Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I dunno, Kap, they're going to score a lot of goals, but I also think they're going to get scored on a whole bunch, too.  Their defense doesn't impress me much at all...

A lot of people underestimate the Pens D. They have an excellent mix of stay at home and offensive defensman. Gonchar/Orpik, Tarnstrom/Melichar, Strbak/Jackman, not many people are familiar with any of these guys, but they're all solid NHLers. Not many teams have six solid guys at the blue line. The pens forward core is also filled with players that are excellent in their own zone, Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin (if he comes over), Recchi, Malone, Koltsov, and Kraft are all going to get prime playing time and they'll be there to help out the D.

QUOTE(LDF @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
don't look past philly and what they have done.

imo, philly and pitt are the teams to beat now.

Forsberg alone in Philly is going to tip the scales in the East. Their defense looks imposing, however I don't feel that they'll be as effective as people think with the new obstruction rules in effect. Philly seems like the team to beat, but they have holes just like any other team, like scoring depth in particular, and there are going to be plenty of competitors in the East. Pittsburgh, without a true number 1 goalie will be a 4th or 5th seed. With their fast paced offense, they're going to give up a lot of scoring chances and they need a goalie that can steal a few goals. They're looking to sign Sean Burke which is good because he'll help Fleury into his role, like he did with Esche, but bad because Burke is old and just not that good.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
You just hope for the team's sake the people in Pittsburgh show up to games, and they get that arena situation sorted out sooner rather than later.

And I would like Kris Beech on this team no doubt about it. But with the likes of Colin Fraser etc. already scrapping it out for a 3rd/4th line place, I doubt that will happen. He does deserve an oppurtunity though.

Pitts has already sold out a bunch of games because of Crosby. People are going to watch this team. It's not going to be like last season where just about everyone on the team is a rookie.

Colin Fraser is a good prospect, but he's small and certainly not ready for the Show. Kris Beech is a much better physical force in front of the net, and he has much more experience playing professional hockey.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
A lot of people underestimate the Pens D.  They have an excellent mix of stay at home and offensive defensman.  Gonchar/Orpik, Tarnstrom/Melichar, Strbak/Jackman, not many people are familiar with any of these guys, but they're all solid NHLers.  Not many teams have six solid guys at the blue line.  The pens forward core is also filled with players that are excellent in their own zone, Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin (if he comes over), Recchi, Malone, Koltsov, and Kraft are all going to get prime playing time and they'll be there to help out the D. 

I disagree about them ALL being solid NHLers. Tarnstrom couldn't cover me in his own end. Orpik is going to be something special, but not yet. Brooks can't handle the puck as well as Tarnstrom but is average on D. Jackman is tough as nails but I skates like hes 40.

They have some holes, lots of young, raw talent, but not enough to win yet.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
Colin Fraser is a good prospect, but he's small and certainly not ready for the Show.  Kris Beech is a much better physical force in front of the net, and he has much more experience playing professional hockey.

Agreed on Fraser.

He's never going to be a scorer; I mean, he'll score some goals, but I'm talking about being a 1st or 2nd liner. He'll be the typical third-line center, win faceoffs, and just be one real sonuvva b****. For one thing, he was real fun to watch at the prospect camp, just 'cause of his scrappy style of play.

going back on the subject of the hawks, i think they are going to be fun to watch.

however, i think the hawks need another forward, an elite winger.

what do you guys think of the young d-man we have. do you thiink a older experience dman like steven can help in the teaching and solidify the defense

QUOTE(LDF @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
going back on the subject of the hawks, i think they are going to be fun to watch.

however, i think the hawks need another forward, an elite winger.

what do you guys think of the young d-man we have. do you thiink a older experience dman like steven can help in the teaching and solidify the defense

The Hawks definately need more scoring, who doesn't? They have an excellent young core of defensemen, and Stevens would be a huge, huge, huge influence on every one of them. He is one of the best leaders in the game, and one of the hardest hitters. He would make the defense so much better, if only because he logs 25 minutes a game and keeps the weaker guys off the ice. He's going to command a lot of money if he's going to leave NJ, but he would fit right in with the Hawks brand of hockey. He's the kind of player that belongs in a Hawks sweater.

i have been thinking along the same line and if the hawks do trade tbo, i would love to get stevens and he would be a bargin.

i read somewhere that there is a list of teams who are interested in tbo. we can address the forward prospect with smart trading. i now have confidence in tallon where i didn't with smith or pulford.

