Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)
I wouldn't. No offense to the guy, but he's nothing more than a 3rd liner to me. He's got 43 points over the past 2 seasons with Boston. He needs to score at least 35 to 40 points a season for it to be a good signing.

He is only going to be a character type player.. he isn't going to be a #1 liner...he will be on the 3rd line more than anything. Also I am hoping Tallon will be doing better than this though.

Edited by EvilJester99

Confirmed....Lapointe is a Hawk

Blackhawks sign Lapointe

TSN.ca Staff

8/4/2005 10:17:38 AM

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed unrestricted free agent winger Martin Lapointe.

Lapointe, 31, agreed to a 3-year deal worth $7.2 million.

Lapointe signed a montster deal with the Boston Bruins in 2001, but never lived up to lofty expectations, scoring 40 goals and 43 assists in 205 games.

In his career, Lapointe has 148 goals, 165 assists and 313 points in 757 games.

He played his first seven NHL seasons in Detroit, winning two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
He is only going to be a character type player.. he isn't going to be a #1 liner...he will be on the 3rd line more than anything. Also I am hoping Tallon will be doing better than this though.

I don't see how with a $39M max payroll, you can contribute $2.4M over 3 years to a guy who's iffy to put up 40 points a season for you.

Mike Modano's getting what on average (even though it's frontloaded) just under $1M more than LaPointe.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
I don't see how with a $39M max payroll, you can contribute $2.4M over 3 years to a guy who's iffy to put up 40 points a season for you.

Mike Modano's getting what on average (even though it's frontloaded) just under $1M more than LaPointe.

Its kind of unfortunate that it seems the Hawks will have to overpay to draw any players to town... mostly due to Wirtz. I would rather have Selanne or Kariya or Palffy and hopefully the Hawks will land one of them but it will probably be for a lot more than Lapointe just got to even get them to consider it...IMO

QUOTE(Spiff @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
LaPointe is terrible, good riddance.

Not suprised you'd say that at all Spiff, not suprised at all. :lol:

I guess LaPointe probably appealed to the Hawks cause he's a good character guy, and a grinder. Can he be relied on to post more than 40 points a season though? No.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Not suprised you'd say that at all Spiff, not suprised at all.  :lol:

I guess LaPointe probably appealed to the Hawks cause he's a good character guy, and a grinder. Can he be relied on to post more than 40 points a season though? No.

Think this could be to create depth to make a bigger trade since we can't land any FA's?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Not suprised you'd say that at all Spiff, not suprised at all.  :lol:

2nd worst +/- on the team means he's just bad at everything. He was a -5; even Doug Doull, who does nothing but get in fights, was a +2.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Think this could be to create depth to make a bigger trade since we can't land any FA's?

Exactly my line of thinking, this is gotta be setting up of something bigger. A guy like Kyle Calder could be included in a big deal for a #1 center for example. Just trying to think of who that guy would be (Thornton's probably not going to happen, considering I doubt he'll re-sign long term with us).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
And look what Bobby Clarke wanted from JR for LA, Taylor, Frolov and Brown. That's the equivalent of Ruutu and Bell for Hawks players supossedly. Good luck trading him now with those demands.

Yeah, I just heard about that too DB. Think there is any chance the Hawks will swoop in and take JR?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
I hope not. JR is passed his prime, and while it would be a big name and make casual fans happy, just not the right move for this team. If Dale can pull off getting the Bulin Wall and Palffy to Chicago, he should pack up shop, and be done with it. I would be very, very happy.

Palffy would certainly be nice but wasn't he rumored to be heading to Toronto or somewhere else a day or 2 ago? A guy like Peter Bondra has had his name thrown about a little, although he's not an ideal solution.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
Ruutu-Arnason-Pallfy

Bell-Brown-Daze

Calder-Nichol?-Barnaby

Bourque-Holmqvist-Voribev?

Aucoin-Cullimore

McCarthy-Vandamer

Spachek-Babbs/Keith/Barinka?

Isn't Bell a RW and Daze a LW?

We need a #1 center, to bump Arny down to 2, and Brown to 3. LaPointe-Brown-Barnaby would then be one of the better #3 lines in the league. Can't see Calder playing below the 2nd line either.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
That would be a very, very tough line, which would be nice to have.

I also agree about the Center issue, it needs to be adressed. However, Bell can play center if needed.

I think best case, Bell needs to stay as a winger to really grow into that power forward, which he's shown some real good signs of the past few seasons. Hence why acquiring a #1 center is the most important issue for this team right now.

Hmm...

A trade in the works, maybe? They're bringing in an awful lot of third line/fourth line types... I agree with SFF and whoever else brought up his name, Zig Palffy would be a nice pickup.

I think our defense is set. I can live if we land 'Bulin along with a top-line player. I can even live if we just get one or the other. But we need to land one of the two.

If they don't make a trade, most likely the Hawks are going to have to sign one of these 6 guys;

Eric Lindros

Jason Allison

Ziggy Palffy

Teemu Selanne

Paul Kariya (rumored to sign with Montreal IIRC this morning though)

Peter Bondra

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
If they don't make a trade, most likely the Hawks are going to have to sign one of these 6 guys;

Eric Lindros

Jason Allison

Ziggy Palffy

Teemu Selanne

Paul Kariya (rumored to sign with Montreal IIRC this morning though)

Peter Bondra

I'd love either of the top two.

I'd like Kariya.

Selanne -- eh, he's getting up there in age. But, he's not the worst option.

Don't know enough about Bondra to comment on him...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
I'd love either of the top two. 

I'd like Kariya.

Selanne -- eh, he's getting up there in age.  But, he's not the worst option.

Don't know enough about Bondra to comment on him...

Bondra's 37, so it's have to be a 2 year deal at the most. Only had 49 points for the Senators in 03 (his worst since 99), but he was prob playing on the 2nd or 3rd line for them. I think he's a pretty soft player in the mold of Kovalev though off the top of my head, so that's prob not going to appeal him much to a lot of people.