Buehrle facing possible suspension, fine

bjm676

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

If Buehrle is suspended, in the words of our beloved Hawk, "this is BS"

Major League Baseball is investigating the developments of Monday's White Sox-Baltimore game that involved the ejection of ace pitcher Mark Buehrle.

But manager Ozzie Guillen is growing increasingly tired of the way he thinks the Sox have been treated in such exchanges.

"As soon as we do something to them, it's not fair," Guillen said. "Look at us. I think we lead the league in getting hit by pitches, and I think we're last in doing that.

"I think every time something happens, we get the warning right away."

Guillen planned to emphasize his point as soon as he is contacted by Bob Watson, MLB's vice president of on-field operations.

Guillen remained furious that Baltimore didn't receive a warning after Tadahito Iguchi and A.J. Pierzynski were hit by pitches in consecutive games but that Buehrle was tossed for hitting B.J. Surhoff in the sixth inning of a one-run game.

Sunday, Guillen said plate umpire Joe West told him not to come out of the dugout after Iguchi was hit. West told a pool reporter he didn't believe reliever Todd Williams intentionally hit Iguchi.

In a worst-case scenario, Buehrle could receive a suspension.

"I imagine I'll get fined, but I have no idea," Buehrle said. "It's all new to me."

Said Guillen: "He shouldn't be suspended. I'll pay the fine, but I don't think he should be suspended."

Saving postage stamps

After playing short-handed the final half of the 2004 season, Sox general manager Ken Williams isn't shedding a tear for Minnesota over the loss of center fielder Torii Hunter.

"I don't think anyone in Minnesota felt sorry for us when we were in first place and Frank Thomas and Magglio [Ordonez] went down," Williams said. "I didn't get any sympathy cards.

"I love Torii as a person. If I were in a uniform, he and I would have had a problem last year when he ran over Jamie Burke, but Torii is basically a good guy. But in terms of the competitiveness, I didn't get any sympathy cards."

This would be total crap if he gets suspended. I think we all know he hit the batter intentionally, but at the same time no warnings had been issued. It just would go too far to suspend him.

That said, it seems like every time a pitcher is ejected they end up getting about a 5 game suspension, so It will probably happen.

I wonder if the Sox will call up someone to pitch during that suspension or if they'll just stick with the current rotation.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
This would be total crap if he gets suspended.  I think we all know he hit the batter intentionally, but at the same time no warnings had been issued.  It just would go too far to suspend him.

That said, it seems like every time a pitcher is ejected they end up getting about a 5 game suspension, so It will probably happen. 

I wonder if the Sox will call up someone to pitch during that suspension or if they'll just stick with the current rotation.

Adkins get a fillin start.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
If Buehrle gets suspended that's some serious bulls***.

It is indeed a bunch of bulls*** if Buehrle gets suspended at all for doing what he did. They were getting drilled all series and boo-f***ing-hoo that Surhoff got sent a message to have the pitchers f***ing stop it.

The Sox are above the league average for a team getting HBP and in the top 5 for all of MLB as a team in HBP. God forbid our pitchers try to send a little message back.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I don't understand why they could suspend him?  There was no warning after out guy was plunked so where is the "suspendable" action?

Watch, they are gonna pull some bulls*** "We warned both teams no funny business prior to the game"

Its gonna get appealed and drag on for a while

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I don't understand why they could suspend him?  There was no warning after out guy was plunked so where is the "suspendable" action?

Warning is a courtesy.. there is no "rule" that says there has to be a warning issued. But it's bush league not to do so.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Adkins get a fillin start.

Excuse me while I go throw up :puke

Than again, it should be well known that I can't stand Adkins. I hope he does well though and that the reason he stunk so much in Charlotte was because he was starting.

Still, Its probably what the Sox would do, cause I'm guessing they'll stick with Brandon till September and let him continue working on what he's been doing.

Hmmmmm, Iguchi and AJ both get drilled without warnings, Buehrle drills one guy, and let's take him out of the game, and then fine and/or suspend him. WOW. That IS some MAJOR BS. Dare I say a conspiracy? It's quite interesting how much WE, the BEST team in baseball, have been drilled so much this year. And now this..........

Edited by TheBigHurt

AFter just finishing my lunch break and today's Sun-Times...let me commend KW for saying what i had been saying for a few days now. I have no sympathy for Torii Hunter or the Twins.

He doesn't play for my team...he's been a pain in the ass for the Sox for a few years..and till the day i die i believe he went a couple steps out of his way to run over Burke.

I don't know Hunter personally, and it's not like i danced in the streets when the news came down that he was hurt. I believe my first words were (sarcastically) :"

Awww...that's too bad." I also mentioned that Twins fans weren't exactly upset when we lost Frank AND Maggs last year so boo-hoo Torrii is gone.

juddling

:cheers :gosox3:

I don't think you can call up anybody while a player is suspended.

If so fill me in on the Rule

I mean you can't call up anybody for that particular player that is suspended

Edited by JoshPR

I have no objection to Buehrle evening the score against the O's. But if he wanted to avoid a suspension, then he should have refrained from all the knuckle-fives he gave in the dugout as soon as he was ejected. The message wouldn't have been lost on his teammates without the celebrations, and baseball would have been hard pressed to suspend him without that evidence against him.

He shouldn't be suspended, but the league usually will at least fine a player if they can prove that the pitcher was intentionally throwing at the batter. And Buehrle sure didn't hide it very well. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets diciplined in some form.

Still B.S. though.

We'll see what happens and it is interesting the Sox are always the bad guys in these situations.

Ozzie and co. do have a little history with some of these umps so I wouldn't be surprised if they did fine and suspend Buehrle and/or Ozzie.

Crazy Carl doesn't have the best rep and neither does Ozzie after that incident with that one ump about him not being a pimple on his fathers ass. Wendellstelt or something? Was that the same incident last year where he got an additional suspension for calling an umpire a liar?

After thinking about it I actually do expect some kind of suspension and fine to Ozzie and MB.

After Buehrle lost a pitch and hit Hafner in the head, the guy pitching for the Indians retaliated with 2 outs in the bottom half of the inning by plunking Dye. (Happily Dye came around to score). It was obvious, and everyone knew it was going to happen (Hell, I predicted it the half-inning beforehand in the chat.)

That guy wasn't suspended. No way in Hell Buehrle should be.