Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that Karyia wants to stay on the coast... i dont know if he's really interested. But signing Khabibulin convince him that we mean business.

maybe wearing that indian head will actually mean something again - as it should.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Now its time to see if they sign Kariya and than if they could deal Thibault for a good center (don't know if thats possible), the Hawks would really be set.

Huge signing, now lets get Kariya :cheers

:cheers i miss the days of kariya and teemu in anaheim. would absofugginlutely love that signing... :headbang

Wow. Great f***ing signing for the Blackhawks. IMO, every team needs a great goalie to succeed and the Hawks just got a great fuggin goalie. I'm surprised everyone hear want's Kariya now. Wasnt everyone complaining that he was soft? :huh

EDIT: Guess not...

Edited by SoxFan1

With the way the 'Hawks were dissed by Forsberg and Modano, I thought Khabibulin would bail out for sure. I was very shocked to see his signing. I'm hoping that this deal turns the fortunes of the Hawks around, and maybe other quality players decide to look towards Chicago.

An interesting rumor I read on BHZ or Wirtzsucks.com is that Martin St. Louis may be available from Tampa as well...has anyone else heard anything about this? If this is true Tallon should try to trade them Tblow since they now need a goalie hehe St Louis would be awesome for the Hawks and any other team that could get him...

Apparently, Edmonton offered Kariya a 1 year, 2.5-3 million dollar deal:

The Edmonton Journal reports that the Oilers have had preliminary talks with free agent forward Paul Kariya. The newspaper reports Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe has spoken recently with Kariya's agent Don Baizley.

The Journal reports the Oilers are believed to be offering Kariya a one year deal worth between $2.5-million and $3-million.

San Jose and Los Angeles are also said to be interested in Kariya, who took a chance in 2004 by signing a one year deal with Colorado for just over $1-million - some $8-million less than the previous season. The Chicago Blackhawks have also reportedly put an offer on the table.

However, with their payroll sitting at just over $22-million and having already added Chris Pronger and Michael Peca to their roster this week, the Oilers could find themselves in a position of having to deal away a player in order to fit Kariya into their plans.

Lowe added that he would consider adding free agent Mark Messier but only if he has some money left after filling out the rest of his roster.

If this is true, I woud highly doubt he takes this offer instead of the Hawks offer. With the Hawks, he's make 5 mil a year but he would only make 1/2 that in Edmonton. I guess it is up to him to decide, less money in Edmonton or more money in Chicago...

Edited by SoxFan1

oops this should prolly go in other thread. feel free to move.

Khabibulin signs four-year deal

CHICAGO -- Stanley Cup-winning goalie Nikolai Khabibulin signed a four-year, $27 million contract with the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday, leaving the defending champion Tampa Bay Lightning.

Khabibulin played in 55 regular-season games for the Lightning during 2003-04, posting a 28-19-7 record with three shutouts, a 2.33 goals against average and a .910 save percentage.

In the playoffs, he was 16-7 with an NHL-best five shutouts. His 1.71 goals-against average ranked second.

The 32-year-old Khabibulin is 209-187-58 in 476 regular-season games with 35 shutouts and a 2.61 goals-against average for Winnipeg-Phoenix and Tampa Bay during his nine NHL seasons. He is 31-25 with six shutouts in the playoffs.

"When we began this process, we targeted Nikolai Khabibulin and Adrian Aucoin as the two main players we wanted to sign," general manager Dale Tallon said.

The Blackhawks, who have reached the playoffs only once in seven seasons, have significantly improved their defense since the free agent shopping season began on Monday. Chicago signed former New York Islanders All-Star defenseman Aucoin to a four-year, $16 million contract on Tuesday. The Blackhawks also signed winger Martin Lapointe to a three-year, $7.2 million deal and defenseman Jaroslav Spacek to a one-year, $2.25 contract.

"I know our fans have gone through some difficult times, but we said that we would remain flexible and give ourselves a chance to improve our team under the new rules governing the NHL," Tallon said of the $39-million salary cap.

"We planned ahead with this day in mind and we are extremely happy that we were able to achieve some of our goals," he said in a statement.

Not only is Tallon a new hire but so is coach Trent Yawney as the Blackhawks have undergone a major makeover trying to erase years of bad hockey and small crowds.

Khabibulin skated for Ak Bars Kazan in the Russian Elite League during the lockout that wiped out last season, appearing in 24 games. He played for Russia at the 2002 Winter Olympics, going 3-2-1 with one shutout and a 2.34 goals against average.

He will be missed in Tampa Bay.

"Is it a setback? It is," Lightning general manager Jay Feaster said.

Feaster said Tampa Bay will be looking for another goaltender either through the free agent market or by a trade. Khabibulin's backup with the Lightning, John Grahame will be given a shot to win the top job.

"John Grahame is licking his chops to compete for that spot," Feaster said.

The Blackhawks might be able to move goaltender Jocelyn Thibault, who was recently tendered a qualifying offer.

Tampa Bay could use the money saved on Khabibulin to try to sign star forward Vincent Lecavalier to a long-term deal. Feaster said he plans to speak Lecavalier's agent on Monday in an attempt to keep the 25-year-old center away from unrestricted free agency next summer.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
Not too fimiliar with him, his numebrs are not that of a 1st liners, which line would he be playing on?

4th liner. He's replacing Nichols who become a UFA. Everyone over on BHZ says its a good upgrade (not a major move, but he's better than Nichols who was the previous 4th line center).