Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Cheat,

No clue every Big 10 back that is in the top 5 gained a significant amount of yardage against non top 25 teams.

But on that same token, so did Reggie Bush and Deangelo.

I mean should Calhoun be penalized because unlike Young he put up good stats against the teams he was supposed to dominate?

Nobody can debate that anyone other than Calhoun was the best RB in the big ten this year. The guy flat out dominates.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
Not with that amazing offense and that equally amazing weak schedule.  They have an inside track to 11-0 and the BCS Title game if they take care of the things they should IMO.

I don't think a Big East team will get much credit from the voters. What is the schedule next year.

You dont rank teams on the fact that they can beat bad opponents.

You are supposed to rank them based on whether or not they could beat the opponent ranked below them.

For some reason I feel that if WVU was in a conference such as the ACC or Big 10 they would be looking at minimum 2 losses.

Honestly those are the 2 best conferences IMO, Big 12 has a huge drop off after Texas, Pac 10 big drop off after USC, and SEC just seems to have lost its identity.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
You dont rank teams on the fact that they can beat bad opponents.

You are supposed to rank them based on whether or not they could beat the opponent ranked below them.

For some reason I feel that if WVU was in a conference such as the ACC or Big 10 they would be looking at minimum 2 losses.

Honestly those are the 2 best conferences IMO, Big 12 has a huge drop off after Texas, Pac 10 big drop off after USC, and SEC just seems to have lost its identity.

SB

If you're going by teams they should beat, ISU would've been playing in January. Don't underestimate the power of crapping out.

List of best RB's in the Big Ten in 2006:

1. Brian Calhoun (he'll be back right?)

2. Albert Young (Although not enough people know it yet)

3. Gary Russell (Minnesota might be glad Maroney is going pro)

4. Tyrell Sutton (he'll be much better next year with a year under his belt)

5. Mike Hart

Hart was made of glass this year after pulling off the incredible feat of having a really good freshman year behind maybe the best line in college football in 2004 and with Jason Avant, the good version of Steve Breaston, and that Braylon Edwards guy catching passes.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
List of best RB's in the Big Ten in 2006:

1. Brian Calhoun (he'll be back right?)

2. Albert Young (Although not enough people know it yet)

3. Gary Russell (Minnesota might be glad Maroney is going pro)

4. Tyrell Sutton (he'll be much better next year with a year under his belt)

5. Mike Hart

Hart was made of glass this year after pulling off the incredible feat of having a really good freshman year behind maybe the best line in college football in 2004 and with Jason Avant, the good version of Steve Breaston, and that Braylon Edwards guy catching passes.

When he was healthy though he had a great year.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
I don't think a Big East team will get much credit from the voters. What is the schedule next year.

I'd agree, except if they are 11-0 (EDIT: I guess 12-0) and one of the only 2 (or the only) undefeated team in America, they will make the top 2.

Here is their schedule btw:

2006 Season (12 Games)

Currently 7 Home - 5 Away Date Opponent Site Conference

9/2/06 Marshall H C-USA

TBA Maryland H ACC

TBA Buffalo H MAC

TBA East Carolina A C-USA

TBA Mississippi State A SEC

TBA Louisville A Big East

TBA Cincinnati H Big East

TBA Rutgers H Big East

TBA Syracuse H Big East

TBA UConn A Big East

TBA Pitt A Big East

TBA South Florida H Big East

At Louisville will be a VERY tough game, but besides that, what? At Wanny? USF to close at home? Maryland at home to open might be close, but I doubt it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
Cheat,

No clue every Big 10 back that is in the top 5 gained a significant amount of yardage against non top 25 teams.

But on that same token, so did Reggie Bush and Deangelo.

I mean should Calhoun be penalized because unlike Young he put up good stats against the teams he was supposed to dominate?

He's referring to Albert Young. Ie, the Hawkeyes sophmore running back who led the big 10 in rushing (in actual conference games).

I don't want to clutter up the board, but would it be possible to have a recruiting thread? It could be seperate for b-ball and f-ball, or we could just combine them in one thread. I dunno, it might just be me not wanting to let go of college football yet.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
I don't want to clutter up the board, but would it be possible to have a recruiting thread? It could be seperate for b-ball and f-ball, or we could just combine them in one thread. I dunno, it might just be me not wanting to let go of college football yet.

I think that's a fantastic idea.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)

Definitely an awesome idea. ^^^

Sounds cool. I'm thinking we can use it for football during the off-season and than during basketballs in-season any basketball recruiting stuff can go in the basketball thread?

That or one big old generic recruiting thread. Only one rule...make sure to keep me updated on Iowa and ND's recruiting since I don't follow much in terms of recruiting :)

Make the post and I'll pin it :)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
Only one rule...make sure to keep me updated on Iowa and ND's recruiting since I don't follow much in terms of recruiting :)

ND is putting together an awesome class, currently top 5-10 in the nation.

Iowa is currently ranked lower than Illinois. :P They stand 8th in the B10 but that is sure to change.