Hawks are done defensively, unless someone gets crazy and offers a stud blueliner for Thibault.

They have their six for this year -- Aucoin, Cullimore, Vandermeer, McCarthy, Spacek, and the rookie who performs best in camp. Next year, Seabrook will be a lock to make the team. Same with Barker. And, unless Babchuk has an extrememly poor year in the A, he'll be up. That to go along with the smaller, speedier guys like Wisniewski (sp?) and Keith.

They do need, however, a sniper. Their best offensive prospect, in my mind -- Bolland -- even he seems to be a good second-liner. They don't have any Evgeny (sp?) Malkin's in their system, so they'll probably need to sign or trade for one.

i am total agreement with everything you said.

my only problem with the list of players on "D" is Steve McCarthy. i don't know why, but i don't see what others like in him. i would shed a tear if he was traded or wasn't in the pict for the future hawks

QUOTE(LDF @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
i am total agreement with everything you said.

my only problem with the list of players on "D" is Steve McCarthy. i don't know why, but i don't see what others like in him. i would shed a tear if he was traded or wasn't in the pict for the future hawks

Trading McCarthy would be a very unwise move. I don't know if there's any team that couldn't find a roster spot for someone with his kind of talent.

The Atlanta Journal is saying the Thrashers are hot after Selanne and Bondra while the Pens are hot after Stumpel, CuJo, and Burke with Burke close to accepting a 2 year deal. The Avs signed Bruette to a 2 year deal and Ray Whitney signed with the 'Canes for 2 years as well.

Now, I'm gonna throw out a name. Valeri Bure. I believe he is on the market. Any thoughts?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
The Atlanta Journal is saying the Thrashers are hot after Selanne and Bondra while the Pens are hot after Stumpel, CuJo, and Burke with Burke close to accepting a 2 year deal. The Avs signed Bruette to a 2 year deal and Ray Whitney signed with the 'Canes for 2 years as well.

Now, I'm gonna throw out a name. Valeri Bure. I believe he is on the market. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't say Bure fits the mold of character guys and toughness the Hawks are going after.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
I found another interesting hockey rumors blog....don't know how legit it is but the site looks creditable..

http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Interesting, it looks like Pittsburgh and Phoenix look to be the favorites for Thibault so far, and that Sean Burke is porbably gonna have to wait to see who gets him, and then go to the other team.

Frankly if I'm the Pens I just sign Burke, so you don't have to give up picks / players for T-Bo, but I guess they just like Jocelyn more.

As for Carter he wouldn't be a bad option but I think the Hawks are done. My guess is he'll actually get less than Martin LaPointe though (which is saying something in itself)..........

Also since we're talking hockey, I'm wondering if anyone has played the latest version of Eastside Hockey Manager from Sports Interactive? It's a pretty good style sports management game and it's updated up to the season where the Hawks have the likes of Barker and Bolland in their system.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

Use green next time.

I agree. When I saw them outside the locker room in Fla. I was surprised how frail this guy was. At least his brother had some size.

Other then his little wifey, there's nothing there. If those two had kids, it would be a midget.

:bang

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
I agree. When I saw them outside the locker room in Fla. I was surprised how frail this guy was.  At least his brother had some size.

Other then his little wifey, there's nothing there.  If those two had kids, it would be a midget.

:bang

his little wifey is a piece and a half of pure wisconson cheddar.... and a childstar from a very popular family sitcom.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
:lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

Use green next time.

What ever do you mean, Tom? Don't you like 30 year olds who can barely play half a season? Don't you remember the likes of the 'great' Alexander Karpotsev?

Damn, man. Valeri Bure... hasn't played a full season since 2000. Just what we need, more cripples.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
I wasn't all that impressed with ms. candice.

no? i always thought she was hawt after she got through with that eating disorder...

maybe she's one of those gals who only looks good when she has a make-up artist handy.