Trade

WOW

www.nba.com

Memphis, Tennessee – Memphis Grizzlies President of Basketball Operations Jerry West announced today the Grizzlies have acquired guard Eddie Jones from the Miami Heat and guard Raul Lopez from the Utah Jazz in a five-team trade also involving the Boston Celtics and New Orleans Hornets. In the deal, the Grizzlies send guards Jason Williams, Andre Emmett and guard/forward James Posey to Miami and trade newly-acquired center Greg Ostertag to Utah.

As part of the five-team trade, Miami sends Rasual Butler to New Orleans and trades Qyntel Woods, two second round draft picks and the draft rights to Albert Miralles to Boston . The Utah Jazz trades Curtis Borchardt to the Celtics and Kirk Snyder to the Hornets. The Boston Celtics send Antoine Walker to Miami and the New Orleans Hornets trade the draft rights to Roberto Duenas to Miami.

Jones, 6-6, 200 pounds, started all 80 games played with Miami last season, averaging 12.7 points, a career-high 5.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 35.5 minutes. He finished last season ranked fifth among active players, 10 th all-time, in three-point field goals made (1,301) and fourth among active players in three-point field goals attempted (3,435). The 11-year veteran has appeared in 768 regular season games with Miami (2000-01 – 2004-05), Charlotte (1998-99 – 1999-00) and the Los Angeles Lakers (1994-95 – 1998-99), averaging 16.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.82 steals, while shooting 44.1 % from the field and 37.9% from three-point range. A three-time All-Star, NBA All-Defensive Second Team selection and a one-time Eastern Conference Player of the Week, Jones has appeared in 71 postseason games, averaging 13.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 36.0 minutes.

“Eddie Jones is an All-Star caliber player who has had a terrific NBA career,” said West. “He is a great three-point shooter who will make an immediate impact on our offense, while also serving as a solid defender in the backcourt. We look forward to Eddie finishing his NBA career in Memphis.”

Lopez, 6-0, 160 pounds, played in 113 career games with Utah, averaging 6.5 points, 3.8 assists in 18.9 minutes. Last season, he averaged 5.2 points, while shooting 42.2% from the field and 81.8% from the free-throw line in just 31 games with the Jazz, while missing 48 games due to injury. Lopez was originally drafted by Utah as the 24 th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft before being released from his contract with Real Madrid in 2002 to join the Jazz.

“We thank Jason, James and Andre for their contributions to the Grizzlies,” West said. “We are especially appreciative of the efforts of Jason and James who both had a major impact on the Grizzlies’ tremendous turnaround in becoming a playoff-caliber team.”

Williams, a 6-1, 190-pound guard, averaged 10.1 points, 5.6 assists and 27.5 minutes in 71 games played last season. He became the Grizzlies’ all-time assists leader on Nov. 14 at Seattle with seven assists, finishing his Memphis career with 2041 assists. Through four seasons with Memphis, he averaged 11.9 points, 7.2 assists, 2.4 rebounds and 30.7 minutes in 284 games. He holds career averages of 11.7 points, 6.8 assists, 2.5 rebounds and 31.6 minutes, shooting 39% from the field and 31.5% from three-point range in seven NBA seasons with Sacramento (1998-99 – 2000-01) and Memphis (2001-02 – 2004-05). Originally selected by Sacramento in the first round of the 1998 draft, he was traded to Memphis along with Nick Anderson in exchange for Mike Bibby and Brent Price on June 27, 2001.

Signed as a free agent on July 24, 2003, Posey averaged 11.6 points, 1.6 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 29.0 minutes in 132 games played with Memphis. During the 2003-04 season, he was an NBA Most Improved Player of the Year candidate, ranking sixth in the NBA in steals per turnover ratio (1.21), 12 th in steals per game (1.67) and second on the team in scoring (13.7 ppg). In 451 career games with Denver (1999-00 –2002-03), Houston (2002-03) and Memphis (2003-04 – 2004-05), he holds career averages of 10.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 28.6 minutes, shooting 41.6% from the field and 82.2% from the line.

Emmett, a 6-5, 229-pound guard, played eight games with the Grizzlies last season, averaging 0.9 points, 0.3 rebounds and 3.5 minutes per game. He was originally selected by Seattle in the 2004 NBA Draft before his rights were traded to the Grizzlies in exchange for cash considerations and a 2005 second round Draft pick. In four seasons at Texas Tech, he averaged 17.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.6 assists, shooting 50% from the field, 70.3 from the free throw line and 31.2% from three-point range.

Ostertag was acquired earlier today by the Grizzlies along with Bobby Jackson from Sacramento in exchange for guard Bonzi Wells. Last season with the Kings, he averaged 1.6 points, 3.0 rebounds, and 9.9 minutes in 56 games. Originally selected by Utah with the 28 th pick in the 1995 NBA Draft, he was signed by Sacramento as a free agent in 2004. A 7-2, 280-pound center, Ostertag averaged 4.8 points, 5.6 rebounds, 1.70 blocks and 20.0 minutes in 696 regular season games with the Utah Jazz (1995-96 – 2003-04) and Sacramento Kings (2004-05).

