Mariotti vs. Scoop Jackson

I personally think both of these guys are pot stirring morons, but this could get fun.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=jackson/050802

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay03.html

For those of you who don't feel lilke reading it, Jackson basically called the Chicago media racist for saying Dusty should be fired. He quoted Mariotti and specifically called out several white sports journalists.

Mariotti fired back in his column today.

:wub:

Baker did a great job in his first season, but like much of Cubdom, he seemed to die a little death on Oct. 14, 2003, also known as Bartman Night.
I love that night. :D

Sorry Busty Daker, you have not lived up to the hype and Chicagoans are going to trash ya. Duh, welcome to the Windy City and the sometimes not Friendly Confines.

I'm defending Mariotti here.

In Jackson's world, which may still be hovering around 1967, every black person criticized for their work must be racist. Forget Dusty's mismanagement of his starting rotation and clubhouse. Or possibly his odd behavior in press conferences or stubborness in relation to sticking with veteran players too long.

Scoop is simply substituting for Jesse Jackson in distributing the race card. It's ridiculous. I'd like to say more, but I'd only be labeled a racist for hating on a brutha.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
mariotti should say jackson is being racist.

white guys gotta be able to pull the race card too.

I agree. Jackson is just a trouble maker and I think they brought him in to replace Ralph Wiley. Jackson isn't a tenth of the writer Wiley was.

Yeah this is one of the few times I can agree with Mariotti. I had a Hindi family that was moving away from our block. The little kid came up and said that they had a going away party, but it was only for the Indian community and whites couldn't come. I was so mad, it wasn't because I wanted to go to the party, but just that I knew if I had a going away party only for the white community, I'd be considered a racist. Anyways that's my recent story, care to add stories or whatever if you want......

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
Yeah this is one of the few times I can agree with Mariotti. I had a Hindi family that was moving away from our block. The little kid came up and said that they had a going away party, but it was only for the Indian community and whites couldn't come. I was so mad, it wasn't because I wanted to go to the party, but just that I knew if I had a going away party only for the white community, I'd be considered a racist. Anyways that's my recent story, care to add stories or whatever if you want......

you could go on to talk about the whole "original kings of comedy" and stuff like that.

It's a double standard that isn't going to go away.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Scoop writes 1 bad column for every 30 s***ty marriotti columns. :headshake

But I shouldn't be surprised that all you white guys are taking his side when race is brought up.      :P

If nothing else, can we at least point to the fact that we're fans of a team with an African American GM, a hispanic manager (who replaced an African American one), an African American broadcaster, and a Japanese 2nd baseman and say that maybe the south side community just doesn't care at all about what race people in baseball are?

These guys are both jackoffs. Sports is one thing in our society in which race is really not an issue. You have blacks, whites, latins, asians, and other ethnic groups playing as one. these two turds are just trying to come up with a story. Its not basketball season so Scoop doesnt know what to write about and the White Sox are good and the Cubs are bad so Marioti has nothing to write about so thats why stupid s*** like this is written.

QUOTE(Benson&Rexage @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
These guys are both jackoffs. Sports is one thing in our society in which race is really not an issue. You have blacks, whites, latins, asians, and other ethnic groups playing as one. these two turds are just trying to come up with a story. Its not basketball season so Scoop doesnt know what to write about and the White Sox are good and the Cubs are bad so Marioti has nothing to write about so thats why stupid s*** like this is written.

Um, I'm pretty sure that race is an issue in sports, as it is everywhere else. Take the NFL for instance: Based on the complete lack of minority coaches, it is expected that a minority be interviewed for a coaching vacancy. In the NBA, age limits have been criticised for being racist because they mostly affect inner-city black athletes.

Now, I don't want to get into who is right or wrong in instances like this, but to say that "race is really not an issue" in sports would be incorrect. It may not be as evident in sports as some other areas in society, but its definitely an issue.

Edited by KevHead0881

WELL MINORITY COACHES MAY BE AN ISSUE IN SOME CITIES BUT NOT CHICAGO SO THESE ARTICLES HOLD NO WEIGHT.

CHICAGO HAS A BLACK AND LATIN BASEBALL MANAGER

A BLACK FOOTBALL COACH AND THE BASKETBALL COACH BEFORE SKILES WAS BLACK AS WELL AS THE HOOPS COACH FOR UIC

SO RACE IS NOT AN ISSUE IN THIS CITY SO THESE ARTICLES ARE IRRELEVANT

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Um, I'm pretty sure that race is an issue in sports, as it is everywhere else. Take the NFL for instance:  Based on the complete lack of minority coaches, it is expected that a minority be interviewed for a coaching vacancy.  In the NBA, age limits have been criticised for being racist because they mostly affect inner-city black athletes.

Now, I don't want to get into who is right or wrong in instances like this, but to say that "race is really not an issue" in sports would be incorrect.  It may not be as evident in sports as some other areas in society, but its definitely an issue.

It definately can be an issue, but in many cases it is made into an issue in cases where it should not be. This is one of those cases.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
It definately can be an issue, but in many cases it is made into an issue in cases where it should not be.  This is one of those cases.

I agree that the race card does not apply in this issue. And I do think that Scoop is wrongfully applying the race card here. I was just responding to the comment of race not being an issue in sports. Maybe not so much here, but its out there. For instance, while we do have an African-American GM, he is only one of a couple minority GM's in the Major Leagues. Now, I have no idea if this means that minorities are missing out in these positions because of their skin color, but with the reality being as it is, it certainly is an issue that has raised concerns.

My point is, valid or not, the race issue exists.

I agree that the race card does not apply in this issue.  And I do think that Scoop is wrongfully applying the race card here.  I was just responding to the comment of race not being an issue in sports.  Maybe not so much here, but its out there.  For instance, while we do have an African-American GM, he is only one of a couple minority GM's in the Major Leagues.  Now, I have no idea if this means that minorities are missing out in these positions because of their skin color, but with the reality being as it is, it certainly is an issue that has raised concerns.

My point is, valid or not, the race issue exists.

Avoid the Clap- Jimmy Dugan

That may be the funniest damn thing I have ever read.

HOOOOOO

Scoop Jackson is currently doing a chat at ESPN.com. Some incredibly brilliant, talented, and handsome writer got this question through.

Brian (Pasadena)

Can a white reporter/sportswriter call for the ouster of an African American coach without it being racially motivated?  How does one tell when to consider race as an issue?

SCOOP

yeah. they do everyday and race is not a part of it. i just feel taht because of the unfortunate situation that Dusty Baker has been in due to injuries and trades over the last two years he's not being given a fair shake through the media right now. And i think my point in the column is being missed: it's more about the racism that exists in my profession - the media - in the city of Chi, than it was about Dusty being black.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
Scoop Jackson is currently doing a chat at ESPN.com.  Some incredibly brilliant, talented, and handsome writer got this question through.

I'm reading this chat and he has yet to validate a single point of his. I have submitted several questions he has yet to answer. I would love to see all of the questions he will not be answering.