Buehrle facing possible suspension, fine

bjm676

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Excuse me while I go throw up  :puke

Than again, it should be well known that I can't stand Adkins.  I hope he does well though and that the reason he stunk so much in Charlotte was because he was starting. 

Still, Its probably what the Sox would do, cause I'm guessing they'll stick with Brandon till September and let him continue working on what he's been doing.

I didn't say it was an appealing option. It was a best guess at what would happen.

Fine? He doesn't deserve it, but whatever, it wouldn't affect him pitching for the Sox.

Suspension? Completely uncalled for. Any team has to expect retaliation after drilling 2 very important hitters with fastballs in 2 consecutive games. Surhoff should consider himself lucky Buehrle didn't throw a fastball.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
I was talking to Neal before the season and he had said he was impressed with the way Adkins was working and expected him to have a good chance to make the team this year.

Was it one of those things where a player sucks in the minors because he's honing a few pitches, but he'll do fine when he gets to the majors?

Kind of like Schilling last year?

Who cares if he gets suspended for a start. He could probably use the rest. Appeal it for a while and then miss a start against KC in september. With the amount of innings the guy has logged the last few seasons, missing a start could be beneficial to him down the stretch.

This isn't exactly the same situation, but it's close enough that I figured I'd point it out.

Cleveland Indians starter Kevin Millwood was suspended for five games Friday and reliever David Riske for four games for intentionally hitting batters during a game against the Seattle Mariners last week.

Indians manager Eric Wedge and bench coach Robby Thompson were each suspended one game because the beanings came after plate umpire Chris Guccione had issued warnings to both teams.

Mariners right-hander Shigetoshi Hasegawa was fined an undisclosed amount but was not suspended for intentionally hitting Cleveland's Grady Sizemore earlier in the game.

Hasegawa plunked Sizemore in the seventh inning of Cleveland's 10-5 victory at Seattle on July 29. Guccione ejected Hasegawa and warned both clubs.

Millwood retaliated in the home half by hitting Yuniesky Betancourt in the hip with his first pitch. Guccione ejected Millwood and Wedge as both team's benches and bullpens emptied, but no punches were thrown.

Riske hit Ichiro Suzuki in the back in the ninth inning. Guccione then tossed Riske and Thompson, who had taken over managing duties for Wedge.

All four Indians also were fined undisclosed amounts.

Wedge was expected to miss Friday night's game at Detroit, while Thompson is scheduled to sit out Saturday's game. Millwood and Riske were scheduled to begin their suspensions Friday night unless they file appeals.

the most glaring difference I see is that Buehrle never was warned. These teams were warned and then threw their beanballs. The Sox got pegged, got pegged again, and then retaliated and Buehrle tossed. I am hoping this is how Selig sees it if this crosses his desk as a potential fine/suspension.