Have a cell phone?

knightni

Do you own a cell phone?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a cell phone?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
Just because you have one doesn't mean you actually have to answer it. Or even turn it on for that matter.

When I first got mine it was pretty much for emergency use only since I drive an hour to get to work. Mostly on gravel roads surrounded by cornfields.

Now I'm glad to have it because it's saved me tons of money on gas. Now I don't have to get all the way home to find out I need to pick up a few things from the store...

If I'm not going to answer it or have it on, I'm not going to pay for one.

Although we do pay for the one my wife has, but only a bare-bones minimal-minutes plan for like 15 bucks a month. If her mother lived near us, I'd never have a cell phone. Ever.

...and if I ever needed to make an emergency call, I'm SURE some kind-hearted citizen would let me use theirs....just as soon as their IMPORTANT call was done....

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
I'll go even one better. I used to have a bag phone. One of those that you had to plug into the cigarette lighter to use.  :ph34r:

My first one (circa 1984?) was a hard wired Panasonic ($1,500 2-year lease) model with an available "portable" kit for another $300 (didn't buy it). I paid $100 to move it from my sweet Cougar to a New Yorker. IIRC usage was about $.45 per minute through Ameritec. I had a huge 240 minute package.

Motorola Brick portable followed

Motorola "flip" that plugged into the car and could be used as a portable.

Then the cheap stuff hit and I've probably gone through a dozen phones.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
First got one in late 2000, now on my second phone.

Just another tidbit - most people at school don't use any sort of land line in their apartment/house or what not.

Universities have lost a great revenue stream because of cell phones.