Do the Sox need to look over their shoulders

SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(Tadahito15 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
People, it seems like the playoff team who gets a big momentum changing series (Pudge holding ball w/marlins, red sox coming back after down 3-0) always propels themselves to their highest playing ability. Suppose we do get Oakland in the first round. Oakland has really sucked in the playoffs. If our team pulls out a big first round win against a team that has always owned them, just think of how good they would feel and how much that would pump them up. That could be the big momentum builder in the postseason. Either way, I would like to see us prove to Oakland and ourselves that we can beat them. And for right now, JUST ENJOY THIS MAGICAL SEASON!

:notworthy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
This may seem ridiculous, and it probably is, but Oakland is 9 back of the Sox.  In recent years, they have often gotten really hot in the second half and just not let up.  They are doing it again.  Do you think there is any remote concern they could catch them if they win 40-45 of their remaining 56 games and the Sox play .500?

Where did you say that??????

If the sky is falling I will use you as an umbrella.

Wow, upon starting this thread, I thought it would be flamed and put to an early grave. I appreciate the serious discussion on it. FWIW the only reason I brought it up was because of possible home field playoff implications. I can live with playing Oakland; I would just rather play against them in Chicago. Now, as has been mentioned, if Oakland has the best record, they have home field advanatage for the first series, which wouldn't be against the Sox. However, if both clubs advanced to the ALCS, would the team with the best record also have home field for that series? I think that much is a valid concern.

That was what I posted right before your first post. Perhaps you were typing at the same time as I was and didn't see it. In any case, its cool. Also, its really not a falling sky issue. I was just highlighting the only thing that is really in any doubt at all - home field considerations, and I do admit that there really isn't much doubt there anyway.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

What exactly is a minor concern? If Oakland makes the playoffs, we will have to face them. Big deal, we will have to face many tough opponents on the way to a WS ring.

Home field? Give me a break. I would rather NOT have home field advantage since we are a better road team anyway.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
What exactly is a minor concern?  If Oakland makes the playoffs, we will have to face them.  Big deal, we will have to face many tough opponents on the way to a WS ring.

Home field?  Give me a break.  I would rather NOT have home field advantage since we are a better road team anyway.

Buehrle and Garland should have thrown the All Star game! :D

I read on Baseball Prospectus that if they kept us their hot pace, the A's could win 97-98 games.

For the Sox to get to 100, we need to go only 31-26. We ought to do better than that.

So I'm not worried about the A's or anyone passing us for home field.

I do think they will pass the Angels, however, leaving the Angels to fight the loser of the Yankees-BoSox and possibly the Indians for the WC slot. I expect the Angels to hold on to that spot.

The result of this is likely to be the Angels coming here for the first round and the A's slugging it out with Boston or NY.

If we are facing the A's in a round 2, I'm going to be happy regardless because it will mean the Sox will have won a postseason series for the first time since 1917.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
What exactly is a minor concern?  If Oakland makes the playoffs, we will have to face them.  Big deal, we will have to face many tough opponents on the way to a WS ring.

Home field?  Give me a break.  I would rather NOT have home field advantage since we are a better road team anyway.

When we pack 38,000+ screaming folks into that stadium on a chilly night in early October...we'll see what Home Field Advantage means.

QUOTE(Bighurt52235 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:50 AM)
The wierdest f***ing thing in the world tonight... I was kind of disappointed in the Twins losing tonight.  How f***ed up.

In reality, I think we'll be better off with the A's winning the division.  I'd much rather face the Yanks, Red Sox, or Angels in the first round.

well said. If the A's stay hot, the sox keep the best record in the AL, the A's will overtake the LAA and the sox will play the wildcard

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
well said. If the A's stay hot, the sox keep the best record in the AL, the A's will overtake the LAA and the sox will play the wildcard

The Angels just finished up a road trip where they went 1-5 against the East, although they're now playing Baltimore, which should help them wake up. Their offense has been anemic lately, their bullpen is absolutely exhausted, and their defense let them down several times against the Yankees.

