Vacationing Bush Poised to Set a Record

Texsox

5 weeks away from the White House

WACO, Tex., Aug. 2 -- President Bush is getting the kind of break most Americans can only dream of -- nearly five weeks away from the office, loaded with vacation time.

The president departed Tuesday for his longest stretch yet away from the White House, arriving at his Crawford ranch in the evening for a stretch of clearing brush, visiting with family and friends, and tending to some outside-the-Beltway politics. By historical standards, it is the longest presidential retreat in at least 36 years.

The August getaway is Bush's 49th trip to his cherished ranch since taking office and the 319th day that Bush has spent, entirely or partially, in Crawford -- nearly 20 percent of his presidency to date, according to Mark Knoller, a CBS Radio reporter known for keeping better records of the president's travel than the White House itself. Weekends and holidays at Camp David or at his parents' compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, bump up the proportion of Bush's time away from Washington even further.

Bush's long vacations are more than a curiosity: They play into diametrically opposite arguments about this leadership style. To critics and late-night comics, they symbolize a lackadaisical approach to the world's most important day job, an impression bolstered by Bush's two-hour midday exercise sessions and his disinclination to work nights or weekends. The more vociferous among Bush's foes have noted that he spent a month at the ranch shortly before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, when critics assert he should have been more attentive to warning signs.

To Bush and his advisers, that criticism fundamentally misunderstands his Texas sojourns. Those who think he does not remain in command, aides say, do not understand the modern presidency or Bush's own work habits. At the ranch, White House officials say, Bush continues to receive daily national security briefings, sign documents, hold teleconferences with aides and military commanders, and even meet with foreign leaders. And from the president's point of view, the long Texas stints are the best way to clear his mind and reconnect with everyday America.

"I'm looking forward to getting down there and just kind of settling in," Bush told reporters from Texas newspapers during a roundtable interview at the White House on Monday. "I'll be doing a lot of work. On the other hand, I'll also be kind of making sure my Texas roots run deep."

Thank God he's keeping those Texas roots. :D

Much more at link.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
As a matter of fact, I might go out in our parking lot and watch Air Force One land.

you are such a geek

Truth be told:

Living in Chicago during yet another Presidential visit = pissed, highways tied up.

Living in McAllen during President Clinton visit = drive by airport to see Air Force 1

Kap, which Texan are we going to make President in '08? I'm thinking the Hammer.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
you are such a geek

Truth be told:

Living in Chicago during yet another Presidential visit = pissed, highways tied up.

Living in McAllen during President Clinton visit = drive by airport to see Air Force 1

Kap, which Texan are we going to make President in '08? I'm thinking the Hammer.

Is there some green missing in that post?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
you are such a geek

Truth be told:

Oh lord, I hope not. I'm not a fan of his at all.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Oh lord, I hope not.  I'm not a fan of his at all.

No worries. I honestly couldn't see the Hammer carrying any purple state, unless the voting machines were provided by Diebold. And then it would be very close.