3 hole hitter

IlliniKrush

Just my opinion, but i don't like Everett hitting 3rd, and i haven't for a while. I think he's been riding this "hot streak" to start the year for too long, and i think Ozzie likes him a bit too much. He also seems to strike out way too much with runners on. I just don't see him as the 3 hitter we need the rest of the way, and in the playoffs.

I'd like to see Dye take over in the 3rd spot. He's been very hot for a while now and has been a better hitter than Everett the past few years. Overall, i think he has much more potential to flourish in the 3 hole than Everett.

While i'm at it, i don't see why Rowand bats 7th batting close to .290 with all these s***ty averages in front of him. I realize the power numbers aren't up to snuff, but at least the guy is hitting.

Everett should be moved down; I agree with that.

This is going to end up turning into a tweak the lineup thread, and I just have to say one thing.

Pods and Gooch should be the 1-2 in every lineup that is going to be written out in the rest of this thread. Yes, Gooch could have better numbers in a different spot in the lineup, but he's the only one that's going to have the success rate and patience to do what he's done behind Pods this year.

Edited by greasywheels121

Leave ARow where he's at. The only other place I'd want him in the lineup is 2nd...and that ain't gonna happen with Gooch. Oz really doesn't have a whole lotta choice right now...and I really dont' wanna see who bat's third by who's hot...if that's the case...hell...bat AJ 3rd.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
Everett should be moved down; I agree with that.

This is going to end up turning into a tweak the lineup thread, and I just have to say one thing.

Pods and Gooch should be the 1-2 in every lineup that is going to be written out in the rest of this thread.  Yes, Gooch could have better numbers in a different spot in the lineup, but he's the only one that's going to have the success rate and patience to do what he's done behind Pods this year.

Yeah Greasy it probly will turn into that. However, i agree with your 1-2 punch.

But with the division in hand, i think now is the time to tinker if you're going to tinker, see what works, and have the best lineup possible for the playoffs. If we're 2 up in the division, it may be a weird time to start shuffling guys around.

Seems like Everett hits a long one once in a while, otherwise it's an out, and not even a productive out with a guy on 3rd. Thing is, we already have one of those guys behing him in Konerko. You have to break them up.

Furthermore, your 3 hitter is usually your best all around hitter. Is Carl really that guy on our team? I just don't see it.

I don't think Carl is even in the top 5 of hitters on our team. He's bad against righties, first off...Secondly, his pultry ~.300 OBP and .749 OPS in the 3 hole is ridiculous for a team that has 69 wins. Both AJ and Dye would be better in the 3 hole. Both trounce Carl's OBP and OPS. Dye has my vote....We could sure use a big time DH

We might all think a change should be made.....but Ozzie isn't changing s***, as long as we're winning games. I'm not sure I want either Rowand or Everett batting 3rd. Rowand hasn't shown me much of an ability at all this season to knock in runs. How long before someone brings up Huff in this thread?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
We might all think a change should be made.....but Ozzie isn't changing s***, as long as we're winning games.  I'm not sure I want either Rowand or Everett batting 3rd.  Rowand hasn't shown me much of an ability at all this season to knock in runs. How long before someone brings up Huff in this thread?

Post 12.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:22 AM)
Very well played.

Anyway, get over any other guys coming in to help this lineup. Let's just figure something out with the guys we have, eh?

Just for the record, I wasn't saying that we needed Huff for this lineup. It was clear once that Manny trade was proposed that there was no way the Sox were going to give up as much as they wanted for Huff/Baez. Ozzie isn't going to take Everett out of the 3rd hole, as he likes going lefty/righty as much as he possibly can.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
Just for the record, I wasn't saying that we needed Huff for this lineup.  It was clear once that Manny trade was proposed that there was no way the Sox were going to give up as much as they wanted for Huff/Baez.  Ozzie isn't going to take Everett out of the 3rd hole, as he likes going lefty/righty as much as he possibly can.

I know, i know.

Going righty/lefty just for the sake of going righty/lefty doesn't do too much. Besides, Everett is switch.

If he really wanted to do that, he could do something like Dye/Pierz/Konerko/Everett. I'm not suggesting it, though. Although it's not terrible.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:30 AM)
I know, i know.

Going righty/lefty just for the sake of going righty/lefty doesn't do too much. Besides, Everett is switch.

If he really wanted to do that, he could do something like Dye/Pierz/Konerko/Everett. I'm not suggesting it, though. Although it's not terrible.

Just so you know, Ozzie was on the pregame show today saying that the reason he put Blum in the 8 hole was so he could go lefty/righty. Something that makes me worry about Everett is that he'll try to hard to produce with Frank out. He had a massive uppercut going in his swing tonight. At least he's not swinging and missing at everything like he was a few months ago.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
Just so you know, Ozzie was on the pregame show today saying that the reason he put Blum in the 8 hole was so he could go lefty/righty.  Something that makes me worry about Everett is that he'll try to hard to produce with Frank out.  He had a massive uppercut going in his swing tonight.  At least he's not swinging and missing at everything like he was a few months ago.

Interesting, i didn't hear that. I don't disagree with doing it if it works. Causes matchup problems. However, i find it odd he'd be worried about his 7/8/9 hitters going r/l/r. I doubt any bullpen is going to be worried about using 3 relievers at the bottom of our lineup. I didn't think anything of it when i saw the lineup, i just figured Blum fit into the 8th hole tonight, nothing more.

And yeah, i'm worried about Everett's approach at the plate as well.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
i think give arow a shot or put arow 2nd and iguchi 3rd so he can show off his power

I agree with this.

Iguchi is probably the best hitter we have average-wise.

He has wasted a lot of at-bats bunting and swinging at balls outside the strike zone so that Pods can steal.

A-Row can be a #2 guy easily.

He has the experience of years past in the #2 spot.

Ugh, messing with the top of the order is the worse possible thing to do(and by top of the order I mean 1 and 2). Carl's not the best three hitter in the world and Jermaine probably should be up there but Carl's been clutch as all hell this year and ozzie likes him in that slot.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
I know, i know.

Don't you dare let the manager from the Northside hear you say that.

Lee

BURNITZ

Ramierz

...are you kidding me? :headshake

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
i think this thread screams, make your lineup:

Podsednik

Iguchi

Dye

Konerko

Everett

AJ

Rowand

Crede

Uribe

These guys get on

Pods

Gooch

These two are good fastball hitters that should get fastball counts because of Gooch and Pods on base

Arow

Dye

These guys wouldnt hurt us as much. If they are on they get runners to drive in, if they are not Arow and Dye have good ops to drive in the run ahead of them.

Kong

Everett

Here is a solid last part of the lineup

AJ

Crede

Uribe