Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

So what other #1 centers are out there we can sign if we do miss out on Modano? Forsberg's a fantasy, Pavol Demitra signed with the Kings and Bobby Holik with the Thrashers. I've heard Alexei Zhamnov be rumored, but I can't see Tallon bringing him back. And if we're in need of a good winger, Alexei Kovalev, Andrew Brunette, John LeClair, Paul Kariya, Teemu Selanne are still available.

Also Tony Amonte got a $3.7 million deal for 2 years from the Flames. Not a bad price at all for them.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
So what other #1 centers are out there we can sign if we do miss out on Modano? Forsberg's a fantasy, Pavol Demitra signed with the Kings and Bobby Holik with the Thrashers. I've heard Alexei Zhamnov be rumored, but I can't see Tallon bringing him back. And if we're in need of a good winger, Alexei Kovalev, Andrew Brunette, John LeClair, Paul Kariya, Teemu Selanne are still available.

Also Tony Amonte got a $3.7 million deal for 2 years from the Flames. Not a bad price at all for them.

IMO, Brunette is the only one that I think would fit in with the hawks. The rest are either too old or too big of pussies to play for Yawns.

Also, I dont think you meant to lump Holik in with #1 centerman...

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
IMO, Brunette is the only one that I think would fit in with the hawks.  The rest are either too old or too big of pussies to play for Yawns.

Also, I dont think you meant to lump Holik in with #1 centerman...

I think Holik's gonna suprise a lot of people, especially if he's on a line with Kovalchuk and Heatley. 2 years ago when he was the Devils everyone wanted him, but the Rangers, well they're the Rangers.

Hawks reel in Aucoin, eye bigger prize

Tallon major player in sweepstakes for goalie Khabibulin

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

August 2, 2005, 11:33 PM CDT

After landing one of the most coveted free agents on the market Tuesday, the Blackhawks may be close to bringing another one to Chicago.

Multiple league sources say the Hawks are serious contenders to sign goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin.

Hawks general manager Dale Tallon, who signed defenseman Adrian Aucoin to a four-year, $16 million deal Tuesday, would not say what players he is pursuing but did say he has offers on the table and could know more by Wednesday morning.

Khabibulin's agent, Jay Grossman, declined to comment.

As the lone "elite" goaltender available on the market, it's believed Khabibulin would command close to the maximum $7.8 million contract available and for perhaps as many as five years.

Khabibulin, 32, led the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Stanley Cup in 2004 and is the type of player who can turn around a team's fortunes. If the Hawks were to sign Khabibulin, they likely would have to trade Jocelyn Thibault, whom they tendered a contract offer last weekend.

While Khabibulin is a distinct possibility, Aucoin, also 32, is in the fold and fills the void left when the Hawks decided not to qualify Bryan Berard.

"Adrian was high on our list," Tallon said. "We like the fact he plays offense, defense and can play a lot of minutes. He's also a class act."

Aucoin spent the last three seasons with the New York Islanders. In 2003-04, he had a career-high 44 points with 13 goals. He was also a plus-29 while logging 26 minutes 38 seconds of ice time per game.

Aucoin said his agent, Larry Kelly, talked to nearly three-quarters of the teams in the league and almost half showed interest in signing him. He was impressed with the sales skills of Tallon.

"I really liked what he had to say about where the team is going," Aucoin said. "The city of Chicago always has been one of my favorite cities."

When Aucoin was a rookie and just called up to the Vancouver Canucks, his first games in the NHL were against the Hawks in the 1995 playoffs.

"[Chicago] was a team you always heard good things about," he said. "It was a team you didn't enjoy playing against. There is nothing more gratifying than when other teams come in your building and they are just dreading it."

Along with Jassen Cullimore, whom the Hawks signed last summer, Aucoin figures to log the bulk of the ice time this season, allowing them to possibly bring along prospects Anton Babchuk, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.

The $4 million per season is an increase over the $3.25 million Aucoin made in 2003-04 with the Islanders. It was a figure Aucoin had targeted before the signing period began. Before last season was canceled, he had won a $4.25 million arbitration deal with New York.

"I came into this with an open mind," he said. "No one knew where [salaries] were going to go. This was the number I was aiming for, so I was thrilled."

Signing Aucoin could help the Hawks in their pursuit of Khabibulin. The goaltender has the luxury to look around the league and see how clubs are putting rosters together to determine the best fit for him.

Next to Scott Niedermayer, Aucoin may have been the best offensive defenseman available, and Cullimore was Khabibulin's teammate on the Cup-winning team for Tampa Bay.

Grossman is also very familiar with the Hawks. He represents former captain Alex Zhamnov and current prospects Babchuk, Pavel Vorobiev and defenseman Lasse Kukkoken.

With the signing, the Hawks are now just above $19 million in salaries committed for this season—assuming the qualified restricted free agents accept their offers.

[email protected]

Edited by IlliniKrush

Ah, so maybe Thibault's just insurance.

If this happened, i'd be ecstatic.

We'd finally have an actual Cup-worthy goaltender. This doesn't mean anything as far as winning it. But i've always believed you don't win the cup without a stud goalie, period. I don't care how much talent is in front of you. Thibault's not one. Khabibulin, obviously, is.

Cmon Tallon....

