"America Coming Together" GONE!

NUKE_CLEVELAND

EAT s*** SOROS!

Article is in the Washington Post today but I dont have a registration there so I can't post the link but bottom line........this group that did everything, told every lie they could think of.....and smeared a lot of good people is no-more.

ALSO......

Radio Air America is on the verge of folding due to lack of ratings and lack of money.

Link

A year ago, the liberal group America Coming Together was on the cutting edge of national politics, spending tens of millions of dollars on a massive voter-mobilization project in every presidential battleground state.

The dream was that ACT -- heavily funded by billionaire George Soros -- would play a decisive role in getting Democratic nominee John F. Kerry elected president and then remain in business as a permanent force in liberal politics.

Steve Rosenthal, who launched America Coming Together to mobilize voters for Democrat John F. Kerry, said maintaining momentum after the election proved to be harder than expected. Billionaire George Soros's heavy funding of the group ended after the election.

Instead, the group this week began sending e-mails to most of the 28 people who make up the remaining ACT staff warning that their paychecks would stop at the end of August. All the state offices have been, or are soon to be, closed.

The news represented a long fall for ACT and its sister group, the Media Fund. The groups had attracted such Democratic heavyweights as former Clinton aide Harold Ickes, Emily's List founder Ellen Malcolm and Service Employees International Union President Andrew L. Stern.

The architect of ACT was Steve Rosenthal, who had won his spurs as political director of the AFL-CIO and by 2003 was determined to build a liberal voter-mobilization organization that would be independent of the Democratic Party, labor unions or other traditional interest groups.

The idea captured the imagination of liberal donors. Soros and other wealthy contributors saw ACT as a vehicle for taking the fight to President Bush, whose policies in Iraq and at home they vehemently opposed, at a time when many Democrats in Congress were treating a war president gingerly.

Soros and his close associate -- Progressive Corp. Chairman Peter Lewis -- together put $38.5 million into ACT and the Media Fund. With this seed money, the two organizations collected $196.4 million, enough to set up voter mobilization programs in every presidential battleground state and to flood the airwaves with pro-Democratic commercials in the early spring of 2004 when Kerry's campaign was broke.

By all measures but one, ACT and the Media Fund were a great success, helping to turn out record numbers of new voters. But that one measure was the one that counted. After Bush's reelection and GOP gains in the House and Senate, Soros and Lewis pulled the plug on their support.

Soros "was disappointed by the outcome of the election," said his spokesman, Michael Vachon. "At the same time, he is very pleased with the work that ACT did."

Asked whether Soros will once again open his checkbook for ACT, Vachon said Soros's plans "are evolving and not yet nailed down."

But ACT officials are not optimistic.

For now, ACT will be reduced to a research operation, analyzing strategies to turn out key blocs of voters. Rosenthal yesterday put an upbeat face on the turn of events. "We are still forging ahead; we expect to be doing very serious research in Virginia on exurban and infrequent voters," he said.

"It has proven much tougher to sustain this as something year-round than we had anticipated," Rosenthal said. Now, he said, the task he and others face will be figuring out "just how to ramp up and ramp down" as donor interest rises and falls. Rosenthal will continue to work with ACT, but he said he now plans to start his own consulting company.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
EAT s*** SOROS!

Article is in the Washington Post today but I dont have a registration there so I can't post the link but bottom line........this group that did everything, told every lie they could think of.....and smeared a lot of good people is no-more.

ALSO......

Radio Air America is on the verge of folding due to lack of ratings and lack of money.

Where you getting that about Air America?

People keep saying that, but I'm hearing more commercials than ever on LIB. They're on the verge of being profitable.

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Where you getting that about Air America?

People keep saying that, but I'm hearing more commercials than ever on LIB. They're on the verge of being profitable.

He's simply wrong about Air America. There's a few markets that they've tried without success, but for the most part, in most cities their market share is either holding steady or growing.

For example, in New York, almost all of the talk radio stations saw their ratings decline after the election. Limbaugh went down by about 25%. Air America on the other hand stayed roughly constant. In other words, Air America's share of the listeners compared to Limbaugh actually went up after the election.

They're expanding into new markets and doing well. They're back on in LA and getting solid numbers, places like Denver are seeing excellent growth, and they're working on locking up talent for longer.

The right-wing blogosphere has been trying lately to push a scandal involving funds diverted by the guy who founded the company and was forced out for improper business dealings, but I don't think it'll be going anywhere just from the looks of it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
The right-wing blogosphere has been trying lately to push a scandal involving funds diverted by the guy who founded the company and was forced out for improper business dealings, but I don't think it'll be going anywhere just from the looks of it.

You mean like in this post?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37898

I listen to Air America once in a while on my XM. I have no idea how they stay on the air. I know the 'message' doesn't speak to me, but my god, if there a more hateful group of people in the world, I don't know where they would be. They really need to lighten up a bit.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)

I listen to Air America once in a while on my XM.  I have no idea how they stay on the air.  I know the 'message' doesn't speak to me, but my god, if there a more hateful group of people in the world, I don't know where they would be.  They really need to lighten up a bit.

So Michael Savage can say that Bill Clinton survived his heart surgery because "Hell was full", Rush Limbaugh can claim that Democrats are losing elections because they are "Aborting their own voters", Sean Hannity can refer to a marijuana lab as a "secret liberal lab", and Bill O'Reilly can say that homeless people were dying in a heat wave because they were "mentally incapable of taking care of themselves", and you can't imagine a more hateful group of people?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

I listen to Air America once in a while on my XM.  I have no idea how they stay on the air.  I know the 'message' doesn't speak to me, but my god, if there a more hateful group of people in the world, I don't know where they would be.  They really need to lighten up a bit.

