- 08-05-05 - Mariners @ Sox -

redandwhite

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
no he won 15 games in 03.  He has very good stuff.

He's not close to being the same pitcher since he's had a plethora of injury problems. The guy had an ERA over 6 pitching in a terrific park to pitch in! I used to be a fan of Pineiro....but he had nothing tonight. He no longer gets the good quick snap on his curve...and it hangs a lot now. We had plenty of chances to light him up tonight.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another piss-poor game that I made the mistake of attending. God, I'm sick of how bad they are when I'm there (sick of how bad they are at home in general, too). It always feels like they lose because I'm there.

1.) Maybe we should swing for homers more. That seems to work very well.

2.) When's the last time Garcia even had a good game? Even though today wasn't as bad as he has been, it still wasn't good.

3.) Wasn't Joel Pineiro gonna be designated for assignment like 3 days ago? Yet he beats the s*** out of the White Sox. I swear this team isn't the same team from the first half of the year. Man, I hope this is just a slump. JOEL f***ING PINEIRO? That's pathetic.

There was also one good thing about today...Bobby Jenks. I cannot wait until this guy finally comes completely together. He's gonna be one of the best closers baseball has ever seen. I'm talking Eric Gagne-type closer.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
Are you serious?  We played awful in two games against them, and they beat us.  We could have easily swept that series.  The awful defense in the first game, and just terrible hitting early in the Saturday game cost us the chance of a sweep.

But as bad as we played, according to you, we still took 2 out of 4 against the second best team in the AL when we are slumping at home. So why would we have a tougher time going on the road to Boston when we are much better on the road this year, and we have played decent in Boston the last couple of years.

BTW, the next two teams we face are ranked 10th and 13th in the league right around KC and Tampa. So really, we are facing bullpens that are just as bad, but lets just ignore that

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
But as bad as we played, according to you, we still took 2 out of 4 against the second best team in the AL when we are slumping at home. So why would we have a tougher time going on the road to Boston when we are much better on the road this year, and we have played decent in Boston the last couple of years.

BTW, the next two teams we face are ranked 10th and 13th in the league right around KC and Tampa. So really, we are facing bullpens that are just as bad, but lets just ignore that

We won those games against Boston because we played solid fundamental baseball, got a lot of base runners, and were able to avoid the big inning. What's been killing us lately is that exact opposite of that. And when I'm referring to bullpens, I'm talking about being able to come from behind late in the game like we did so often against KC this year. You're right, Gordon/Rivera and Timlin/Schilling are just as bad as Sisco/Macdougal are. If you really think that the bullpens are similar, you're nuts. The Yankees and Red Sox have released a lot of the relievers that were killing their bullpen ERA.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
he also has an ERA of 4.03 for his career.  So he's having a bad year however his career numbers aren't that bad.

He's not fully recovered from his arm injuries. He doesn't have the same stuff that allowed him to put up those numbers. Were people saying the same thing about Koch a few years ago? Career numbers mean nothing in baseball, especially in the age of steroids and injuries.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
We won those games against Boston because we played solid fundamental baseball, got a lot of base runners, and were able to avoid the big inning.  What's been killing us lately is that exact opposite of that.  And when I'm referring to bullpens, I'm talking about being able to come from behind late in the game like we did so often against KC this year.  You're right, Gordon/Rivera and Timlin/Schilling are just as bad as Sisco/Macdougal are.  If you really think that the bullpens are similar, you're nuts.  The Yankees and Red Sox have released a lot of the relievers that were killing their bullpen ERA.

