call but now when they simply need another bullpen arm, they are calling up Adkins as they promised. The Jenks call-up was more of KW and Ozzie's drool fantasy over his nasty stuff so when you see someone that you have a woody over do something promising, you bring them up and send the Japanese import packing! :usa

I think they tried to increase Adkins trade value by making him a starter again at AAA (and with his Major League experience) but he stunk it up transitioning back to his previous role, so I think they are seeing if he can fill in a long-relief role as needed (i.e. every other start by Contreras). I don't see anything wrong with that. Sure Bajenaru could have gotten the call but I think he will be up in Sept and have a more situational role as he is accustomed to as opposed to long relief.

Edited by heirdog

thanks for the insight.

Perfectly stated Rock.

Guillen has been quoted several times as to why this was done, I guess some of these people aren't reading the papers. Adkins was brought up to take the strain off some of the better bullpen arms. Those are the same arms that will need to be in top shape come Sept. and Oct.

Gload would be playing once a week, with the odd pinch hitting assignment or late inning defensive replacement. Blum can fill in at 1B and Timo can pinch hit.

I fail to understand why people can't see it's a good idea to keep the arms as fresh as possible. As for getting a better option than Adkins, I agree, Adkins is nothing special but his role on this team is to pitch the nothing special innings.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
"This kid" was solid for Ozzie last year and I think the Whitesox brass are simply being loyal and men of their words.  They told BMac that he would be the first person up if they needed a starter and he was.  They told Adkins that when they needed a bullpen arm and the situation dictated, he would get the call.  Well, the earlier situation with Marte out dictated Kevin "Left-handed pitcher and that is about all I am" Walker get the call but now when they simply need another bullpen arm, they are calling up Adkins as they promised.  The Jenks call-up was more of KW and Ozzie's drool fantasy over his nasty stuff so when you see someone that you have a woody over do something promising, you bring them up and send the Japanese import packing!  :usa

I think they tried to increase Adkins trade value by making him a starter again at AAA (and with his Major League experience) but he stunk it up transitioning back to his previous role, so I think they are seeing if he can fill in a long-relief role as needed (i.e. every other start by Contreras).  I don't see anything wrong with that.  Sure Bajenaru could have gotten the call but I think he will be up in Sept and have a more situational role as he is accustomed to as opposed to long relief.

Good job. Man, I really hope Adkins is absolutely solid out of the pen so everyone just shuts the hell up about Baj.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Good job.  Man, I really hope Adkins is absolutely solid out of the pen so everyone just shuts the hell up about Baj.

only real memory I have of adkins is the begining of the season last year when he pitched very well vs the Yankees and everyone loved him at least for awhile.

Good job.  Man, I really hope Adkins is absolutely solid out of the pen so everyone just shuts the hell up about Baj.

I suspect Adkins will be his normal average run of the mill self. And people here will scream that he sucks, he blows, and why not Baj or Munoz or Diaz, etc. They are all peas in the same pod. The role is the same and that's to eat some innings and keep the other arms fresher. Except for Baj is not set up to go multiple innings and Ozzie thinks Adkins is a better fit than Diaz. Ozzie was pretty frustrated with Diaz last year ... as I recall Diaz wouldn't pitch inside.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
I suspect Adkins will be his normal average run of the mill self.  And people here will scream that he sucks, he blows, and why not Baj or Munoz or Diaz, etc.  They are all peas in the same pod.  The role is the same and that's to eat some innings and keep the other arms fresher.  Except for Baj is not set up to go multiple innings and Ozzie thinks Adkins is a better fit than Diaz.  Ozzie was pretty frustrated with Diaz last year ... as I recall Diaz wouldn't pitch inside.

Do you really want to know why they brought up Adkins? Anyone who knows him or has met him, check out the brown paper sack he brings to the bullpen every game, and ask him whats in it, that will clear it all up for you guys.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Do you really want to know why they brought up Adkins?  Anyone who knows him or has met him, check out the brown paper sack he brings to the bullpen every game, and ask him whats in it, that will clear it all up for you guys.

So the guy brings a lunch to the game. What's the f'n problem with that?

If I'm Willie down in triple AAA. I'm bunting every at bat. He needs to get good at that if he ever wants to be back up here. Bunt when they're expecting bunt. Bunt when they're not. Bunt to the left and to the right. Bunt hard, soft, medium....Bunt to second, like Pods does sometimes....learn all aspects of it...

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
If I'm Willie down in triple AAA.  I'm bunting every at bat.  He needs to get good at that if he ever wants to be back up here.  Bunt when they're expecting bunt.  Bunt when they're not.  Bunt to the left and to the right.  Bunt hard, soft, medium....Bunt to second, like Pods does sometimes....learn all aspects of it...

Good bunters get on even when the D expects it, exmpl. Butler, Lofton, Vizquel, Coleman, McGee .. they put them down even when infield was charging and got on. I truly believe Willie is a lost cause.. otherwise Baltimore would have never traded him.

We have a 15.5 game lead. People are still complaining. Is it ever going to stop? I don't see anything wrong with Adkins being here. He takes the strain off the bullpen arms, especially with the Cubans going back-to-back. He pitched OK last year. He was just overused towards the end last year, which is why his ERA was in the high 4s.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
LOL, in the MINORS. Willie has yet to come close to duplicating those numbers.

And last year he posted a .342 OBP, around .360 vs righties.

Along with being about three runs better than the average secondbaseman in 77 games.

Someone will grab him.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
LOL, in the MINORS. Willie has yet to come close to duplicating those numbers.

No s*** sherlock, way to miss the point.

He said the O's knew Willie sucked, how would they know that after he hit .305 and swiped over 50?

:banghead

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
So the guy brings a lunch to the game.  What's the f'n problem with that?

Its not a lunch...Thats what I asked him about first, we have called him sack lunch since we first saw him do that. But its not a lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

the suspense already ruined the truth. It wasnt meant as a big deal.

Basically I sat behind the bullpen for about 40 games last year. I always saw adkins coming in the pen before the game with a brown paper bag. After much deliberation about his weight etc, we decided that it was a lunch and begun asking him if he had a turkey or ham sandwich for that game. This then morphed into us just calling him sack lunch, and then just sack. The nickname sort of fits him. So after about 25 games of this, we finally meet him at Joes one night and get to ask him whats in the sack. Apparently he brings a Giant sack of Candy to the bullpen every game for the other guys and himself. Which is why we believe that he is so well received in the clubhouse. See, not a huge deal.