August 3rd Game thread

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
You do know there have been teams that lost a double digit lead in August?  Ask the Angels about that when the Mariners came from way behind to beat them in a play-in game.

Do you honestly think this team is not going to make the playoffs? Sure it's possible that we don't. But are you really that cynical?

Edited by greasywheels121

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
i'm sorry for having some faith in the best sox team we've had in a long time.

how dare i

I am not worried about them losing the division. That would be a collapse of record holding magnitude.

I am worried about our reliance on the longball. Our hitters are not shortening their swings up at all with 2 strikes. This is probably why so many of our hitters have low BA, lots of homers and a lot of strikeouts.

Men on, less than 2 outs, shorten the swing up a bit and make contact. If you put the ball in play sometimes the ball can fall.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
Do you honestly think this team is not going to make the playoffs?  Sure it's possible that we don't.  But are you really that cynical?

Expect the worst, hope for the best. I think that is his philosophy and I am sticking with that too.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
Somebody has to wake Podsednik up.  He cant hit or steal or even take a walk.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
This game blowed.  Podsednik is just terrible now 2 for his last 25. 

Bad stretch, but I'm not too worried.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
Do you honestly think this team is not going to make the playoffs?  Sure it's possible.  Are you that cynical?

I think there's a great chance that we do. However, I see our schedule the rest of the way, and there are definitely a lot of teams that WILL beat us if we don't play better at home. Also, with the numerous games we have left against the Twins, there's no telling how those games will play out. I'm not saying it's likely the Sox don't make the playoffs.....but it definitely wouldn't be the biggest surprise I've ever seen in sports. Who would have ever thought Illinois would come from behind and beat Arizona when down 15 with 4 minutes left? Sure, the refs resembled Helen Keller...but it was still a miracle.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Men on, less than 2 outs, shorten the swing up a bit and make contact.  If you put the ball in play sometimes the ball can fall.

And sometimes it can go into a double play............

Had some computer problems during the game, but just wanted to come back and say that 8th inning at bat for Crede was f***ing pathetic. He had no plan. Usually if the guy goes away the first two pitches, you should adjust and look away.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
Expect the worst, hope for the best. I think that is his philosophy and I am sticking with that too.

My feeling right now is that if we can't make the playoffs after having a 15 game lead after August 2nd.....you don't deserve to make the f***ing playoffs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
Who would have ever thought Illinois would come from behind and beat Arizona when down 15 with 4 minutes left?  Sure, the refs resembled Helen Keller...but it was still a miracle.

You lost your point right there

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
And sometimes it can go into a double play............

We did a great job of hitting it the opposite way in Baltimore. Then, when we come home, we try to pull just about everything. That's why I feel our offense is struggling. Also, someone needs to tell Crede that it's ok to strikeout sometimes....but swing the f***ing bat like a MLB player. No more of this flipping the bat s*** and popping up to 1b.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
You lost your point right there

How so? Not to make this into a basketball thread, but that was some awful officiating in that game, which helped the Illini comeback. And BTW, I'm a Illini alumnus....so this isn't sour grapes.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
Who would have ever thought Illinois would come from behind and beat Arizona when down 15 with 4 minutes left?  Sure, the refs resembled Helen Keller...but it was still a miracle.

:lol:

Yeah, those weren't the cleanest steals...

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
How so?  Not to make this into a basketball thread, but that was some awful officiating in that game, which helped the Illini comeback.  And BTW, I'm a Illini alumnus....so this isn't sour grapes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Remind me of the foul totals at the half

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:18 AM)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Remind me of the foul totals at the half

Again, I really don't want to make this into a basketball thread. Sorry mods...I was just trying to use an example of something completely unexpected happening in sports.

QUOTE(Brian @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
Had some computer problems during the game, but just wanted to come back and say that 8th inning at bat for Crede was f***ing pathetic. He had no plan. Usually if the guy goes away the first two pitches, you should adjust and look away.

Considering that just about every single pitcher throws the sox away they would get a clue.

But I guess they think they can get around on that pitch on the outside corner.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
Btw Fathom, the hate comment was just joking around. :D

Don't worry about it. Even if you do, it doesn't make either of us right or wrong. We have difference of opinions about most things.....s*** happens. :cheers

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Burger-King-shirt-link-your.jpg

The Sox don't do this often; I'm going to choose to enjoy this.

Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying this just as much as the next big Sox fan but IMO, he is right, brace yourself for the worst but hope for the best.