LOL. Nice try. :headshake

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
We won those games against Boston because we played solid fundamental baseball, got a lot of base runners, and were able to avoid the big inning.  What's been killing us lately is that exact opposite of that.  And when I'm referring to bullpens, I'm talking about being able to come from behind late in the game like we did so often against KC this year.  You're right, Gordon/Rivera and Timlin/Schilling are just as bad as Sisco/Macdougal are.  If you really think that the bullpens are similar, you're nuts.  The Yankees and Red Sox have released a lot of the relievers that were killing their bullpen ERA.

yes but with the way their starters have been throwing it's 5 and done for them. Than you can't use Gordon for 3. They have a lot of trouble getting the ball to Gordon.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)
LOL. Nice try.  :headshake

What the hell are you talking about? Seriously, just STFU! When we play bad like we have been lately at home...we're losing. We've been playing better team than we were earlier in the season at home. We're making a lot more mistakes than we were earlier in the season, and it's costing us at home. Bad hitting and bad defense, as well as lack of clutch pitching/hitting....has led to our well below solid record at home lately.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
yes but with the way their starters have been throwing it's 5 and done for them.  Than you can't use Gordon for 3.  They have a lot of trouble getting the ball to Gordon.

You make a good point, but I was talking about coming back late in games, like the 8th inning, like we were doing so often earlier in the year. We were outscoring teams by a ton in the 8th inning this season.

I don't know how anyone is defending the sox right now, they are hitting like s***. Tip your cap to the pitcher when he deserves it but today he deserved to get rocked and that didn't happen because they just can't stop trying for that god damn home run.

I also hope they won't be doing this crap in the post, its gonna be a lot different knowing they can't lose so it will be a lot more intense but doing good going into the post wouldn't hurt.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
That's because I don't spout off garbage.... If I did, I would expect someone to say somthing....I'm just not going to sit here and let you throw out wrong info so you can b**** at the Sox.

You mean like this?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
Listen. We've scored 5 or more runs at home in 10 of our last 15 home games. THAT IS NOT AN OFFENSIVE SLUMP. It's just a little team slump

or this??

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
We haven't had the right combination of offense and pitching at the same time at home over the past couple of weeks.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:22 AM)
Very good pitching matchup tommorow: Buehrle vs. Moyer

Yeah, the same J. Moyer with an ERA on the road of 6.79! I still wonder who's going to be in the DH spot tomorrow. With Everett's injury lingering, maybe we need to send Adkins down again, and call up Anderson.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
I don't know how anyone is defending the sox right now, they are hitting like s***. Tip your cap to the pitcher when he deserves it but today he deserved to get rocked and that didn't happen because they just can't stop trying for that god damn home run.

I also hope they won't be doing this crap in the post, its gonna be a lot different knowing they can't lose so it will be a lot more intense but doing good going into the post wouldn't hurt.

Joel Piniero sucks. He flat out sucks. Anybody who says differently is wrong. He sucks right now, he might've been good at some point in the past, but sucks now.

This offense sucks. I can't even expand on that. It flat out sucks balls.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
You make a good point, but I was talking about coming back late in games, like the 8th inning, like we were doing so often earlier in the year.  We were outscoring teams by a ton in the 8th inning this season.

There is also a big difference here.

The whitesox have a great pitching staff that can barely make mistakes. They have to pitch to perfection or near it to get those great offenses out. They put a lot of pressure on our pitching. Do you think that even the medicore pitching that those teams put out are really worried about pitching to our hitters. Look at our stats, we are near the bottom of the league in BA and OBP. So we dont walk, we dont hit to get on base that much. That doesnt really put pressure on the other team.

Our game is execution. We get a hit, we need to get that runner to 2nd and either move him to third or get a base hit. Lately we have forgone this and have tried to mash our way to wins. This is not the team to do this. We need to go back to what made us winners this year. And mastering the solo dong is not it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
Yeah, the same J. Moyer with an ERA on the road of 6.79!  I still wonder who's going to be in the DH spot tomorrow.  With Everett's injury lingering, maybe we need to send Adkins down again, and call up Anderson.

Great a soft tossing lefty who spots a fastball on the outside corner. Good lord.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)

Well what we are seeing on this homestand is what they did in the 2000 post. They tried to hit homers and all you saw was popups. I think our 3-4-5 hitters had 400 pop ups during that series.

Personally, I'd like to see Uribe up in the order against the lefty. We're going to need his offense if we want to start scoring some runs, and he was very good up in the order last year. It seems to me like he would focus more. I'm all for putting Iguchi in the 3rd hole right now. I know he's great in the 2nd spot, but if Pods isn't getting on base, he does us no good batting there.