Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Bondra's 37, so it's have to be a 2 year deal at the most. Only had 49 points for the Senators in 03 (his worst since 99), but he was prob playing on the 2nd or 3rd line for them. I think he's a pretty soft player in the mold of Kovalev though off the top of my head, so that's prob not going to appeal him much to a lot of people.

bondra is finished

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 06:30 AM)
Its kind of unfortunate that it seems the Hawks will have to overpay to draw any players to town... mostly due to Wirtz. I would rather have Selanne or Kariya or Palffy and hopefully the Hawks will land one of them but it will probably be for a lot more than Lapointe just got to even get them to consider it...IMO

If they could of tried for Kariya and Teamu they may of just landed them. They have been good friends and always like playing for each other.

Still I'd love to see a guy like Kariya here. I've long thought he was a little over-rated, but like Murcie said, the rule changes should really help him out and if there is one player I'm at least pretty familiar with it would be Paul (from his days with the Ducks).

Very very talented player whose a great scorer. Would be a nice addition, I'd just really like to see the Hawks find a good center for the 1st line.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
Exactly my line of thinking, this is gotta be setting up of something bigger. A guy like Kyle Calder could be included in a big deal for a #1 center for example. Just trying to think of who that guy would be (Thornton's probably not going to happen, considering I doubt he'll re-sign long term with us).

I'd go crazy if they landed Thorton.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 07:00 AM)
I hope not. JR is passed his prime, and while it would be a big name and make casual fans happy, just not the right move for this team. If Dale can pull off getting the Bulin Wall and Palffy to Chicago, he should pack up shop, and be done with it. I would be very, very happy.

I'd be happy with that. I want Bulin bad...a great goalie can change the landscape, imo.

Well there's the other acquisition i wanted on the blue line. I wanted another veteran presence, and we got Spacek back. He's a pretty good puck handler, and he's decent in both zones. The defense is done now.

The offense, however, isn't. LaPointe makes me go "meh". He was real nasty with Detroit a few years ago, bolted to Boston for a s***load of cash, then proceeded to absolutely suck. He's a "grinder", so he'll be playing on the third line with brown and barnaby i would think. Bell should play on the second line over brown, i think.

We still need a top forward though, and i'd love palffy or kariya. I'm not a huge selanne fan because he's so damn soft, but he'd at least put the puck in the net on the top lines. Still need something up there badly. Can't really fault Tallon though, he's thrown the money out there. But the hawks have screwed themselves a little bit as an organization, obviously.

I also don't like how long this Khabibulin decision is taking.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Well there's the other acquisition i wanted on the blue line. I wanted another veteran presence, and we got Spacek back. He's a pretty good puck handler, and he's decent in both zones. The defense is done now.

The offense, however, isn't. LaPointe makes me go "meh". He was real nasty with Detroit a few years ago, bolted to Boston for a s***load of cash, then proceeded to absolutely suck. He's a "grinder", so he'll be playing on the third line with brown and barnaby i would think. Bell should play on the second line over brown, i think.

We still need a top forward though, and i'd love palffy or kariya. I'm not a huge selanne fan because he's so damn soft, but he'd at least put the puck in the net on the top lines. Still need something up there badly. Can't really fault Tallon though, he's thrown the money out there. But the hawks have screwed themselves a little bit as an organization, obviously.

Theoretically we could land both Palffy and Kariya which would be great, however it is doubtful.

I agree with you on Bulin. Seems like he is using the Hawks to try and get the Lightning to boost their offer to him. However, most reports I have seen is that they haven't budged from their original offer. Supposedly their GM was on the radio recently and didn't even refer to him by name. Hopefully TB falls out of the running and we can land him. It would be nice to know what his decision is so Tallon can make/attempt other personnel decisions.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)

I'm thinking Khabi is going to make sure the Hawks get another player or two before making his decision. Could be wrong though.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
Hmm...

A trade in the works, maybe?  They're bringing in an awful lot of third line/fourth line types...  I agree with SFF and whoever else brought up his name, Zig Palffy would be a nice pickup.

I wish that this was the case... however, this is usually the way we assemble our team with a bunch of grinders and not a whole lotta talent.

we shall see but i dunno.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
I'm thinking Khabi is going to make sure the Hawks get another player or two before making his decision.  Could be wrong though.

maybe.... i think khabi is just looking to get paid, and maybe just trying to syphen the last dollar out of the hawks or whatever team he can.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I think our defense is set.  I can live if we land 'Bulin along with a top-line player.  I can even live if we just get one or the other.  But we need to land one of the two.

I disagree here. You guys love Khabibulin too much. Is he good? Yes. Is he an upgrade over Thibault? Yes. But, goaltending isnt our problem.

Keith, we need the top line player more than we need Khabibulin. Period.

Khabibulin won a stanley cup last year and is one of the best goaltenders in the game. And right now, yes, goaltending is a problem. Thibault is an average goalie, and leighton, andersson, and crawford aren't ready to start at the NHL level. Also, who knows if Thibault will even stay healthy again this year. Locking up a top-tier goaltender for the next few years would be huge. Also, the impact of a goaltender is much bigger than the impact of one forward. I realize we need both though.

I know, above all else, a hot goaltender can take you a long way in the playoffs.

Khabby will address that, if his big-ass ego doesn't get in the way. However, the 'Hawks still need a guy that's going to put the puck in the net on a consistant basis.

I think they can get by *IF* they get a premeire scorer without Khabby. Of course, it doesn't hurt them any if they get him, either.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 08:14 AM)
While it's a small factor IMO, I think having a rookie coach and GM plays into their decisions too.

I think older players want a chance to win right now, and maybe they don't see that in Chicago with inexperienced management. Sucks for the Hawks, though.

I think this is going to be one crazy ass NHL season. I think this season at least is gonna be like the NFL, where due to the season off, you have no clue who is going to be good.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
The latest rumor mill I have heard is that the Hawks are going after Eric Lindros.  Hard.

UGH.

GLASSBOY... ohhhh GLASSBOY...

/hopefully some of you will get that.

Oh my.

That's a Wirtz signing right there. Sign a guy to sell seats.

Not really a fan of a Lindros signing, but if it's say a 2 year deal at $2.5M a season, I can live with it, the Sox just need to get somebody to fill that void as the 1st line center. I'd prefer Allison though, and that's saying something with all of the concussion problems he's had as well.