Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Tampa is happy with Grahme, who actually had better regular season stats then did Kahbibulin.

Detroit has no room

Atlanta - are you kidding me?  Keri Lehtonin is the next Patrick Roy.  Maybe not this year, but this kid is the real deal, mark my words

Edmonton just signed their #1 from last year today

Washington, maybe, but who do they have to offer in a trade?  No one.

Colorado still believes in Aubisheur (sp)... don't ask me why

Pittsburgh - can't make it work... and besides they have Marc Andre Fleury - remember him?

Thibault will get moved, IMO, but it will be interesting as to where.

Good points there Kap. On Atlanta, yeah Lehtonin is going to be a stud, I was just thinking it may take him a year or 2 to get settled into the NHL, and if they want to win now trade for a Thibault and let Lehtonin settle in.

Looking at it now, Vancouver seems like an ideal trading partner. Dan Cloutier has been under a lot of pressure there, and Thibault would be an upgrade.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
I really don't think the Hawks need to try to find a true center on the FA market. Roots and Bell can both play center, obviously not like an elite center, but capible none the less. Dump T-bo and Daze and sign Ziggy!!!

It depends if they want Ruutu or Bell to play as a center though. I'd actually have Ruutu as a 1st line center, with Arny on the 2nd line. Then you can have Daze and Calder as the LW's, with Bell and a FA like Ziggy on the RW's for the 1st 2 lines. Depends what they want to do though, but they have options nonetheless.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
vs Dallas: 4-1-0  2.00 GAA

vs San Jose: 2-4-0 2.33 GAA

2.08 GAA for the playoffs with a .922 SV%

They're not bad numbers, but it was always going to be a challenge to fit into Patrick Roy's shoes. Either way, Thibault when healthy and at his best is an upgrade over Aebischer. Colorado just have to decide whether they're in such a win now mentality, whether or not they'd want to trade for him. My guess would be no.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
How high is Pitt on Marc-Andre?  Didn't he have a pretty poor year at wherever he was playing...?

He came right in after the last draft and started. They are very, very high on him. Big time butterfly goalie who moves extremely well. AWESOME positioning and will rarely get beat short side. He is really aggressive in the net too, likes to play way out on the top of his crease.

That said, he's gonna be 20, so in about 4-5 years we'll really see what he can do. Remember goalies take longer to develop. I think he's gonna be a superstar but he needs more seasoning, much like Lehtonen has gotten in the A.

Besides, what's not to love about his piss yellow pads?

Edited by Pauly8509CWS

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
Tampa is happy with Grahme, who actually had better regular season stats then did Kahbibulin.

Detroit has no room

Atlanta - are you kidding me?  Keri Lehtonin is the next Patrick Roy.  Maybe not this year, but this kid is the real deal, mark my words

Edmonton just signed their #1 from last year today

Washington, maybe, but who do they have to offer in a trade?  No one.

Colorado still believes in Aubisheur (sp)... don't ask me why

Pittsburgh - can't make it work... and besides they have Marc Andre Fleury - remember him?

Thibault will get moved, IMO, but it will be interesting as to where.

I think an interesting team they could move TBo to is Vancouver....I don't think they have much faith in Cloutier....

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
He came right in after the last draft and started.  They are very, very high on him.  Big time butterfly goalie who moves extremely well.  AWESOME positioning and will rarely get beat short side.  He is really aggressive in the net too, likes to play way out on the top of his crease. 

That said, he's gonna be 20, so in about 4-5 years we'll really see what he can do.  Remember goalies take longer to develop. I think he's gonna be a superstar but he needs more seasoning, much like Lehtonen has gotten in the A. 

Besides, what's not to love about his piss yellow pads?

Will the piss-yellow pads look as impressive when they're no longer the size of twin mattresses?

:D

And if Atlanta does trade for T-Blow, they'll REALLY appreciate Lehtonen when he comes up for good!!

Atlanta doesn't want him.

Out of all the trading partners, I would agree with most's assessment on Vancouver.

Maybe even LA. Everyone else seems to be pretty much set on what they have.

Interesting thing is actually, I think Thibault goes somewhere that we would totally not expect, but with some cap room.

Another one that comes to mind is Carolina, although they thing Gerber is the next big thing. :rolly

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
Atlanta doesn't want him.

Out of all the trading partners, I would agree with most's assessment on Vancouver.

Maybe even LA.  Everyone else seems to be pretty much set on what they have.

Interesting thing is actually, I think Thibault goes somewhere that we would totally not expect, but with some cap room.