Anaheim is only 4 games up on the Yankees in the Wild Card race right now. Don't just concede that to the AL West with Oakland's hot streak. One of those random "hot bat" surges from the Yankees could easily pull them even with Anaheim or Oakland if they ever cool off.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
The Angels just finished up a road trip where they went 1-5 against the East, although they're now playing Baltimore, which should help them wake up.  Their offense has been anemic lately, their bullpen is absolutely exhausted, and their defense let them down several times against the Yankees.

Anaheim is only 4 games up on the Yankees in the Wild Card race right now.  Don't just concede that to the AL West with Oakland's hot streak.  One of those random "hot bat" surges from the Yankees could easily pull them even with Anaheim or Oakland if they ever cool off.

I'd like the Yanks to overtake LAA. With the pitching woes of the Yanks [near the bottom of the AL in both SP and bullpen], that lineup isn't nearly has fearsome as in years past. I think a team like LAA would give the sox a harder time than the Yanks or Boston

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
I'd like the Yanks to overtake LAA. With the pitching woes of the Yanks [near the bottom of the AL in both SP and bullpen], that lineup isn't nearly has fearsome as in years past. I think a team like LAA would give the sox a harder time than the Yanks or Boston

I almost think I'd agree with you...except there's just something scary about going into Yankee Stadium in October...having to face a guy like Jeter, and then having Rivera sitting out in that bullpen.

That lineup is still pretty damn fearsome...#2 in MLB in runs scored, only a couple behind the red sox, and given that they had an anemic Giambi for about 2 months, they're only getting better.

All that said...pitching wins championships, and they Yankees don't have it. The Angels do. We do. That makes the Angels a much tougher opponent in the postseason. End of story.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
I almost think I'd agree with you...except there's just something scary about going into Yankee Stadium in October...having to face a guy like Jeter, and then having Rivera sitting out in that bullpen.

That lineup is still pretty damn fearsome...#2 in MLB in runs scored, only a couple behind the red sox, and given that they had an anemic Giambi for about 2 months, they're only getting better.

All that said...pitching wins championships, and they Yankees don't have it.  The Angels do.  We do.  That makes the Angels a much tougher opponent in the postseason.  End of story.

Pitching and defense. The yanks have neither.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
If the A's do end up with Home Field Advantage, which is highly unlikely then the playoff matchups could work out like this:

Boston @ Oakland

Anaheim @ White Sox

I'd peronally rather face the A's in the playoffs. If we can't beat them in the playoffs, then we don't deserve to be there in the first place.

If Anaheim wins the West:

Boston/Anaheim @ Anaheim/Boston

Oakland @ White Sox

I've got it all planned out.

Angels or A's vs Sox

Boston vs Angels or A's (whoever is the division winner of the West)

2nd round (hopefully)

Sox vs Angels or A's (whoever beats Boston).

Than the 1st two rounds are on the west coast (I'll have tix to every game in Anaheim and have a friend who lives up in Oakland, plus playoff tix are easy to get for the A's). So basically I can help break the west coast slump and than I fly out to Chitown to see at least one world series game :cheers :headbang

Hey, it could happen.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I've got it all planned out.

Angels or A's vs Sox

Boston vs Angels or A's (whoever is the division winner of the West)

2nd round (hopefully)

Sox vs Angels or A's (whoever beats Boston).

Than the 1st two rounds are on the west coast (I'll have tix to every game in Anaheim and have a friend who lives up in Oakland, plus playoff tix are easy to get for the A's).  So basically I can help break the west coast slump and than I fly out to Chitown to see at least one world series game :cheers :headbang

Hey, it could happen.

Want some company?

I hope we dont see the A's in teh playoffs, but I do have to say, I'd still be confident if they do. IMO this thing is partially psychological. We CAN beat the A's, it's nopt like we NEVER beat them, playing them in THEIR house is the problem. But either way, the Sox can win, they just need to stay confident.