Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cincinnati ownership is in a serious mess, they had all those players supposedly available and couldn't get anything done besides the Randa deal. Aurelia has been chomping at the bit to get traded and they probably could've extracted more for him at the deadline.

The Sean Burroughs thing is very interesting, he's a bat control type of guy, I would love to get him for Borchard.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
Sean is in the minor leagues.  More insurance I guess.

I'd be thrilled with this move. Burroughs will never develop into the player the Pads thought he was, but he's still capable of turning into a good role player and could still turn into an average 3rd baseman.

Not a bad insurance plan, especially since Borch will be leaving the org at the end of the year.

Very interesting on the Griffey front. Giving up Young would of sucked, but I think I'd of made that deal, especially since they were getting a decent portion of the contract paid.

Who knows, it could still happen.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I'd be thrilled with this move.  Burroughs will never develop into the player the Pads thought he was, but he's still capable of turning into a good role player and could still turn into an average 3rd baseman. 

Not a bad insurance plan, especially since Borch will be leaving the org at the end of the year. 

Very interesting on the Griffey front.  Giving up Young would of sucked, but I think I'd of made that deal, especially since they were getting a decent portion of the contract paid.

Now that this is out, I don't think NY or Boston would let Griffey get through waivers.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I'd be thrilled with this move.  Burroughs will never develop into the player the Pads thought he was, but he's still capable of turning into a good role player and could still turn into an average 3rd baseman. 

Very interesting on the Griffey front.  Giving up Young would of sucked, but I think I'd of made that deal, especially since they were getting a decent portion of the contract paid.

How does the whole waiver thing work? How would a deal to get Griffey still work out?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)

:pray :pray :pray

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Would Griffey's no-trade play any part in this though?

I would assume that if he was claimed, and the claiming team could not get Griffey to waive his no-trade, the Reds would have to revoke waivers.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Would Griffey's no-trade play any part in this though?

Not with waivers. If Cincy lets him go, he is gone. Honestly I don't think either team has the money for him, especially the Yankees. Even with all of the pitching problems they had, they weren't even RUMORED to be involved in anything.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Cincinnati ownership is in a serious mess, they had all those players supposedly available and couldn't get anything done besides the Randa deal.  Aurelia has been chomping at the bit to get traded and they probably could've extracted more for him at the deadline.

The Sean Burroughs thing is very interesting, he's a bat control type of guy, I would love to get him for Borchard.

If you look before this year. He had a good average, decent OBP and a good doubles rate. He hits righties a lot better than lefties. He is fast and hit leadoff for the the Padres a bit last year. Imagine if he could play SS.

;)

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
:o

Props to Kenny for going after it.  It would've been fun.

Any way he'd clear waivers?

if anyone might clear waivers, it would be griffey and his big contract

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Now that this is out, I don't think NY or Boston would let Griffey get through waivers.

He probably already has gone through. I don't think there's the smallest chance either of these teams would risk having to take the entire portion remaining on his contract to block the White Sox from maybe acquiring him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Not with waivers.  If Cincy lets him go, he is gone.  Honestly I don't think either team has the money for him, especially the Yankees.  Even with all of the pitching problems they had, they weren't even RUMORED to be involved in anything.

I really believe that Griffey could have shot down even a straight waiver claim.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
The Yankees are desperately looking for a CF and have boatloads of money, correct?

Where do you get they have boatloads of money? If they had that much money laying around, why wouldn't they have gone after a real pitcher at the deadline instead of Shawn Chacon, Al Lieter, and Hideo Nomo?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Where do you get they have boatloads of money?  If they had that much money laying around, why wouldn't they have gone after a real pitcher at the deadline instead of Shawn Chacon, Al Lieter, and Hideo Nomo?

The Yankees have never been afraid to spend money. If George can get a HOF like Ken Griffey to play in NY, I think he would be willing to spend $14 million on him. Heck, I would spend $14 million on him if I were JR just because he brings excitment and talent.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
Where do you get they have boatloads of money?  If they had that much money laying around, why wouldn't they have gone after a real pitcher at the deadline instead of Shawn Chacon, Al Lieter, and Hideo Nomo?

Exactly. Their payroll is $208 million. Their revenue sharing and luxury tax bill is around $100 million. They are about tapped out. If they could afford bringing Griffey on, he'd be in pinstripes right now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
George Offerman is on the Score talking about how his "sources" are telling him that KW was close to a major deal.  His "sources" told him it may have been Griffey or Dunn. 

George's "sources" are a browser and google.   

What a sham he is.

He is completely useless

SoxTalk>Offman

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
The Yankees have never been afraid to spend money. If George can get a HOF like Ken Griffey to play in NY, I think he would be willing to spend $14 million on him. Heck, I would spend $14 million on him if I were JR just because he brings excitment and talent.

Its more than $14 million.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)

I know the Yankees history, but if they had so much money, why wouldn't they have put together a cash and players deal for the cashpoor Marlins, AJ Burnett? Their actions at this deadline don't fit their history at all, and I think there is a reason for it. I think they are finally at their spending limit.