Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Not with waivers.  If Cincy lets him go, he is gone.  Honestly I don't think either team has the money for him, especially the Yankees.  Even with all of the pitching problems they had, they weren't even RUMORED to be involved in anything.

I agree, no one will take him straight up, imo. Of course the Yanks could really use a CF, but I still can't see them doing it and no way does Boston do it.

I think a lot of teams learned from the time the Pads put a block on Randy Myers (who was going to go to the Braves) and then got stuck with his fat contract for a few years.

The Pads did go to the series that year...that was just an awesome team to watch.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
I know the Yankees history, but if they had so much money, why wouldn't they have put together a cash and players deal for the cashpoor Marlins, AJ Burnett?  Their actions at this deadline don't fit their history at all, and I think there is a reason for it.  I think they are finally at their spending limit.

I agree with you, but I can see King George saying "Get Griffey!" They just failed to pick up Bernie's $15M option for next season.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
The Yankees have never been afraid to spend money. If George can get a HOF like Ken Griffey to play in NY, I think he would be willing to spend $14 million on him. Heck, I would spend $14 million on him if I were JR just because he brings excitment and talent.

Maybe the Yankees are finally trying to get away from signing near end-of-career guys for gobs of money? They haven't been willing to take on much more payroll though they desperately need a CF. Boston is one of the few teams that would have the available money to take on his contract but they obviously aren't going to move Damon or put Griffey at DH.

So, using ESPN reasoning, that would leave . . . ? Baltimore? :)

Maybe we still have a shot.

Lets try to bring people up to speed on how waivers work.

Lets say the Reds put Griffey on waivers. It goes in order from worst record to best record. However, since he plays in the NL, he's gotta clear the whole NL , then worst to best in the AL.

For the sake of discussion, lets just say he made it past the NL, and Boston put in a claim on him. At this point the Reds have 3 options.

1) They can bluff and pull him back

2) Flat out sell him to Boston for a fee

3) Attempt to work out a trade

Now, lets say they decline 1 and 2, and try to work out a trade and they can't. Then it's all over. Once he's been claimed, the only teams he could play for are Reds or Red Sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
From the first post in this thread...

As far as I know Griffey is on a muti year contract. The $14 million I was writing about was not for 1 season. I'm sure with all the deferred payments and such, there is a sum closer to $50 million left on the contract. A team claiming him on waivers and being awarded him would be resposible for the balance of the contract without the Reds contributing a dime.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
He would of been an impat bat in our lineup.  This would of changed our lineup big time.

FOCKING REDS AND THEIR RIVER s***TY CHILI.

Whoa, hold the Fock up there. Do not, and I repeat do not ever say anything bad about the chili in the Nati. I crave Skyline every time I go out, and that stuff is undiscovered gold in my mind.

I will always be a Reds fan, but this was a case of them holding on too tighly to a local hero. Young could of been a star in the making for them, and really solidified their future. Rogo could of taken the place of Washed up Casey, and they would've come out looking decent in that deal. Griff prob would of Dh'ed for us alot, and we would be more deadly, but I suspect that he will still be dealt through waivers.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)

Lets say the Reds put Griffey on waivers. It goes in order from worst record to best record. However, since he plays in the NL, he's gotta clear the whole NL , then worst to best in the AL.

For the sake of discussion, lets just say he made it past the NL, and Boston put in a claim on him. At this point the Reds have 3 options.

Now, lets say they decline 1 and 2, and try to work out a trade and they can't. Then it's all over. Once he's been claimed, the only teams he could play for are Reds or Red Sox.

Thanks for that, I didn't know much about waivers. Very interesting..

Our chances look very slim.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
As far as I know Griffey is on a muti year contract. The $14 million I was writing about was not for 1 season. I'm sure with all the deferred payments and such, there is a some closer to $50 million left on the contract. A team claiming him on waivers and being awarded him would be resposible for the balance of the contract without the Reds contributing a dime.

Ok. You were talking life of the contract, we were talking per year. We're good.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
I agree with you, but I can see King George saying "Get Griffey!" They just failed to pick up Bernie's $15M option for next season.

I just thought about that, but I Think they want to get a legit CF and I'm sure most teams going after Griffey realize the best thing to do with him is to ocassionally play him in the OF, but also let him DH a good amount. He's actually a really good option cause he can play a good OF, but you can also Dh him a decent amount.

He's also from everything I've ever heard, a great guy. I think it would be a tremendous acquisition, especially since it would move Everett to the bench where he could provide a lot of depth.

I don't believe the reports, any of them. Cinci needs arms, not Chris Young. Why would they trade for Young when they would already have an OF of Dunn, Kearns and Pena? With Griffey gone they could easily afford to resign Dunn. I'm willing to bet that the prospect package would have included a Tracey or McCarthy over Young.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't believe the reports, any of them. Cinci needs arms, not Chris Young. Why would they trade for Young when they would already have an OF of Dunn, Kearns and Pena? With Griffey gone they could easily afford to resign Dunn. I'm willing to bet that the prospect package would have included a Tracey or McCarthy over Young.

You beat me to the punch... This is exactly what I was gonna post.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
We needed to upgrade at SS, and KW goes out and gets another OF.. Does that make sense?

NO, If Wookies are living on Endore.. It doesn't make sense..Does it? What do 8ft wookies have in common with 3ft Ewoks?

Yeah I mean the best hitter in the franchise's history just got hurt, why would KW try to replace him with one of the greatest powerhitters in our generation... :headshake

That's what I was wondering too. Why would they want Rogo if they have Casey and Dunn too?

Well if they are still going to try and get rid of Dunn, and Casey is rumored to be on the way out because of lack of production and hefty contract, then Young and Rogo make sense.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
That's what I was wondering too.  Why would they want Rogo if they have Casey and Dunn too?

The prospects are secondary. The main reason the Reds would trade Griffey is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Yeah I mean the best hitter in the franchise's history just got hurt, why would KW try to replace him with one of the greatest powerhitters in our generation... :headshake

To say nothing of the fact that he would be the LH power hitter we have needed for 5 years.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)

Im still kinda confused. So Boston can claim him and then if a trade doesn't get worked out...they can say forget it and then nobody gets him??? or is it if a trade doesn't get worked out either way Boston gets griffey and has to take on his whole contract?

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
Im still kinda confused.  So Boston can claim him and then if a trade doesn't get worked out...they can say forget it and then nobpody gets him???  or is it if a trade doesn't get worked out wither way Boston gets griffey and has to take on his whole contract?

That's up to Cinci. They can let him and his contract go, or revoke the waivers and pull him back.