Another one that comes to mind is Carolina, although they thing Gerber is the next big thing.  :rolly

The only 2 other teams that still have cap room that come to mind;

Columbus - Doubtful since they wouldn't want to trade T-Bo within the division if possible.

Buffalo - They probably want to give Miller and Noronen a shot.

Vancouver's only got $22 mill locked up at the moment. Seems perfect for Thibault to make his way there for some picks.

Ok news from the Southtown and Rotoworld;

Daily Southtown -

It's now up to Yawney to match players together at forward and on defense. He could spend the rest of the summer playing with line combinations in his head, but there's one he likes now: Tuomo Ruutu, Tyler Arnason and Eric Daze.

"Tuomo, Arne and Daze played together pretty well in a trying time," Yawney noted. "Anything can happen, but I'd definitely like to keep those guys together."

Lapointe figures to be the second-line right wing, skating with Kyle Calder and Mark Bell, unless Matthew Barnaby, one of three free agents signed last summer, grabs the position. Lapointe could also see plenty of power-play time.

On defense, Yawney has four solid defensemen in Aucoin, Spacek, Steve McCarthy and Jassen Cullimore, with Jim Vandermeer the fifth blueliner. Cam Barker, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2004, is also expected to contend for the sixth spot.

Aucoin and Spacek, either separately or together, will be stationed at the point on the power play. And the arrival of Khabibulin just improved the power play.

Rotoworld -

The Kings, Hurricanes and Red Wings may be interested in acquiring Jocelyn Thibault from the Blackhawks.

With the signing of Nikolai Khabibulin yesterday, Chicago will clear $2.3 million off its payroll by moving the 30-year-old Thibault. Stay tuned.

So it looks like Bell will be a center, and LaPointe on the 2nd wing. I can live with the former, but I don't like the latter.

And I figure Los Angeles or Carolina will probably get Thibault, for about a 2nd or a 3rd and a 4th. Once again, there's no need to trade him within the division, unless that's a much better offer.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 07:01 AM)
Will the piss-yellow pads look as impressive when they're no longer the size of twin mattresses?

:D

Yes, you'll start to see goalies be more aggressive and stand up more. Kind of like the early nineties.

Fleury is already as aggressive as can be and will be able to cover angles and shots in tight without problem.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
Yes, you'll start to see goalies be more aggressive and stand up more.  Kind of like the early nineties.

Fleury is already as aggressive as can be and will be able to cover angles and shots in tight without problem.

I'm VERY glad they're mandating the smaller equipment. It was getting out of control. The goalies should be making the saves, not BEING saved by their titanic equipment.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 04:07 AM)
How high is Pitt on Marc-Andre?  Didn't he have a pretty poor year at wherever he was playing...?

Yeah, from what I have read Fleury has regressed more than progressed the past year. Also, I think Toronto could be a team interested in TBo. They have Belfour and who else right now? I know they are trying to dump him and go for CuJo.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
Yeah, from what I have read Fleury has regressed more than progressed the past year.  Also, I think Toronto could be a team interested in TBo.  They have Belfour and who else right now?  I know they are trying to dump him and go for CuJo.

Again though, goalies get better with age. In 99 the Bulin Wall was in the minors. So I don't think regression is happening to Fleury, just inexperience.

I've been reading any hockey-related news that I can 'get my hands of' lately, and a suitor for Thibault that has come up are the 'Yotes. Two interesting names from that team are Mike Comrie and Krys Kolanos. Both are centers, pretty young, and neither has really played to their 'potential' quite yet.

I'd do a Thibault + Yakubov swap for either of the two.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
I've been reading any hockey-related news that I can 'get my hands of' lately, and a suitor for Thibault that has come up are the 'Yotes.  Two interesting names from that team are Mike Comrie and Krys Kolanos.  Both are centers, pretty young, and neither has really played to their 'potential' quite yet.

I'd do a Thibault + Yakubov swap for either of the two.

Rather Comrie, face off winner and a spectacular playmaker. That would be an amazing trade by Tallon but I think they just re-upped with a goalie, Boucher maybe?

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
Rather Comrie, face off winner and a spectacular playmaker.  That would be an amazing trade by Tallon but I think they just re-upped with a goalie, Boucher maybe?

Yeah they re-signed Boucher to a 1 year deal. I don't think they'd trade Comrie for Thinabult. Isn't he not the best clubhouse guy, and didn't he have the real big holdout in Edmonton or am I thinking of someone else?

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Again though, goalies get better with age.  In 99 the Bulin Wall was in the minors.  So I don't think regression is happening to Fleury, just inexperience.

