Chicago Blackhawks Offseason Bonanza Thread

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
So Keith or Tony, fill me in here, is Ruutu currently slated to start the year at center or as a LW? Because here's some lineup scenarios at the moment with the top 6 forwards. Either way, Arny shouldn't start the year as the #1 center.

1 - Daze - Ruutu - Bell

2 - Calder - Arnason - ???

1 - Ruutu - ??? - Calder

2 - Daze - Arnason - Bell

Oh and the Modano deal includes a No - Trade Clause. That maybe could have been the holdup, besides the extra money his agent wanted.

I know you said Tony and Keith, but I'm here first, he's a winger from now on. He may center some ST and maybe fill in a game or so but for the most part he'lll be a wing.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
I know you said Tony and Keith, but I'm here first, he's a winger from now on.  He may center some ST and maybe fill in a game or so but for the most part he'lll be a wing.

Ok thanks Tom, I wan't completely 100% sure, since I didn't really pay that much attention as to do what he was during the lockout etc, but he should probably be on the 1st line, with Calder or Bell and a good center, leaving Daze, Arny and the other out of B and C on the 2nd line.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Dabbs, I would think Roots is going to be a LW, but will be able to move into the C spot when needed. The Hawks need a C.

And that's going to be a big problem because well there's not many at all out there now. Has Roenick to LA been 100% confirmed yet, because it's been mentioned on Rotoworld but doesn't look to be official, maybe the Hawks can sneak in at the last minute. Besides him there's injury prone (concussion) Jason Allison and not much else off the top of my head especially with Modano off the market now.

Article on the Hawks missing out on Forsberg and Modano;

Before the signing period began, Blackhawks general manager Dale Tallon said potential free agents wouldn't spurn Chicago because of the Hawks' dismal recent history.

Wednesday, Tallon may have found out how much work he has to do in bringing up the image of the Hawks in the eyes of the NHL.

Two superstars—Peter Forsberg and Mike Modano—signed contracts Wednesday for less money than the Hawks had offered.

In the case of Modano, he accepted a five-year contract worth $17.25 million to stay in Dallas, turning down a reported four-year, $20 million offer from the Hawks.

The Hawks offered Forsberg, 32, a two-year deal worth $12 million, but the Swede instead accepted a two-year deal worth $11.5 million to play for the Philadelphia Flyers.

"We made [Forsberg] a good offer," Tallon said. "It wasn't [about] money."

According to a source close to the Flyers, Forsberg has wanted to play for the Flyers since they drafted him in 1991. He was dealt to Quebec in the trade for Eric Lindros before he ever wore a Flyers sweater.

There also may be a perception throughout the league the Hawks are still a couple of years away from winning, and for players closer to the end of their careers—such as Modano and Forsberg—winning may be an important factor with contract offers all being relatively similar.

Modano, 35, has spent his entire career with the Stars, being drafted first overall in 1988 while the franchise was still in Minnesota.

"It's a good deal with the potential for long-term security and I've always wanted to end my career in Dallas," Modano told the Dallas Morning News. "The numbers might not match up with the other deals, but I think in the long run this will be better for me."

Dallas general manager Doug Armstrong thought Modano agreed to the deal Tuesday night, only to find he was rejecting it Wednesday before he relented. League sources said the Hawks had their offer on the table Tuesday and were rumored to be involved along with Boston throughout the day Wednesday.

Like the Hawks, Boston reportedly offered Modano four years and $20 million, but dropped out Wednesday evening, perhaps to pursue defenseman Scott Niedermayer.

"We're doing the best we can possibly do," Tallon said before the latest Modano reports Wednesday evening. "There are 30 teams out there. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You just have to make sure you're doing the right thing for your team."

Waiting and watching developments in Chicago and throughout the NHL is goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin, who is No. 1 on the Hawks' wish list, according to a league source.

"They're not in a rush, they want to take their time," Tallon said of Khabibulin's representatives.

Has anyone gotten Ziggy Palffy as of yet?? If not Tallon should do his best to get him signed...He would be hella firepower. IMO Also from what I have read in various reports that Roenick has not been dealt as of yet...so there is still a chance I guess...

Edited by EvilJester99

There's no doubt that Modano played the Hawks.

I think there's a good chance that Khabibulin is doing the same.

