Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was funny news to me. During my goaltending camp my instructor came out and told us. His assistant is Craig Anderson, who seemed happy but anxious about his future. Really great signing for the Hawks.

PS, I like Jimmy Dowd over Nichol anyday. Gritty, FO winner who can do some good things to get production out of Mark Bell.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
This was funny news to me.  During my goaltending camp my instructor came out and told us.  His assistant is Craig Anderson, who seemed happy but anxious about his future.  Really great signing for the Hawks.

PS, I like Jimmy Dowd over Nichol anyday.  Gritty, FO winner who can do some good things to get production out of Mark Bell.

So, as it is now, the lines are...

Calder - ??? - Ruutu

Bell - Arny - Daze

Barnaby - Brown - LaPointe

Thorton - Dowd - Guy-we-got-for-Moen/Borque/Vorobiev

I'd be fine with that. Not many teams are going to bully these Blackhawks around. That third line is going to be fun to watch, too.

Khabibulin becomes the highest payed player in Blackhawk history. Trade Thibault for something -- maybe a package to get a first/second line center? They certainly aren't done. I think this team is one offensive player away from being pretty damn good.

Anyone know Rutuu's health status? I know one of my professors who had season tickets and knew some people in the organization said his shoulder surgery was really botched, and if it wasn't for the lockout he would have missed some time last year.

Any updates on how he is doing? Did he play in any of the European leagues?

REALLY annoyed that we missed out on Allison, when all he got from Toronto was $1.5M for 1 year, maybe he just dead set on a move there, but the Hawks should have at least offered 2.5 if that's what they're paying a 3rd line winger in Martin LaPointe. The Kariya one I can live with, because Nashville just gave him a big deal, and well center's a higher priority than a winger for me.

And as Kap said yesterday, I think Eric Lindros is gonna be headed our way now, considering he's the only real 1st line center (when healthy) out there via FA. Let's just hope he doesn't get a concussion on the way to the press conference after he signs or something. :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:03 AM)
Anyone know Rutuu's health status?  I know one of my professors who had season tickets and knew some people in the organization said his shoulder surgery was really botched, and if it wasn't for the lockout he would have missed some time last year.

Any updates on how he is doing?  Did he play in any of the European leagues?

He's fine.

He played the World Cup last year (watch his awesome goal from the WC), and after it, had surgery. He probably would have been out for the first half of the season.

You can check up on how he's doing on www.tuomoruutu.com. I haven't gone their in a while, but he updates it pretty regularly, IIRC.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Kap, any news on who the Hawks might target next? Trade? FA? Any good wingers still available?

sorry to tell you fellas, but Dale Tallon made the comment that everything is in place, and that all of his players have reported. I think he might be done. That leaves our offense.... :puke

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
sorry to tell you fellas, but Dale Tallon made the comment that everything is in place, and that all of his players have reported.  I think he might be done. That leaves our offense....  :puke

Gotta be a smokescreen. T-Bo's gonna be traded for something, might as well go after something big and include Daze or Calder in the deal to get that #1 center.

I've heard that the 'Hawks are now at $34 million? The cap is $39 million yes?

I'd stop there. Trade Thibault, get the money down to about $31 million or so. If you can sign someone, great, but they don't need to. Remember, they're going to eventually have to give raises to Arny/Bell/Calder, so I hope they're looking down the road a little bit and have some flexibility. Being about five million or so shy of the cap isn't such a bad thing...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
I've heard that the 'Hawks are now at $34 million?  The cap is $39 million yes?

I'd stop there.  Trade Thibault, get the money down to about $31 million or so.  If you can sign someone, great, but they don't need to.  Remember, they're going to eventually have to give raises to Arny/Bell/Calder, so I hope they're looking down the road a little bit and have some flexibility.  Being about five million or so shy of the cap isn't such a bad thing...

They wanted to be around $34M in case the cap went down next season, and to have a crack at the FA's out there in the next off-season. It depends how big the raises for those 3 guys are. If you could get a Lindros on a 1 year deal though for about 1.5 to 2 mill like Allison, they should do it though. With him and Spacek's contracts coming off the books next season, that'd be about what $4 mill freed up in payroll right there.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)
They wanted to be around $34M in case the cap went down next season, and to have a crack at the FA's out there in the next off-season. It depends how big the raises for those 3 guys are. If you could get a Lindros on a 1 year deal though for about 1.5 to 2 mill like Allison, they should do it though. With him and Spacek's contracts coming off the books next season, that'd be about what $4 mill freed up in payroll right there.

I've heard that Lindros isn't the greatest guy in the clubhouse. If that's true, there's no way I want him anywhere near the 'Hawks...

Also, Calder will make about $1.3 million this year per BHZ. That was my mistake, so the raises are going to be for Arny and Bell.