I've never heard more hateful things than from people like John Gibson, Bill O'Reilly, and ANN COULTER.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
So Michael Savage can say that Bill Clinton survived his heart surgery because "Hell was full", Rush Limbaugh can claim that Democrats are losing elections because they are "Aborting their own voters", Sean Hannity can refer to a marijuana lab as a "secret liberal lab", and Bill O'Reilly can say that homeless people were dying in a heat wave because they were "mentally incapable of taking care of themselves", and you can't imagine a more hateful group of people?

HATE, Balta. While I will agree with you that Savage is pretty full of it, he is not a conservative. Same for O'Reilly. If conservatism were to backslide in popularity tomorrow, O'reilly would be a liberal next week. And Savage has come outright and said he isn't a conservative. Listen to Rush, and even Sean, and while there message may be that libs suck, and the libs have secret labs, they usually tend to TALK most of the time. I hear Randi Rhodes, and it is a wonder she hasn't died from ulcers and a heart attack. There is another guy I catch once in a while, but the name escapes me, that is just so filled with hate it is a shame. When Bush was at the press conference for the Supreme Court nominee, Rhodes was just going ballistic. She all but accused Bush of being a CURRENT cokehead, lambasted white males in general, and was downright just filled with hate. I really don't know how people can listen, at least to her. I have heard Savage before, and he is similar in many ways. No idea how eitherone gets listeners. Rush gets them from reputation, and Sean comes off as Rush Lite, and O'reilly, well, I have no explination for that one.

And to answer your question, yes, I still can't imagine a more hateful group of people (at least not on the radio or tv airwaves!).

I think Randi Rhodes is pretty damn funny. She's a bit much at times, but she's funny. But like Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, Savage, et al. she is entertainment - not news.

I actually ran WLIB's numbers in the money demographic. In the last book, they did alright. 25-54, they're at about a 2 share. Al Franken is the number two talk show in his time slot, behind Rush. Randi Rhodes is number two for half her show and drops lower at 5 oclock when the signal starts to change and she loses a portion of her audience to All Things Considered.

And by the way, WLIB's "bad ratings" in New York City means that you only reach 400,000 people a week. They do well enough.

The company that started AAR, well - they were a shell game. And corrupt. And yeah, they probably were a benefactor from the charity scam.

However, the company that currently owns AAR IS trying to make amends. They are paying the center back the money that its former parent company (and not necessarily AAR) received, the morning show is raising money for the center, and they sponsor a free summer camp through that center.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

I know the 'message' doesn't speak to me, but my god, if there a more hateful group of people in the world, I don't know where they would be.

if there a more hateful group of people in the world

What? You're joking, right?

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
I'd definitely call Al-Qaida a more hateful group.

Fred Phelps group that wants the statue in Laramie Wyoming that says that "Matthew Shepherd got what he deserved." A more hateful group.

Aryan Nation. A more hateful group.

But maybe its just me.

More hateful than Public Enemy #1 Al Franken? Surely you jest?

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
I'd definitely call Al-Qaida a more hateful group.

Fred Phelps group that wants the statue in Laramie Wyoming that says that "Matthew Shepherd got what he deserved." A more hateful group.

Aryan Nation. A more hateful group.

But maybe its just me.

You guys are always so damn LITERAL, when it suits your needs, of course. You know what I meant, and I explained it a little bit more to Balta. Notice that I added ON THE AIR, because I knew it was just a matter of time until one of you posted something like this.

Edited by EvilMonkey

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)

What? You're joking, right?

Looks like EvilMonkey has gotten into the neocon Kool-Aid....

Edited by Balance

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
You guys are always so damn LITERAL, when it suits your needs, of course. You know what I meant, and I explained it a little bit more to Balta. Notice that I added ON THE AIR, because I knew it was just a matter of time until one of you posted something like this.

Well, I would put Michael Savage ahead of AAR.

But I was just being snarky. That's why they pay me the big bucks.

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
Well, I would put Michael Savage ahead of AAR.

But I was just being snarky. That's why they pay me the big bucks.

I would put him ahead of most people as well, except maybe Randi. But we have digressed from the point. IS AAR going broke or not? Also, I have heard them SAY they have MADE PLANS to pay the money back, but not that they HAVE paid the money back. Regardless, I think they suck. And FWIW, I don't think any of the mentioned 'conservative' radio hosts are much better.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
I would put him ahead of most people as well, except maybe Randi.  But we have digressed from the point.  IS AAR going broke or not?  Also, I have heard them SAY they have MADE PLANS to pay the money back, but not that they HAVE paid the money back.  Regardless, I think they suck. And FWIW, I don't think any of the mentioned 'conservative' radio hosts are much better.

They have done some fairly dramatic expansion in the past year...pushing themselve sup to nearly 70 markets after starting with less than 10 and rapidly losing Chicago and LA.

They couldn't afford to expand into new markets and purchase the station time if they were going bankrupt. They've also given most of their talent new contracts, suggesting that they think they'll be around for a while.

According to their emails, they're averaging roughly 3 million listeners per week.

I don't think that they are really in danger of going broke anymore. Like I said, the people that own AAR at this point have been much better at getting the funding that they need and their network revenue has been increasing as well.

I'm also willing to bet they're OK because of the deal they inked with Clear Channel. CCU put them on 20 or so stations in exchange for adding Jerry Springer to their mid morning lineup. If CCU didn't think they were viable, they wouldnt have made that an option - they probably looked to make sure there was two years of life up there.