Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

I was there, and I think that was the first preseason game I've ever been to when there isnt a fight lol.

But seriously, Bourque impressed, Barker really impressed me, he made Iggy his b**** for the night.

Leighton looked awful in the net, he got lucky a few times.

Bell and Calder didn't look too good. Lots of penalties on the Hawks as well.

Good effort though boys and way to bring home a W. :cheers

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawks up 1-0 early on a PP goal by Daze, credit the assists to Arnason and Vorobiev.

I was at the game last night with Pauly.

Borque can score. I don't know much else about his game, but his first goal was a real nasty wrist shot, top shelf. The second one was a nice little give-and-go with Calder, in which he was behind the net, shot it towards the front, and it hit off a defender's skate.

Hawks up 2-0 on another PP goal. Scored by Bell, assisted by Spacek and Wisniewski. Lookout for Wisniewski. He's a little guy, but he played decently last year at the A, and next year will probably have a shot to make the team.

Also, Dustin Byfuglian = huge guy. I went into the UC, and the players who weren't skating last night greeted the fans -- talk about a large guy, both ways.

And, AJ Baines might not be a great NHL player, but he's a real nice/cool guy.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
Alot of people have said Borque is a AAAA type player. I hope that is not the case, it would be great to see the Hawks have another young winger step it up.

From what I've read over at BHZ, he seems like a player who has a lot of talent, just not always the guy who's giving 100% every shift. In other words, turning it on and off.

I don't know how good he can be. Pauly said this last night while we were at the game, and he was right -- I sort of didn't know how to watch the game, 'cause I haven't seen a live game in so long.

So, with that being said... he stood out. Like I said, his first goal was real good, a nice wrist shot, and on his second goal, he got lucky, but hey, that's what happens when you put the puck towards the net. He also scored in the fake 'shootout' thing they had at the end, but that whole thing was stupid in the first place.

Another guy who stood out was the player Tallon traded Moen for, Holmquist (sp?). I don't know how he did defensively, but he looked decent in on offense.

Seabrook didn't play too well. Looked tentative a bit.

Barker really opened some eyes. This one time, Iginla was coming up the right side, and Barker rode him down behind the net and pushed him into the boards, a real nice play. Aucoin was good, too.

Bolland played, didn't really stick out. He might've had a shot or two, I'm not sure. He also scored in the fake shootout, but, like I said, it was pretty stupid.

Now this stat I like;

Chicago's special teams were outstanding in winning two games over the weekend. The power play was 5-19 while the penalty killers killed off 23 of 25 chances. Should this trend continue, the Hawks will be major players in the West this season.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
I'd cut those numbers in half and youre getting a little closer.  I bet about 5 thousand or so on saturday and I'd assume the same for sunday.

A few people on Blackhawk forums have said that too.

I just posted what the attendance was listed as in the boxscore.

We just lost 4-2 at Calgary, they scored an empty netter at the end of the game to put the result beyond doubt. Duncan Keith, and Cam Barker on a 5 on 3 PP scored the goals. I'm thinking Barker's gonna make the team on what he's done in the pre-season so far.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
We just lost 4-2 at Calgary, they scored an empty netter at the end of the game to put the result beyond doubt. Duncan Keith, and Cam Barker on a 5 on 3 PP scored the goals. I'm thinking Barker's gonna make the team on what he's done in the pre-season so far.

Cam Barker was sexy last saturday. Just looked like an NHL defenseman. I think Barinka should make it too, he's a nasty blueliner I would like to see the hawks have.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 05:36 AM)
First televised Hawks game tonight. They take on the Wild at 7:00 on CSN+*******

*******Game will only be seen if Comcast isn't a huge sack of crap like it was earlier tonight. Unbelievable.

Here are the Hawks that will be dressing, per BHZ:

2 Duncan Keith D

5 Jassen Cullimore D

8 Anton Babchuk D

11 Matt Keith RW

14 Rene Bourque LW

16 Matt Ellison C

17 Michael Holmqvist LW

19 Kyle Calder LW

27 Todd Simpson D

28 Mark Bell C

29 Shawn Thornton RW

32 Pavel Vorobiev LW

34 Jim Dowd C

38 Jason Morgan C

39 Tyler Arnason C

43 James Wisniewski D

45 Quintin Laing LW

48 Mark Cullen C

52 Dustin Byfuglien D

58 Brian Lee D

Byfuglian playing -- YES! :headbang

Other players who deserve a lower-case 'yes' -- Wisniewski, Vorobiev (he played well on Sunday, I've heard), and Borque. Along with, of course, ABC.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
He was in Norfolk for the last 2 seasons IIRC.

Yep, you're correct, but IMO he's been a disappointment. I expected him to be with the big club right now and being a major contributor. I think it's the curse of the Keith Jerseys, I'm pretty sure he has a Babs one to go with JoeBo. Hopefully it wont be the same scenario lol.

But he was supposed to be excellent and still has that chance, but he's already been passed up by Barker and Seabrook and I think Barinka outplayed him in the preseason as well.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
Yep, you're correct, but IMO he's been a disappointment.  I expected him to be with the big club right now and being a major contributor.  I think it's the curse of the Keith Jerseys, I'm pretty sure he has a Babs one to go with JoeBo.  Hopefully it wont be the same scenario lol.

But he was supposed to be excellent and still has that chance, but he's already been passed up by Barker and Seabrook and I think Barinka outplayed him in the preseason as well.

He was always going to take a bit longer to get used to the American Style of Hockey. He needs to work on things like his awareness, positioning etc. but I still like him with that slap shot of his. But yes, with Barker, Seabrook, Keith, Barinka probably all going to be fixtures for the next decade, Babchuk needs to have a good year down at Norfolk. Pavel Vorobiev too, wherever he is.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
He was always going to take a bit longer to get used to the American Style of Hockey. He needs to work on things like his awareness, positioning etc. but I still like him with that slap shot of his. But yes, with Barker, Seabrook, Keith, Barinka probably all going to be fixtures for the next decade, Babchuk needs to have a good year down at Norfolk. Pavel Vorobiev too, wherever he is.

You can say get used to American style hockey after the first season. He's going on his third over here and still getting beaten in open ice and routinely coughing up the puck at the blueline. I dont think American style hockey has anything to do with that. Awareness and positioning shouldnt be a problem for a top 10 pick and such a big guy. I'm not cutting him too much slack this year, if he disappoints again in Norfolk, package him for picks.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
You can say get used to American style hockey after the first season.  He's going on his third over here and still getting beaten in open ice and routinely coughing up the puck at the blueline.  I dont think American style hockey has anything to do with that.  Awareness and positioning shouldnt be a problem for a top 10 pick and such a big guy.  I'm not cutting him too much slack this year, if he disappoints again in Norfolk, package him for picks.

He wasn't a top 10 pick, wasn't he drafted at 23? And yes I would also stay away from drafting Russians from the luck we've had with Yakubov, Vorobiev and now possibly Babchuk. That's why you saw Tallon take Jack Skille, a change in philosophy if you will.

Looks like Barker back to Juniors;

Cam Barker could be the odd man out in the battle for the last two spots on the Blackhawk blueline.

Barker is only 19 and Coach Trent Yawney thinks that Barker's play was better at the beginning of camp than of late. Yawney thinks that Barker could be better served playing lots of minutes in Medicine Hat and at the World Junior tournament, rather than languishing on the Hawks bench. Look for Glenn Seabrook and Duncan Keith to land the last two defensemen spots in Chicago. Sep. 29 - 8:07 am et