Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
This opens the door for Anton to make the team.. i love his shot, and I hope he makes it.

I know he was in the AHL All Star Competition for hardest shot. Did he win? Anyways, this guy has a devastating slap shot and if we can get some traffic in front for him the goalie has got no chance.

Tallon felt that Barker and Seabrook or even Duncan Keith or Anton Babchuk had better chances to contribute than McCarthy. I don't blame him. McCarthy got jerked around in Chicago but they needed toughness and that isn't McCarthy.

Sometimes there's more to it behind the scenes, if you can do a guy and his agent a favor by moving him somewhere he can get a fresh start, you might get a bone thrown your way later on. Plus, it saves a few $$ on the cap, which they might need to bring somebody in by Jan. or Feb.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
This opens the door for Anton to make the team.. i love his shot, and I hope he makes it.

Babchuk, by most accounts, had a pretty poor season at the Norfolk. At least, that's what most of the people who see the Norfolk games said at BHZ.

IMO with some of the press that new coach Trent Yawney was saying about Duncan Keith, I have a feeling he'll be the sixth D man in the lineup. It would make some sense, because after Adrian Aucoin, you really don't have that offensive type D man in the top 6.

I guess the Hawks figured that if they were going to pay for an offensive D-man, why not go a bit younger, with possibly a bit more upside with Duncan? It makes sense.

IMO - Anton will stay in Norfolk for another year. He's one dimensional right now, and that's his shot...he has to learn the finer points of defense, especially according to the Norfolk papers and those on BHZ, taking the body every chance he get.

I can't wait for Cam Barker and Brent Seabrook to join the team. Also, don't forget about James Wisnewski, who can be a Steve McCarthy clone with a bit more bite.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Also, don't forget about James Wisnewski, who can be a Steve McCarthy clone with a bit more bite.

Umm, I know alot of people are high on him, but he's too damn small to have more bite than Mac. Sorry, but I think he's a bit overrated because his team won the international tourney. JMO.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
In a way I feel bad for the Hawks. They really did spend some good $$$ to put a good product on the ice, and they already always have to compete with the Bears for the paper, now they will have to compete with the Sox for the start of the season. There going to be hard to find in the sports sections.

It's nobody's fault but their own.

You s*** on the product for a half-dozen years at least, as well as erasing half your schedule from mass consumption via television, and you're going to be banished to the pages behind prep sports and horse racing.

Add to that a lost season for no apparent reason and you've got a league on life support.

I love hockey, but there's not much to love about the NHL. I really hope the rule changes bring me back a little bit....

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 6, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Agree with Critic.

However, like the Sox, win and the fans will come out, to a degree.

I know you weren't Brian, but I just want to make this point. No way can anyone, no matter how much they hate Jerry, even come close to comparing him and Wirtz. Jerry may not spend a ridiculous amount of money on the club, but he does do things for the fans and thats something you can't say about Dollar Bill.

Totally agree, and a good point.

The hatred for the owner is there on both sides with a lot of people, but at least the sox are winning. Many people can look past Reinsdorf if the sox are in first.

When the Hawks are a suckfest for the last decade, there's no chance in hell anyone will look past Wirtz to go to games.

Definitely takes more to get em back to the Hawks games than Sox games.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
Totally agree, and a good point.

The hatred for the owner is there on both sides with a lot of people, but at least the sox are winning. Many people can look past Reinsdorf if the sox are in first.

When the Hawks are a suckfest for the last decade, there's no chance in hell anyone will look past Wirtz to go to games.

Definitely takes more to get em back to the Hawks games than Sox games.

I go anyway :bang

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
The Hawks will have one homegame televised, that being the Pittsburg game.

So, Sidney Crosbey in HD will be a nice treat incase I don't get tix to the game.

About ten days till the Hawks open at home.  Can't f***in' wait...  :headbang

You're not gettin my seats :finger

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Hell, I'm just happy that you guys gave us Detroit.  And Colorado, too.

No b****ing here.  :)

Ha, we get 15 free tickets too, so I'm sure I'll also be attending those.

I'm going to the first game against DET, 2 against the BJs and the Pens one for sure, aside from the preseason games. I'm sure I'll be going to more on the fly but definitely going to see Crosby, pray he doesnt get hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hawks beat Calgary 5-4 in their 1st exhibition game, Rene Bourque with 2 goals and 3 points, great start for him;

CHICAGO (AP) -- Rookie Rene Bourque scored his second goal with 17.8 seconds left to give the Chicago Blackhawks a 5-4 victory over the Calgary Flames in an exhibition game Saturday night.

Bourque skated behind the net and sent a backhand shot from a sharp angle between Calgary goalie Philippe Sauve and the left post.

Calgary's Chris Simon scored a power-play goal with 1:09 left in the third period to tie it at 4-all. Mark Giordano, who added two assists, scored with 5:53 remaining in the third to help rally the Flames from a 4-2 deficit.

Kyle Calder, Matthew Barnaby and Cam Barker also scored for the Blackhawks in their opener.

Jarome Iginla and Jordan Leopold also scored for the Flames, who lost to Edmonton in a shootout Friday night in their opener.

Michael Leighton played the entire game in goal for Chicago, making 33 saves.

Brent Krahn started in nets for the Flames, allowing three goals on 21 shots. Sauve replaced him at 9:20 of the second and permitted two goals on 13 shots.

There were 28 minor penalties, 17 against Chicago and 11 against Calgary. Chicago was 3-for-10 on the power play, while Calgary was 2-for-17.

The Blackhawks took a 2-0 lead just 3:51 in thanks to 5-on-3 power-play goals by Bourque and Barker.

The Flames tied it 2-2 midway through the first on Iginla's and Leopold's goals.

Calder scored a power-play goal at 9:20 of the second to give Chicago a 3-2 lead. Barnaby made it 4-2 midway though the third.