I'm almost at the point where i'm not going to be able to sleep tonight just thinking about this happening. I don't think i've ever been so excited about a FA or rumor or what not in many years. We've got the cap room to give him 7.8 mil if that's what he really wants. IMO, if anyone is worth that, a goaltender is.

I wonder what we'll get back for T-Bo if we do trade him, maybe a 2nd rounder?

That said, if the Hawks can get The Bulin Wall they gotta do it. They do need to sign some top 6 forwards still though.

"We made some offers today," said general manager Dale Tallon. "I've got a feeling we're pretty close. I think tomorrow morning there will be some action."

Stars captain Mike Modano is rumored to be heading back to Dallas, but unrestricted free agents Peter Forsberg, Markus Naslund, Paul Kariya and Ziggy Palffy are still on the market, as are next-tier forwards such as Buffalo center Miroslav Satan, a three-time 30-goal scorer, and Wild left wing Andrew Brunette.

"We've talked to everyone," Tallon said, "upper-level, mid-level and lower-level. We're trying to find the best fit for our team."

While acquiring a top forward is Tallon's next priority, adding another free agent defenseman to complement the acquisition of Aucoin is also in the plans.

Keith - told you another defenseman might be in the works. I guess a hot name is Roman Hamrlik right now. Which is interesting, because he played on the same team as Aucoin.

I'd love Palffy, but we probly have a better chance at Satan.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:07 AM)
We need a RW more than a LW don't we? Selanne or Kovalev would be good fits.

God I love Kovalev. That rumor you posted Krush get's me really excited. But, if we were somehow able to sign Markus Naslund, I think I would have a heart attack. That guy is so f***ing awesome it isn't even funny. I'd definitely "settle" for Kovalev, Forsberg, Satan, Palffy, or one of those top tier guys but signing Naslund put this team in great position and for the true hockey fans, puts asses in the seats. Naslund/Khabibulin....would we be able to sign both???

Ok I'm expecting news soon, the Aucoin signing went down about a hour from now, yesterday. Looks like the Bulin Wall is staying with the Lightning or headed our way;

The Blackhawks and the Lightning seem to be the front runners in the Nikolai Khabibulin sweepstakes.

It seems that both Detroit and Phoenix have decided to look elsewhere for their respective goaltending needs. Khabibulin has said he wants to return to Tampa, but Chicago is certainly offering a competitve compensation package that may be making Khabibulin's decision a little more difficult. Aug. 3 - 7:36 am

Word has circulated that Phoenix, Detroit and Chicago are the main suitors for the unrestricted free-agent goaltender, while Tampa Bay remains firmly in the mix. Detroit may be out of the market because of salary cap constraints and Phoenix may be priced out of the market if the price gets too high, as a report in the East Valley Tribune mentioned Tuesday. The Coyotes have re-signed goalie Brian Boucher for one year, $900,000.

A popular Internet rumor Tuesday stated that the Blackhawks, who signed former Lightning defenseman Adrian Aucoin to a four-year, $16 million deal, are the front-runners to land Khabibulin. But sources close to Khabibulin say there is a side of the Russian goaltender that wants another opportunity to win a Stanley Cup, a chance he may not realistically get playing in Chicago

Jason Allison another #1 center is expected to sign with the Maple Leafs today.

Chris Pronger got traded to Edmonton for Eric Brewer and 2 good prospects, very good deal for the Blues. Pronger then got re-signed to a 5 year $30M deal.

Looks like Modano to re-sign with the Stars later today;

Mike Modano still hasn't officially signed with Dallas.

Owner Tom Hicks thought they had a 5-year/$17.25 million dollar deal in place. Modano apparently originally agreed to the deal, but later wanted to 'sleep on it'. Something should be announced later today. Aug. 3 - 8:14 am et

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
Ok I'm expecting news soon, the Aucoin signing went down about a hour from now, yesterday. Looks like the Bulin Wall is staying with the Lightning or headed our way;

Jason Allison another #1 center is expected to sign with the Maple Leafs today.

Chris Pronger got traded to Edmonton for Eric Brewer and 2 good prospects, very good deal for the Blues. Pronger then got re-signed to a 5 year $30M deal.

Looks like Modano to re-sign with the Stars later today;

I love how we're spending money now. and we're only 23 mil under the cap :lolhitting

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 06:44 AM)
God I love Kovalev. That rumor you posted Krush get's me really excited. But, if we were somehow able to sign Markus Naslund, I think I would have a heart attack. That guy is so f***ing awesome it isn't even funny. I'd definitely "settle" for Kovalev, Forsberg, Satan, Palffy, or one of those top tier guys but signing Naslund put this team in great position and for the true hockey fans, puts asses in the seats. Naslund/Khabibulin....would we be able to sign both???

Naslund got scooped up. By Vancouver I think.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Kovalev could be the best hockey player on the planet if he would try hard night in and night out. The guy has awesome skills and ability but just seems to be the typical Russian with being lazy more so than not....

OH man, I get goosebumps at the thought. I don't know whats happening to me, but I'm following this thread religiously and I've never been into hockey (until just before the strike).

I got to say, I'm getting pumped about the Hawks...you all have done it. :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
OH man, I get goosebumps at the thought.  I don't know whats happening to me, but I'm following this thread religiously and I've never been into hockey (until just before the strike). 

I got to say, I'm getting pumped about the Hawks...you all have done it. :cheers

Good. :cheers We didn't want you to root for the NY YAnkees of the NHL anyway.