The five-team trade is subject to all players passing team physicals.

Oh. My. God. That is a huge ass deal! How f***ing long did it take the GM's to sort that s*** out and finalize!?!?!?! Antoine Walker and Jason Williams are awesome pickups for the Heat though. Why would Memphis do this???

Edited by SoxFan1

The Heat have to be the favorites in the East next season. Three excellent additions to an already championship caliber team. Not to mention they somehow nabbed Andre Emmett, who I think will be a pretty good player. All they really need is a back-up pg. They can either resign Damon Jones or maybe pick up somebody like Tyrone Lue or Gary Payton for a cheap price.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Oh. My. God. That is a huge ass deal! How f***ing long did it take the GM's to sort that s*** out and finalize!?!?!?! Antoine Walker and Jason Williams are awesome pickups for the Heat though. Why would Memphis do this???

Easy. Eddie Jones is a Jerry West favorite, Jason Williams wore out his welcome (for the 2nd time), and Posey was stuck behind Miller and Battier, and Hakim Warrick coming on board probably didn't help much either.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
I don't think Riley makes the deal if he thought Walker would be a problem.  And,  I'm pretty sure Walker is not coming in thinkin he's gonna be "the man."

Shaq and Wade are there to pull his ass into line if he acts up. Gonna be interesting to watch though for sure.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
The Heat have to be the favorites in the East next season.  Three excellent additions to an already championship caliber team.  Not to mention they somehow nabbed Andre Emmett,  who I think will be a pretty good player.  All they really need is a back-up pg.  They can either resign Damon Jones or maybe pick up somebody like Tyrone Lue or Gary Payton for a cheap price.

IMO they already were

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
Wright is supposed to be a pretty talented player.  Plus,  they still might resign Damon Jones to back-up Williams.

Yeah, but they're ready to win now, Wright may be the better player in 5 years, but Nelson's still a pretty darn good PG. The Magic did well in trading for him for Julius Hodge.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Must have been a pain in the ass working that trade out

You knew Jerry West was going to do something. That whole team is going to look a lot more different now though, wouldn't suprise me if they targeted a big now with the MLE, considering Lorenzen Wright probably won't be back next season.

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
Jason Williams on Miami will either lead that team to a championship this season, or lead them to the dumpster with team discord.

I'm gonna go with the latter.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Yeah, but they're ready to win now, Wright may be the better player in 5 years, but Nelson's still a pretty darn good PG. The Magic did well in trading for him for Julius Hodge.

They're already a title contender. Jameer Nelson wouldn't put them any closer to a title than they are now. I'd rather take the guy who'll be better in the future in this situation.

I love Posey. He is perhaps the most unsung mid-range defender in the entire NBA. It's kind of easy not to know about him...he played for f***ing Memphis.

PG: Jason Williams

SG: Dwyane Wade/Damon Jones

SF: James Posey

PF: Antoine Walker/Udonis Haslem

C: Shaquille O'Neal/Alonzo Mourning

They have to sign Haslem and Mourning, however. If they do that, they'll actually have depth this year, which is one of the major weaknesses of last year's team. I dunno what's going on with negotiations, I haven't paid much attention.

Like a lot of y'all, I can't stand Antoine Walker. Him and White Chocolate are highly-skilled, incredibly stupid players. We'll see how things work out. I'll tell you right now that Posey is the gem. He is easily the most valuable piece (in my basketball world) involved in this trade.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
I love Posey.  He is perhaps the most unsung mid-range defender in the entire NBA.  It's kind of easy not to know about him...he played for f***ing Memphis.

PG: Jason Williams

SG: Dwyane Wade/Damon Jones

SF: James Posey

PF: Antoine Walker/Udonis Haslem

C: Shaquille O'Neal/Alonzo Mourning

They have to sign Haslem and Mourning, however.  If they do that, they'll actually have depth this year, which is one of the major weaknesses of last year's team.  I dunno what's going on with negotiations, I haven't paid much attention. 

Like a lot of y'all, I can't stand Antoine Walker.  Him and White Chocolate are highly-skilled, incredibly stupid players.  We'll see how things work out.  I'll tell you right now that Posey is the gem.  He is easily the most valuable piece (in my basketball world) involved in this trade.

Haslem re-signed with the Heat on a 5 year $30M deal IIRC. You're right on Posey though, he was a stud 2 seasons ago for the Grizzlies.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
Haslem re-signed with the Heat on a 5 year $30M deal IIRC. You're right on Posey though, he was a stud 2 seasons ago for the Grizzlies.

That's a good deal. Haslem does a lot of dirty work around the rim. He's definitely underrated. Undersized, but strong with a good head on his shoulders.

Any news on Alonzo? They need a back-up center who can play effectively for 15 minutes a game while Shaq is on the bench. I disagree with both of them being on the court at the same time, though. The foot speed just ain't there.