Nikolai was in the minors because he was holding out for more money, so he signed a deal in the IHL. As for Fleury, he's definately not regressing. He's still a kid, he's growing into his body, and he's adjusting to the speed of the game. Jumping from juniors to the NHL or even AHL is a lot easier for a skater than a goalie, and it will take time for him to realize his potential. By the time he is 26, people will be talking about him as the arguably the best goaltender of all time. I could see the Penguins as major suitors for Thibault, as they need a veteran goaltender that would start, however be willing to give up 30 games or so to a backup. I doubt Cujo would be willing to play 50 games or less, however I could see Thibault, especially with his injury history, willing to settle for less playing time. The Blackhawks have a good core of young defenseman, so in a deal for Thibault, they'll be looking for scoring power. The Pens have Kris Beech, a kid who was a number 7 draft pick by the Capitals, and touted as a Jeremy Roenick type power forward. He hasn't lived up to the hype in the NHL, but Pittsburgh hasn't seemed to want to give him an extended stay. He's been ridiculous in the minors, and he really deserves to play in the NHL. He would be a solid 3rd line center for the Hawks. The Pens also have Rico Fata, another centerman, who has game breaking speed, but his hands haven't quite caught up to his legs. He goes hard to the net and can score a few goals, he's also feisty and plays with a lot of heart. Colby Armstrong, 01 1st round choice, and Shane Endicott 00 2nd round choice, both seem like likely candidates for a trade as well. Armstrong is an agitator with goal scoring ability, and Endicott is an excellent two way center. All of these guys have a future in the NHL however there doesn't seem to be a place for them in the near future with the penguins. I think any of these guys would be a good fit in Chicago, and I think Tallon would pull the trigger on a deal with the Pens. I hope he does, because I'd love to see Thibault in a Pens sweater.

Edited by WSFAN35

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)
Nikolai was in the minors because he was holding out for more money, so he signed a deal in the IHL.  As for Fleury, he's definately not regressing.  He's still a kid, he's growing into his body, and he's adjusting to the speed of the game.  Jumping from juniors to the NHL or even AHL is a lot easier for a skater than a goalie, and it will take time for him to realize his potential.  By the time he is 26, people will be talking about him as the arguably the best goaltender of all time.  I could see the Penguins as major suitors for Thibault, as they need a veteran goaltender that would start, however be willing to give up 30 games or so to a backup.  I doubt Cujo would be willing to play 50 games or less, however I could see Thibault, especially with his injury history, willing to settle for less playing time.  The Blackhawks have a good core of young defenseman, so in a deal for Thibault, they'll be looking for scoring power.  The Pens have Kris Beech, a kid who was a number 7 draft pick by the Capitals, and touted as a Jeremy Roenick type power forward.  He hasn't lived up to the hype in the NHL, but Pittsburgh hasn't seemed to want to give him an extended stay.  He's been ridiculous in the minors, and he really deserves to play in the NHL.  He would be a solid 3rd line center for the Hawks.  The Pens also have Rico Fata, another centerman, who has game breaking speed, but his hands haven't quite caught up to his legs.  He goes hard to the net and can score a few goals, he's also feisty and plays with a lot of heart.  Colby Armstrong, 01 1st round choice, and Shane Endicott 00 2nd round choice, both seem like likely candidates for a trade as well.  Armstrong is an agitator with goal scoring ability, and Endicott is an excellent two way center.  All of these guys have a future in the NHL however there doesn't seem to be a place for them in the near future with the penguins.  I think any of these guys would be a good fit in Chicago, and I think Tallon would pull the trigger on a deal with the Pens.  I hope he does, because I'd love to see Thibault in a Pens sweater.

I' not sure that Pittsburgh has a lot of room left.

But how about that line of Crosby, Mario, and Ziggy on a power play with Gonchar on the point? Holy s***! :o

And don't forget that they got Mark Recchi from Philly before the lockout. They are becoming studs, FAST. They will be a top 5 team in the east if they stay away from the injuries as it stands eight now.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
I' not sure that Pittsburgh has a lot of room left.

But how about that line of Crosby, Mario, and Ziggy on a power play with Gonchar on the point?  Holy s***!  :o

And don't forget that they got Mark Recchi from Philly before the lockout.  They are becoming studs, FAST.  They will be a top 5 team in the east if they stay away from the injuries as it stands eight now.

You just hope for the team's sake the people in Pittsburgh show up to games, and they get that arena situation sorted out sooner rather than later.

And I would like Kris Beech on this team no doubt about it. But with the likes of Colin Fraser etc. already scrapping it out for a 3rd/4th line place, I doubt that will happen. He does deserve an oppurtunity though.