Rebels of Oakland

ceffa2000

CNN/SI.com

So the A's are back in the playoff hunt, but how dangerous would they prove in October, if they get that far? With Barry Zito having returned to the level he pitched at when he won the Cy Young in 2002, with Harden emerging as one of the league's most dominant starters, and with Danny Haren, undefeated in his past 13 starts, getting better with each outing, there isn't another rotation in the American League I'd rather have. (Sorry, White Sox fans.)   

A ranking of the scariest playoff contenders -- if the postseason started today.         1) Astros. Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettitte should strike fear in any team.   

2) A's. The offense -- baseball's highest-scoring since the start of June -- is locked in, and Zito and Harden are a formidable pair.   

3) Cardinals. Chris Carpenter is the kind of pitcher who can dominate a postseason. But who will step up behind him?   

4) Red Sox. Still the scariest lineup in baseball, but they have too many question marks in the rotation and bullpen to instill full confidence.   

5) Braves. How will the Baby Braves perform in the glare of the postseason? Can Atlanta count on Chris Reitsma?   

6) White Sox. Combined postseason experience of Jon Garland and Mark Buehrle: 2/3 inning. Career postseason saves by Dustin Hermanson: 0.   

7) Angels. The lineup is dangerous -- Chone Figgins is one of baseball's great unknown players -- but the rotation is mediocre.  

8) Padres. Yes, the NL West is really this bad. But the Padres' addition of Chan Ho Park makes this team dangerous in a short series. Kidding.

:headshake

Edited by ceffa2000

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
CNN/SI.com

:headshake

So you think folks are afraid of this team? Face it, we've feasted on our division which is what it takes these days, but we haven't played the elite teams much, and have looked awful against the A's.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
So you think folks are afraid of this team?  Face it, we've feasted on our division which is what it takes these days, but we haven't played the elite teams much, and have looked awful against the A's.

We actually play in a pretty solid division (minus KC). And a lot of teams look awful against the As. What are you some cub troll? :P

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
we haven't played the elite teams much

Who are these elite teams you are referring to? The only team we haven't played are the Yanks and they aren't exactly elite these days. :finger

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Who are these elite teams you are referring to? The only team we haven't played are the Yanks and they aren't exactly elite these days. :finger

The A's have risen to the ranks of the elite teams with their play in the last few weeks, and the Red Sox are obv the world champs and still the team to beat. Face it, the Sox are slumping at the moment and have a horrible record in the postseason. BTW you can edit your posts so there's no reason to post twice in a row, doofwad.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
The A's have risen to the ranks of the elite teams with their play in the last few weeks, and the Red Sox are obv the world champs and still the team to beat.  Face it, the Sox are slumping at the moment and have a horrible record in the postseason.  BTW you can edit your posts so there's no reason to post twice in a row, doofwad.

We're 13-8 since the All Star Break. We're 5-2 in our last 7 games. We lose 1 series and people say we're slumping... :headshake

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
We're 13-8 since the All Star Break.  We're 5-2 in our last 7 games.  We lose 1 series and people say we're slumping... :headshake

I guess you didn't watch or listen to the game today. We looked like poo. Also, as has been cited ad nauseam, we've lost 9 of 12 of our last home games. Guess what? We're likely going to have home field advantage in the playoffs.

If we win 4 of 6 in NY and Boston I'll shut the $*&%^ up I promise

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
I guess you didn't watch or listen to the game today.  We looked like poo.  Also, as has been cited ad nauseam, we've lost 9 of 12 of our last home games.  Guess what?  We're likely going to have home field advantage in the playoffs.

If we win 4 of 6 in NY and Boston I'll shut the $*&%^ up I promise

Why the hostility?

8 posts in and you are giving people attitude.

Cmon man.

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Why the hostility?

8 posts in and you are giving people attitude.

Cmon man.

How was that hostile? My "poo" and "$%*^" were not directed at the person to whom I was replying. And for all you know my 8 posts have been made over years of avid lurking.

This team right now is very frustrating.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
We're 13-8 since the All Star Break.  We're 5-2 in our last 7 games.  We lose 1 series and people say we're slumping... :headshake

The thing is we are slumping and not playing very well, yet we're 13 and 8, that's a pretty good sign imo that we can play pretty poorly and still win games.

QUOTE(jamslam @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Why all the panic button hitters? Best record in baseball, first to 70 wins and after tonights action , probably a 15 game lead! Enjoy people.Ummm unless you are a cubs troll :gosox1:

14 game lead if Cleveland loses.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
I don't really care what the so-called experts think about our team.  They have been wrong from day 1.  All we do is win games.  More than any other team in MLB.  Oh...and doesn't El Duque give us a little bit of post season experience?

Yeah and weren't you one of the guys advocating we trade whatever it took to get AJ Burnett?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
I don't really care what the so-called experts think about our team.  They have been wrong from day 1.  All we do is win games.  More than any other team in MLB.  Oh...and doesn't El Duque give us a little bit of post season experience?

They conveniently left out Freddy Garcia, who has 34 IP of playoff experience.

I think our rotation has more post-season experience than Oakland (Zito & Haren). Yeah, they're hot right now and I would be afraid of the Sox facing them.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Yeah and weren't you one of the guys advocating we trade whatever it took to get AJ Burnett?

The deal that was on the table? Yes. Contreras is killing our bullpen. Burnett would have been a nice replacement.