Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
Weren't the Hawks up against some sort of arbitration offer type deadline where they could have lost TBo and got nothing in return?  It seems to me I've read that somewhere.

i believe they offered him one either way, imho, we didn't get enuf for him. \

but we are in a different era with hockey now

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LDF @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
i believe they offered him one either way, imho, we didn't get enuf for him. \

but we are in a different era with hockey now

We didn't get enuf for him, but Tallon is trying to be the good guy and move Thibault BUT ALSO get SOMETHING for him. I'm glad Thibault is happy...he busted his ass for us.

4th round pick isn't bad, though...since Tallon had no leverage at all.

I know i'm late to the party with these comments, but I really am happy to see the Hawks looking like they are improving, and I really think Chicago is full of people like me who are waiting for a good Hawks team that they can embrace, and the cities pretty large hockey fan base will deliver if the Hawks do.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
Well, seeing as how I work for Comcast, it's sort of interesting that they decided to do this.

Comcast is not one to waste money on things like this, if they didn't think the "partnership" would work, they wouldn't have offered.

I think the NHL knows they suck at marketing (before the lockout) and they know that they have to do better.

Comcast is stepping in and giving the money (which by the way was more then ESPN was going to give them) gives them power on how they will market the tv side of it.

Should be interesting, and I hope they do a good job with their promotions staff to get this thing launched right.

Interesting. Is Comcast going to step it up and finally challenge ESPN?

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)

ESPN has the right to match the offer. I suspect they will just to keep another sports channel from getting off the ground.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
Weren't the Hawks up against some sort of arbitration offer type deadline where they could have lost TBo and got nothing in return?  It seems to me I've read that somewhere.

No, the hawks resigned TBO before arbitration for a cool 2.5 million. This was before the Khabibulin signing.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:47 AM)
No, the hawks resigned TBO before arbitration for a cool 2.5 million.  This was before the Khabibulin signing.

I knew I had seen something about this. I just found it.

The Hawks had to deal Thibault by Wednesday's deadline for him to file for arbitration or risk not getting anything in return. If Thibault had filed for arbitration he likely would have won the decision, considering he had a two-way contract that allowed the Hawks to send him to the minor leagues. The Hawks probably would have walked away from the decision, allowing Thibault to be an unrestricted free agent.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)

No, I don't think Comcast is going after ESPN. They're taking a risk that hockey's going to come back strong.

And ESPN I don't think will match the offer.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
No, I don't think Comcast is going after ESPN.  They're taking a risk that hockey's going to come back strong.

And ESPN I don't think will match the offer.

Kap there was this article from Minny in this morning's papers on this issue;

"A little birdie says ESPN, within days, will retain its NHL TV broadcasting rights by matching Comcast's recent two-year, $100 million bid."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...rs/12362925.htm

Friday, August 12, 2005

Kiprusoff

The Flames will be signing him today for 10M for 3 years. A great move by the organization.

John LeClair is talking to the Boston and Toronto according to my sources.

Boris Mironov back to Edmonton is the rumor.

Very Good chance that Hamrlik finds a home today..stay tuned....

We will begin Podcasting next week..should be awesome. I actually will have a phone number that you can call and pose a question to the upcoming guests, and your question will be recorded in the podcast along with the response from the guest. stay tuned for that.

# posted by Eklund @ 10:54 AM

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Valerie Bure

To the LA Kings on Friday is the Rumor.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
....but does Detroit have any interest in Perrault?

There IS some black in the Blackhawks' color scheme, y'know....

:P  :D

I dont really like the black sweater too much. The red one is the best in the NHL though, no doubt about it.

Well there goes that idea....

Panthers sign Gratton

Canadian Press

8/12/2005 9:45:22 PM

SUNRISE, Fla. (CP) - The Florida Panthers signed centre Chris Gratton to a one-year contract, club general manager Mike Keenan announced Friday.

Gratton will earn $900,000 for the 2005-06 season.

''Chris is a tough, physical and competitive player who adds further depth at our forward position,'' said Keenan. ''He is another veteran player whose leadership and experience will be counted on as we continue to reshape our franchise.''

Gratton, 30, played in 81 games with Phoenix and Colorado during the 2003-04 season, recording 32 points and 111 penalty minutes.

The six-foot-four, 221-pound native of Brantford, Ont., has 174 goals, 296 assists and 1,351 penalty minutes in 851 career games.

Gratton was drafted third overall by Tampa Bay in the 1993 NHL draft and has also played for Philadelphia and Buffalo.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
I hear the Hawks signed Todd Simpson.

:headshake

I'm a little disappointed in the Mac trade, I really liked him and think he has a chance to be a good blueliner in the future.

Here's to the stupid way you wore your helmet and the hard work you put in as a Hawk :cheers

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
CHICAGO - The Blackhawks made a trade on Monday, sending defenseman Steve McCarthy to the Vancouver Canucks for a third round draft pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft

Why????

I guess none of them in the Hawks organ I zation liked McCarthy...in which makes no friggin sense at all.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Yeah, but i thought once Sutter was gone, Mac was safe.

Thats what I was hoping for as well...but seems Tallon didn't much care for him either I guess...I am surprised because Yawney would have worked well with Mac...terrible move by Tallon here. IMO