Trade

PG: Jason Williams

SG: Dwyane Wade/Damon Jones

SF: James Posey

PF: Antoine Walker/Udonis Haslem

C: Shaquille O'Neal/Alonzo Mourning

Don't forget Wayne Simien in there also. I could see him playing some center in the East in a pinch if Zo doesn't make it back. Dorell Wright also might start to contribute a little in a pinch, but he's still only 19 years old. I also like the Emmett acquisition, he's very experienced from college and yet is still only 22 years old. I'm not expecting much from Dorell or Andre though, except practice minutes.

I think it would be pretty interesting to see who would gain the starting job if Damon Jones makes it back also. He shoots much, much better from outside than Jason does, and he's become best friends with Shaq already. I could see some trouble brewing there with Jason, and the Heat might have to find additional suitors. Then again, Damon could sign elsewhere and it all be for not.

Needless to say, I'm excited about this trade :-).

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Don't forget Wayne Simien in there also.  I could see him playing some center in the East in a pinch if Zo doesn't make it back.

I've never even heard of him until now, as I don't follow college basketball. From what I'm reading, he's a tough guy who can give you some rebounds, but he doesn't have any NBA post moves, and he doesn't alter shots too well. He could hit some mid-range jumpers. Sounds like Udonis Haslem. Simien is 6'8 and 255 pounds, which is undersized at PF, let alone C. That will be a deep PF rotation, though. Walker/Haslem/Simien. And Walker will be playing the 3 plenty of times, so that will free up more minutes for Simien.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
That's a good deal.  Haslem does a lot of dirty work around the rim.  He's definitely underrated.  Undersized, but strong with a good head on his shoulders.

Any news on Alonzo?  They need a back-up center who can play effectively for 15 minutes a game while Shaq is on the bench.  I disagree with both of them being on the court at the same time, though.  The foot speed just ain't there.

Last report was the Heat were still waiting on Mourning to decide whether or not he wanted to play another year.

Wayne actually measured in at the pre-draft camp at a legit 6'9 258 pounds. He's also very strong and explosive in the post. He doesn't have many post moves, but he's tenacious and has a great frame. He could atleast fill in for 5-10 minutes of need be down low for Shaq. But hopefully he will get to play beside Shaq more often than in his place.

I have a feeling that this trade will either be really good or really bad. At worst, I think it will end up like Malone/Payton in LA where neither lived up to expectations and it resulted in a flawed team. Best case, Walker/Williams know their roles and give them some needed alternate options. I definitely like Posey though, he's a solid all-around player and was an excellent player a few years ago. Miami definitely looks good on paper though. I'll be interested to see how the East goes. Miami and Indianapolis look like real threats to Detroit.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
I have a feeling that this trade will either be really good or really bad. At worst, I think it will end up like Malone/Payton in LA where neither lived up to expectations and it resulted in a flawed team. Best case, Walker/Williams know their roles and give them some needed alternate options. I definitely like Posey though, he's a solid all-around player and was an excellent player a few years ago. Miami definitely looks good on paper though. I'll be interested to see how the East goes. Miami and Indianapolis look like real threats to Detroit.

Detroit will almost certainly be in a whole heap of trouble without Brown running that defense.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
They'll still have the best defensive personnel in the NBA.  Dumars ain't gonna hire some clown who thinks that championships are won with offense.

Isn't Flip Saunders considered an offensive guy? That's everything I've read (offensive in the sense of being good at coaching offense, not in the other sense)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Isn't Flip Saunders considered an offensive guy?  That's everything I've read (offensive in the sense of being good at coaching offense, not in the other sense)

Dumars tells the press what Flip told him:

"Joe, we spent a lot of time in Minnesota on defense, we just didn't have the players to carry it out.'"

Quote from Flip:

"My teams are teams that play intelligently and play efficiently. A team takes the personality of the players. This team is bred to be a defensive team because of the personality of the players they have. I can assure you, and anybody else that has any questions about whether we will defend or not -- we will defend. That's something I will demand of the players, and that's something they will demand of themselves."

I don't really like Flip too much, though. Carlisle is plotting his revenge against the Pistons as I type this. It could be Rick's time to shine.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
I don't really like Flip too much, though. Carlisle is plotting his revenge against the Pistons as I type this.  It could be Rick's time to shine.

I love what Skiles has done as much as the next man, but God, when Detroit cut him for Brown, I was praying the Bulls would make a run at Rick as a replacement for Cartwright.