Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Well, compare him to Carlos Lee. Lee made a BS play in shich he didn;t hustle and cost the team. Some speculate that was the main reason he was traded. Look how he turned out? I like the guy and I respect yours and Keiths opinions. If you read the rest of my post, I clearly state that I would want Naslund way more thank Kovalev... :)

Um, costing your team in the playoffs faking an injury is a little different than not sliding hard into second. Kovalev let his whole team down in the playoffs. There is no comparison. In this sport, you're supposed to be tough and play through pain, no offense to the baseball players and what not, but this isnt a sport where a contusion sits you for a month. Kovalev actually made me feel embarassed.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
They would need one more standup defenseman, IMO.

I'd agree with that. I think the big problem with the Hawks for a long while was they didn't have the good defenseman. At least when I would watch (and I'm not expert), but you'd see them get killed in TOP which isn't necessarily all defense, but it starts with the defense and than you need players who are can control the puck and pass.

Still, I think the Hawks have like 19 mill in cap. Now they obviously won't cap themselves out, but they could realistically spend like 12-14 mill more, putting them in the 33-35 mill range.

So if they go max with Habi and it seems thats the case...7.8 mill and than 5 mill for Modano, they definately have enough to grab one or two guys, but obviously not big name players (who, don't ask me, I'm not good enough to know that sort of stuff).

They'd definately be pushing it though, especially since I think I read a few of you say the Hawks could use a couple more forward/wing players.

Jesus, Oilers just got Peca from the Islanders.

The Edmonton Oilers have strick again, making their third trade in as many days, this time acquiring forward Michael Peca from the New York Islanders in exchange for forward Mike York and a conditional draft choice.

Peca is scheduled to make $3.99 million this season, while York is an restricted free agent. The Islanders made the move to clear some cap space, as Alexei Yashin's $7.6 million contract has them in a tough spot.

Earlier this week, the Oilers sent Brad Isbister to the Boston Bruins for a draft pick, and then completed a blockbuster by getting Chris Pronger from the St. Louis Blues for Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
They would need one more standup defenseman, IMO.

If they do get that defenseman, I'm 90% sure that they'd be done with defense. They'd then have Aucoin/Vandy/Cully/Mac-cy ( :banghead )/FA, and then let the last spot be fought for between the guys I've mentioned about 1000 times in this thread -- Duncan Keith, Anton Babchuk, and Brent Seabrook.

BTW, I'm almost positive that Naslund re-upped with Vancouver, so I don't know why you keep talking about him...

One more thing... The Hawks resigned Shawn Thorton. I've always liked him, he's actually decent with the puck (for a fourth liner), and he can fight well. He's a helluva lot better than Travis Moen, too (and I realize he got traded). And, while he's not in that top tier of heavyweights, he can hold his own against just about anyone, and, while we don't have one real good fighter, we have a lot of 'tough' guys -- Ruutu, Bell, Vandermeer, Thorton, and even smaller guys like Nichol and Barnaby have been known to drop 'em.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Um, costing your team in the playoffs faking an injury is a little different than not sliding hard into second.  Kovalev let his whole team down in the playoffs.  There is no comparison.  In this sport, you're supposed to be tough and play through pain, no offense to the baseball players and what not, but this isnt a sport where a contusion sits you for a month.  Kovalev actually made me feel embarassed.

I've HATED Kovalev ever since he pussied out last year in the playoffs by faking the 'slash' on the wrist, and basically screwed his team over there.

Like I said, just the mentor we need for Ruutu and Bell and Bolland, huh?

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Kap, TSN in Canada is the one reporting that the Hawks are in the derby for Modano,  have you heard anything with that?

If they can land both him and the Wall, I'm not sure how much more of a "splash" money wise they'd be able to make.

Modano is considering Boston more then Chicago, but I can also tell you that Modano prefers the Western Conference.

It's hard to say for sure, but I know Chicago is in the mix, and Boston are the leaders.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Think this is strictly a depth/cheap move?

I think he'll be a mainstay in the Top 6 for the 'Hawks. Personally, I think it was a value move -- Tallon probably doesn't think the other defensemen are worth what they're going to get, so he made a safe move and got a guy who's not the best of the crop, but who'll do a good job at what he's getting paid.

I also think they're trying to put their eggs in the Khabibulin (sp?) basket...

And, I'll defer any questions about Spacek to Tom. Uh, Tom? (nudge nudge :D )

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Not Hawk related, but Forsberg signs with Philly, 2 years $10.7m.

The free agent forward pool is getting shallower..

Damn. I would have liked him or Naslund but it looks like both are gone.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
And, I'll defer any questions about Spacek to Tom.  Uh, Tom? (nudge nudge  :D )

Well Keith, Spacek is a good skater, decent sized, can shoot well. AND positions himself extremely well in his own end. I think he plays a little bigger than he is and he's a steady #3 or 4.

Good sign, not a great one.

We need a goal scorer, Khabibulin is not the answer (it would be nice, but he isnt the answer).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Wow.  Philly's loaded.  LOADED.  Barring injury, they're my pick right now to win it all.

Kap, you hearing anything on 'bulin?

A Canadian radio station had Pang on, and he said that Tallon told him Khabi to the 'Hawks was 90%. Apparantly, he wants to play for an O-6 team.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Kap, you hearing anything on 'bulin?

A Canadian radio station had Pang on, and he said that Tallon told him Khabi to the 'Hawks was 90%.  Apparantly, he wants to play for an O-6 team.

I'd be thrilled with this pickup. Still, they need to pick up a good forward/center. Modano would be nice, only thing I wonder is how much it will hurt them to go 4 yrs. Plus from the sounds of his agent, it appears some team offered a 5 yr 5 mill deal.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Damn. I would have liked him or Naslund but it looks like both are gone.

can i just ask an honest question.... do you know anything about hockey? i know im an admin and supposed to be a pillar of respect (ok with me thats a stretch)... but i just think your posting without an ounce of knowledge here... its one thing to read a couple things on the net... and its another to actually know what your talking about.

Why in gods name would you want Alexi Kovalev? The guy is an absolute tamata can.