Rebels of Oakland

ceffa2000

I made this post in another thread. I think it's pretty relavant to this topic:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
People talk all about the White Sox lack of experience come playoff time, hell just take a look at the A's rotation. Zito not included the other 4 starters have absolutely s*** of experience especially playoff experience.

The A's 2-5 starters have a total of 5 gms pitched and 0 GS in the playoffs which equates to 9.2 IP.

Career #s:

Harden - 59 GS

Haren - 41 GS

Saarloos - 44 GS

Blanton - 21 GS

--------------------

Total: 165 GS

Where as the Sox' 2-5 starters (- Buehrle) have a total of 31 gms pitched and 20 GS in the playoffs which equates to 147 IP.

Career #s:

Garcia - 207 GS

Garland - 147 GS

Contreras - 61 GS

Hernandez - 150 GS

------------------------

Total: 565 GS

Who's starting rotation 2-5 seems to have more experience the Sox' 31 Playoff Games and 565 career GS or the A's 5 Playoff Games and 165 career GS?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
The deal that was on the table? Yes.  Contreras is killing our bullpen.  Burnett would have been a nice replacement.

The difference between A.J Burnett (for just over 2 months) and Jose Contreras wasn't enough to get rid of Brandon McCarthy and Damaso Marte however. Contreras won't be starting come playoff time anyway.

Why do these experts seem to keep forgetting they're talking about the Chokeland A's?

I remember how great the A's were heading into the playoffs in '01, '02, '03.... I forgot what happened to them though....

QUOTE(Cali @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
Why do these experts seem to keep forgetting they're talking about the Chokeland A's?

I remember how great the A's were heading into the playoffs in '01, '02, '03.... I forgot what happened to them though....

Simple. They're in love with Billy Beane.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
Playoff experience is overrated.   The Angels of 2002 had no playoff experience hardly anywhere.  And last I checked, how many postseason series have the A's won in the last 5 years?

Don't forget to add the Marlins and Diamondbacks to that list.

Honestly, how can anyone underestimate or abilites in the playoffs? People always say pitching wins, and our rotation and bullpen has been great. People don't seem to think about the logic and just pick names. Seriously, how many postseason games has Carpenter won? How good is the Cards rotation? How much has Clement done in the playoffs? Citing the playoff experience of our starters without mentioning the lack of experience for pretty much any other team is BS. I can understand talking about the A's because they've been great of late, and the Cards are solid, but touting some of these other teams is a bit much.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Cali @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)

You didn't hear about the great Oakland A's dynasty of the 00s?

Anyone who think the Sox have no chance obviously hasn't been watching baseball in the last 4+ months. Look at the Sox starters' phenominal numbers this year. As a group they're either 1st or 2nd in the AL in every major pitching category. 1st in ERA, 1st in wins, 1st in quality starts IIRC. Then there's the pen, which has 4 solid arms that could do well in the postseason, and that's if you don't count Bobby Jenks's 99 MPH heat and 12-6 curve. The defense is solid, the pitching is great, and for years the "experts" have said that that is what wins championships. So if they want to say that the Chokeland A's are the "scariest" team in MLB if the playoffs started today, whatever. The 2 problems with that are that the playoffs don't start today (and Oakland will cool off LONG before they do), and as has been said on this thread before, scaring your opponent isn't required to get a win.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
i wouldnt consider the white sox to be a scary playoff contender to any circumstance

Any team that makes the playoffs should be considered a scary playoff contender. Any team that makes the playoffs with good pitching and a good bullpen is particularly scary. That doesn't mean they'll win, but that means you shouldn't take them for granted.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 07:01 AM)
These guys have to write something or they won't get paid.  Meaningless drivel.

I think this guy has something genuinely against the Sox, he's written several pieces bad-mouthing the team this year and he seems to truly hate the Cell. I wonder if he's got some Cubs fan or Twins fan or Indians fan in him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
I think this guy has something genuinely against the Sox, he's written several pieces bad-mouthing the team this year and he seems to truly hate the Cell.  I wonder if he's got some Cubs fan or Twins fan or Indians fan in him.

Yes, he ate one for dinner last week.

I think all these - "we're better than you" - posts make no sense.

The Sox haven't won a postseason series since 1917. Saying we're going to win one this year isn't going to make it so.

Actually, I think the Sox will play better in the postseason if they are seen as the underdog in all their matchups. In 2000, our swagger didn't do us any good, did it?

Other teams recognize how good we are, but if they don't, so much the better. And so much the sweeter for us Sox fans when our guys go all the way!

GO WHITE SOX!!