Dead arm period?

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
:huh:

Not a ballplayer?

Dead arm "period"...oh, that's what we always referred to it as...is that time of year when SP and relievers alike either have none-stuff or have a real hard time throwing all their pitches effectively.

I know the Beltin' one has referred to it a couple times this week and I think he's on to something.

It seems our pitchers simply haven't had their A-stuff for the past week or so and I'm hoping they pull out of it quickly.

I don't know if it's a dead arm period, but I wouldn't mind seeing Ozzie ease off on the innings a little bit for his starters right now. There's been a stretch of about two weeks now where Ozzie seems to be pushing it to the extreme with his starters (ironically, besides that Garland at KC game). We're going to need these starters to be fresh towards the end of the season.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
f*** you. That was uncalled for. I don't see how that has meaning. You didn't explain the meaning of your thread in the first post. Then after that you talked down to me like I was stupid acting like I didn't know what a dead arm period is.

In case you didn't notice I also added intelligence to my other post that you ignored.

If you re-read my post, I think you'll notice I was explaining it as if I took you seriously. I honestly thought you may not have ever heard of that term before. Which, I may add, came as a suprise to me because I know you contribute to futuresox regularly.

You were trying to stir the pot...I called you on it. A-hole.

If you are going to come in a thread and post nothing more than a smiley face, why post at all?

I was wondering if anyone else thought it was that time of year.

Go Spartans.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
f*** you. That was uncalled for. I don't see how that has meaning. You didn't explain the meaning of your thread in the first post. Then after that you talked down to me like I was stupid acting like I didn't know what a dead arm period is.

In case you didn't notice I also added intelligence to my other post that you ignored.

Wow! :headshake

Anyways, yes, I agree with you Addy. Beuhrle has been a LITTLE off in his last 2 or 3 starts, Jon had a bad outing tonight, Count has been on and off, Freddy has been off lately, and El Duque is El Duque although he has been solid as of late. I dunno. The relievers seem fine, just the starters. The offense has picked it up though but the pitching needs to get beck to where it was all season.

It happens...and just about this time of year. It happens a month or so out of ST also. It's just something that occurs...and to tell you the truth...it wouldn't bother me seeing somebody like Adkins get a start (which is what he's been doing) to push everybody back a day or so.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
I know that Marte actually had it at the beginning of 04.  I also believe that Shingo went through it sometime in the middle of august last year.  It is either from being overworked a ton or not being worked at all.

You can get a dead arm from pitching regularly, you don't necessarily have to be overworked.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
You can get a dead arm from pitching regularly, you don't necessarily have to be overworked.

Exactly...and you know when you have it too. I'd get it for a stretch of about 2 weeks...but just takin' a week off or so does wonders.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Personally, I always thought the dead arm period was just an excuse used whenever a pitcher is having a poor stretch of game.  Kinda like loser's limp and Kerry Wood.

As a former pitcher (not a good one at that), I can definately tell you there is such thing as a dead arm period. It could of just been because I sucked, but I remember going through a time where you wouldn't have the pop on your fastball (not that I really had much pop) but than you'd kind of get through it and it would come back.

I'm sure it happens to big leaguers, but I consider the dead arm solely in regards to the FB, but I guess it could have an effect with your breaking pitches as well.

Of course it typically happens during spring training or early in the season or thats when it seems to happen. I also think it shows up a bit later in the season.

Dan.. the thread was bumped by a response at 8 this morning which is when I read it for the first time.. sorry I don't spend all day AND night here.. and that's when I commented on it..

The last response was at 10 this morning...

Until you just bumped it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
As a former pitcher (not a good one at that), I can definately tell you there is such thing as a dead arm period.  It could of just been because I sucked, but I remember going through a time where you wouldn't have the pop on your fastball (not that I really had much pop) but than you'd kind of get through it and it would come back.

I'm sure it happens to big leaguers, but I consider the dead arm solely in regards to the FB, but I guess it could have an effect with your breaking pitches as well.

Of course it typically happens during spring training or early in the season or thats when it seems to happen.  I also think it shows up a bit later in the season.

Having seen your "arm" first hand, all I want to know is if it is possible to get a dead arm when not being a pitcher?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Having seen your "arm" first hand, all I want to know is if it is possible to get a dead arm when not being a pitcher?

Making fun of me....next time I'll actually throw. Of course I can't even come close to my hay days. I always relive my glory years. :P