I do have to say that it wasn't the smartest move by Tallon to take offers off the table for others (Satan being one of them) just because a player/players agent (Modano) says you're in pole position to get him.

[rant]Modano is a lying, low life, mummy's boy, piece of s***. I hope Barnaby lays the prick out.[/rant]

In other news - Palffy would be nice.

News from this morning's papers;

Roenick to either Phoenix or LA. Wants to go back to the West Coast, so that prob counts us out;

Roenick Article

Toronto wants to sign Lindros and Allison to incentive laden contracts. I think they'll be our next targets if we're going after a center;

Lindros - Allison Article

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
I've always liked Paul Kariya, i think he'd be a great fit - and with his speed his game should improve with some of the new rule changes. I can see him setting Tuomo up for scoring chance after scoring chance after scoring chance

Landing Palffy and Kariya would really help our offense immensely. I doubt it happens but we can always dream. I agree with you Murcie, Paul is a good point man who should be helped by the new rule changes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 06:57 AM)
Well there you go.  When you treat your players and fans like s*** for so long, new players don't want to come here, dispite the money.  Imagine that.

While it's a small factor IMO, I think having a rookie coach and GM plays into their decisions too.

I think older players want a chance to win right now, and maybe they don't see that in Chicago with inexperienced management. Sucks for the Hawks, though.

A guy I would like to see the Hawks go after is Adam Deadmarsh and also a guy they were after a couple years ago in Chris Gratton. Not #1 type guys but would be much improved over some of the guys the Hawks have....

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
A guy I would like to see the Hawks go after is Adam Deadmarsh and also a guy they were after a couple years ago in Chris Gratton. Not #1 type guys but would be much improved over some of the guys the Hawks have....

Gratton I can't really see considering they already have Curtis Brown as the #3 center (wasn't that a great signing Pully). It depends on whether they think Arny can handle being the #1 center, and I don't think they do.

Deadmarsh is good winger WHEN healthy. Hasn't he had a lot of really bad concussion injuries over the past few seasons?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
Gratton I can't really see considering they already have Curtis Brown as the #3 center (wasn't that a great signing Pully). It depends on whether they think Arny can handle being the #1 center, and I don't think they do.

Deadmarsh is good winger WHEN healthy. Hasn't he had a lot of really bad concussion injuries over the past few seasons?

Yeah Deadmarsh has an issue with concussions the last few years but if he is healthy and can stay that way is a good power forward. As for Gratton he is a lot better than Curtis Brown....If Gratton could get his head and ass in the game on a regular basis he would be great....his drive is the biggest question mark. IMO

News on Zhamnov;

Rumors have Alexei Zhamnov going to Boston.

Apparently the Bruins have offered Zhamnov a three-year deal for over $12 million. The Bruins made the offer after losing out in the Mike Modano sweepstakes. Aug. 4 - 9:34 am et

How many centers do Boston have now? I'm counting Thornton, Scatchard, Zhamnov, and there's 1 or 2 more maybe.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
They still plan to move Thornton right?

Maybe, depends what happens on his contract. Probably isn't going to sign a long - term deal and will sign the qualifying offer instead. The Detroit offer (with Pavel Datsyuk) looks to be the best so far.

QUOTE(Credepopsup @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Latest rumor - Martin LaPointe to the Hawks, 3yrs - $7.2m

Where'd you hear that one? Last news on him from Rotoworld said he wanted a 4 year $10M deal, and Ottawa were probably going to give it to him. Can't see him picking us over Ottawa for a lesser offer, although maybe it's a smokescreen.

If I was a hockey player in the NHL, chicago wouldnt be very attractive for several reasons. The fact that they are years away from being good is not attractive, they dont like to re-sign their star players, and its one of the only cities where I would be nameless. We dont show our home games on TV, the fan base suffers and so do the players, and their wallets. It pisses me off that we could of had Modano or Forsberg and they chose location over money. In other sports, we get the location choice, Wirtz should be thinking hard about his stupid outdated approach.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
I would certainly take Marty Lapointe....he is a solid pick up if the Hawks actually got him.

I wouldn't. No offense to the guy, but he's nothing more than a 3rd liner to me. He's got 43 points over the past 2 seasons with Boston. He needs to score at least 35 to 40 points a season for it to be a good signing.