Bla.. ticket drama..

Steff

Just got an email from a friend of ours that's also a Sox ST holder..

He sold his tickets to a "friend" for one of the Yankee games. Now he finds out that the guy sold them to someone else - at a serious profit (more than $400).

He's all up in arms because a. the guy sold them at such a profit, and b. that he didn't offer them back to him first if he really couldn't go (there was suggestion in the email that the guy never planned on going and was going to sell them all along).

Just curious as to how some of you would have handled this on either end.

I'd of been pissed. When we give our season tickets to clients and such we do it with the expectation that they are going to use them. Otherwise, we'd sell them on our own (and we did that for the Yanks series a few weeks ago...made some nice cash).

Still if someone gives me tickets, I'm not going to sell them, especially for a profit.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
I'd of been pissed.  When we give our season tickets to clients and such we do it with the expectation that they are going to use them.  Otherwise, we'd sell them on our own (and we did that for the Yanks series a few weeks ago...made some nice cash). 

Still if someone gives me tickets, I'm not going to sell them, especially for a profit.

This is my stance also. Hell.. half the time we don't even make people pay for the tickets we don't use and give away.

:headshake

You expect the person sitting in your seats to act mature and with respect. That's why ST holders are picky about who they give their extras to. You cannot guarantee this when you don't know who will be sitting there. I'd be pissed as hell.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
This is my stance also. Hell.. half the time we don't even make people pay for the tickets we don't use and give away.

:headshake

Were the same way. I think it would be a little different if we gave the tickets to a friend and had them give us money, cause in a sense then they are there tix.

But when we do it, we'll call them up and ask if they want to go (never make them pay...hell most of the time we don't go it goes to clients anyway so its thing to offer).

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
You expect the person sitting in your seats to act mature and with respect. That's why ST holders are picky about who they give their extras to. You cannot guarantee this when you don't know who will be sitting there. I'd be pissed as hell.

Yea.. that was in the email also. This is why we rarely sell our tickets. To be honest we would rather the seats go empty then to give them to someone we don't know and run a risk.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Yea.. that was in the email also. This is why we rarely sell our tickets. To be honest we would rather the seats go empty then to give them to someone we don't know and run a risk.

Yeah, you give them to some asshole and then get dirty looks the next time you go to the game.

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
Yeah, you give them to some asshole and then get dirty looks the next time you go to the game.

Or if you're really unlucky, somebody pulls a William Ligue, Jr. from your seats and you lose them entirely!

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)

Pfftt.. won't make that mistake again. We almost got our tickets revoked after letting that guy from Michigan City sit there.. :ph34r:

I would ask for the money. All of it. You will then see what kind of frind that person really is. I got tickets for this Saturday's game from my uncle, but couldn't use them because after several false starts, we finally sold our house and are moving this weekend. The uncle is out of town, which is why I got the tickets, so instead I gave them to someone who I can (usually!) trust, Juddling! Enjoy Bill. I will be cusring you with every box or piece of furniture I move!

Oh, you could also report that 'friend' to the IRS for not reposting income, if you were so inclined. That could make for some interesting times at the next BBQ.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
I would ask for the money.  All of it.  You will then see what kind of frind that person really is.  I got tickets for this Saturday's game from my uncle, but couldn't use them because after several false starts, we finally sold our house and are moving this weekend.  The uncle is out of town, which is why I got the tickets, so instead I gave them to someone who I can (usually!) trust, Juddling!  Enjoy Bill.  I will be cusring you with every box or piece of furniture I move!

Oh, you could also report that 'friend' to the IRS for not reposting income, if you were so inclined.  That could make for some interesting times at the next BBQ.

I don't think that's quite enough $$ to require a 1099.. but it's interesting. I think he's going to confront him about it. Should be interesting...

Well... more drama.. but hopefully the friend gives him the name of the guy that bought them and it will all work out. He called his rep and said he lost the tickets. The Sox then canceled the issued tickets and he picked up re-prints yesterday. He called his "friend" and told him what he did and to give the guy back his money and tell the buyer to contact him directly and he'll sell him the tickets at face value. Naturally, the "friend" is super pissed and has gone on to involve a bunch of us ST holders (there's a group of 40 or so of us that have been friends for 10 years or so). It's getting ugly... :ph34r:

It's unfortunate, but it's starting to look like season ticket holders are going to have to tell the people they give tickets to that it's for their own use, not for resale, and so on. It sucks that it has come to a situation like that one.

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
It's unfortunate, but it's starting to look like season ticket holders are going to have to tell the people they give tickets to that it's for their own use, not for resale, and so on.  It sucks that it has come to a situation like that one.

And that sucks... what would ever give you the idea that someone else's season tickets are your commodities to sell again? You should know better, common sense should take over at that point. If the ST holder wanted to make money off of the tickets, why would they have given them to you at facevalue??? But its just like anything else now adays, people don't think of anyone but themselves.