It'll be interesting to see what the market is for Thibault, as far as what they can expect in return. Any guesses?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
sorry to tell you fellas, but Dale Tallon made the comment that everything is in place, and that all of his players have reported.  I think he might be done. That leaves our offense....  :puke

Welcome back there killer! :lol:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
I've heard that Lindros isn't the greatest guy in the clubhouse.  If that's true, there's no way I want him anywhere near the 'Hawks...

Also, Calder will make about $1.3 million this year per BHZ.  That was my mistake, so the raises are going to be for Arny and Bell.

It'll be interesting to see what the market is for Thibault, as far as what they can expect in return.  Any guesses?

That's why I really annoyed we missed out on Allison, especially for the price he went at. Off the top of my head, I'd say these teams could be interested in T-Bo;

Tampa Bay

Detroit

Atlanta

Los Angeles

Phoenix

Edmonton

Colorado

Vancouver

Pittsburgh

Washington

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
I also think that you all are going to be surprised at how well the Hawks go on the offensive zone - Yawney is a good coach.

That's good to hear, and considering the rap's we've heard he's given as a teacher to the young kids, hopefully the likes of Matt Keith etc. can become 2nd line players instead of 3rd/4th line players if you catch my drift.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
That's why I really annoyed we missed out on Allison, especially for the price he went at. Off the top of my head, I'd say these teams could be interested in T-Bo;

Tampa Bay

Detroit

Atlanta

Los Angeles

Phoenix

Edmonton

Colorado

Vancouver

Pittsburgh

Washington

That makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks work a deal with Colorado. They need a goalie. I'd love to see Tallon put together a package for Hejduk, but I won't be complaining if it doesn't happen.

More likely, we'll probably see a package of picks for Thibault. A second and a third? Just a second?

Welcome back there killer! 

I appreciate all the insight you've brought to this thread... :rolly

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
That makes sense.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks work a deal with Colorado.  They need a goalie.  I'd love to see Tallon put together a package for Hejduk, but I won't be complaining if it doesn't happen.

More likely, we'll probably see a package of picks for Thibault.  A second and a third?  Just a second?

I appreciate all the insight you've brought to this thread...  :rolly

Call me crazy, I'd actually prefer Tanguay to Hejduk. At least Tanguay has had some experience at playing at center, and he's younger, it would just depend if the Hawks could work out a long - term deal with him as he accepted Colorado's qualifying offer. Hejduk is a stud though, and they're relying on him to become their top point scorer now with Forsberg gone.

That said, agreed on the picks. The Hawks are rebuilding, and they can use those picks come draft day for a possible trade up, or to just continue to rebuild that system. And please no more Russian players drafted, we don't to go through the likes of Yakubov and Radulov again. I still have some hope for Vorobiev though.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
I appreciate all the insight you've brought to this thread...  :rolly

Thanks. I see that this comment adds a lot to the thread as well. I was simply welcoming someone back. Sorry, ban me! :headshake

Anyways, to keep the thread on track, why would Colorado need a goalie? Simply as a back-up, no? Aebischer had some nice numbers. 32-19-9 with a 2.09 GAA in the 04-04 season is not too shabby. He is up there in quite a few stats...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Thanks. I see that this comment adds a lot to the thread as well. I was simply welcoming someone back. Sorry, ban me! :headshake

Anyways, to keep the thread on track, why would Colorado need a goalie? Simply as a back-up, no? Aebischer had some nice numbers. 32-19-9 with a 2.09 GAA in the 04-04 season is not too shabby. He is up there in quite a few stats...

Having a good defense in front of him helped Aebischer immensely. But now they've lost Foote who was one of their top 2 D-Man, and IIRC wasn't Aebischer really shaky at parts during the last season and the playoffs?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)

Tampa Bay

Detroit

Atlanta

Los Angeles

Phoenix

Edmonton

Colorado

Vancouver

Pittsburgh

Washington

Tampa is happy with Grahme, who actually had better regular season stats then did Kahbibulin.

Detroit has no room

Atlanta - are you kidding me? Keri Lehtonin is the next Patrick Roy. Maybe not this year, but this kid is the real deal, mark my words

Edmonton just signed their #1 from last year today

Washington, maybe, but who do they have to offer in a trade? No one.

Colorado still believes in Aubisheur (sp)... don't ask me why

Pittsburgh - can't make it work... and besides they have Marc Andre Fleury - remember him?

Thibault will get moved, IMO, but it will be interesting as to where.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
Having a good defense in front of him helped Aebischer immensely. But now they've lost Foote who was one of their top 2 D-Man, and IIRC wasn't Aebischer really shaky at parts during the last season and the playoffs?

vs Dallas: 4-1-0 2.00 GAA

vs San Jose: 2-4-0 2.33 GAA

2.08 GAA for the playoffs with a .922 SV%