Hmmm, according to a Random blurb in the LA Times about police activity during the Rose Bowl...there's a strong suggestion that Pasadena is starting to plan for the death of the BCS and the birth of a 1 game post bowl playoff.

(Pasadena Mayor Bill) Bogaard said that under a new arrangement, the Rose Bowl may hold two bowl games, including the national championship, beginning in four years. He said he expected that the parade and bowl would return to the same day, with the last game, the championship, 10 days later.

"Pasadena was delighted with the participation of fans in the entire celebration, and was well prepared for the kind of events that occurred in connection with the game," Bogaard said.

"Obviously, when the parties go on for an extended period of time, there will be some persons who overdo. Pasadena is prepared to deal with those situations. The important thing is that these events are part of a great college football tradition and don't seriously detract from the great enjoyment that Pasadena offers the world each year."

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
When he was healthy though he had a great year.

He had ONE good year and you are calling him a proven back and a heisman candidate. Thats the point, nobody is questioning that he is a good running back, he had a good freshman year and a BAD soph year. Even if he was injured, he still had 150 attempts which is still a full season for some backs. You, on the other hand, are saying that Hart is now one of the best players in the country moving forward. Thats ridiculous considering hes not even the best RB in the big ten, not even in the top 10 players in the big ten, so it makes no sense for you to make Heisman claims. You need to come to terms with that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
He had ONE good year and you are calling him a proven back and a heisman candidate.  Thats the point, nobody is questioning that he is a good running back, he had a good freshman year and a BAD soph year.  Even if he was injured,  he still had 150 attempts which is still a full season for some backs.  You, on the other hand, are saying that Hart is now one of the best players in the country moving forward.  Thats ridiculous considering hes not even the best RB in the big ten, not even in the top 10 players in the big ten, so it makes no sense for you to make Heisman claims.  You need to come to terms with that.

Um you do realize he was injured. Had he been healthy all year he would've gone over 1,500 yards.

MICHAEL ROSENBERG: Carr will shuffle assistants

U-M coach steamed about fall from glory

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

January 6, 2006

The Michigan football team lost five games in 2005, which is at least five more than the die-hards can stand.

Lloyd Carr is about to do something about it.

Since the season ended, Carr has met with each of his coaches individually and told them he will make changes to his staff. That probably doesn't mean outright firings, but it will mean a significant shuffling of responsibilities.

Like demoting a coordinator.

Maybe even two.

I don't know what the specific changes will be. Carr is notoriously tight-lipped -- his left brain doesn't even speak to his right brain without security clearance. But I expect either offensive coordinator Terry Malone and defensive coordinator Jim Herrmann to get demoted. (And if the demoted aren't happy about it, they are always free to quit.)

Michigan is 7-7 in its past 14 games, and Herrmann's defense has blown fourth-quarter leads in four of those losses. (And in another -- at Ohio State in 2004 -- the team allowed 34 points in the first three quarters.)

Carr was furious after his defense allowed 38 points in last year's Rose Bowl. What is the word for beyond furious? Ultra-furious? He and Herrmann always have been close, but this is college football. Coordinators don't get lifetime contracts.

Malone put together highly successful offenses in his first three seasons, but struggled in 2005. Then again, he had an excuse. Malone lost his best player (tailback Mike Hart) and arguably his best lineman (Jake Long) for extended stretches because of injuries.

So based on recent track record, Herrmann is more likely to go.

But Malone would be easier to replace. Carr's ideal replacement is probably already on the staff.

His name is Mike DeBord. He was Michigan's offensive coordinator in 1997-99, when the Wolverines went 32-5.

DeBord then left to be Central Michigan's head coach. But he and Carr remained close, personally and philosophically. DeBord returned to the staff last season as special-teams coach and recruiting coordinator.

It would be easy for Carr to promote DeBord and find another spot for Malone. I don't think it would be fair to Malone, but it would be easy.

There is a precedent. After U-M went 8-4 in 2001, Carr demoted offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Stan Parrish to quarterbacks coach/guy-who-isn't-allowed-near-the-playbook-anymore. Parrish promptly quit.

Now, after his worst season as a head coach, Carr will shuffle the staff again -- unless he changes his mind, but changing his mind never has been one of Carr's favorite pastimes.

If there is good news for Carr these days, it's that fewer people are speculating about his retirement. The man just went 7-5. I don't know what it would take for him to leave on that note, but I'm guessing it would be a heart attack, a stroke, a couple of aneurysms and severe repercussions from eating too much Taco Bell.

Carr, 60, is too competitive to leave now, and too secure in his job to get fired.

He's not leaving. And he shouldn't. (He did go to back-to-back Rose Bowls before the 2005 debacle.) But 2005 revealed some flaws in the Michigan machine -- a defense that hasn't scared a great team in years, an offense that doesn't go for the knockout punch enough and an overall philosophy that needs tweaking.

One myth about Carr is that he is content to contend for Big Ten championships. As a reporter, I kind of wish that were the case -- he would be a lot more fun to deal with after those nonconference losses. But the truth is that Carr is as hungry for a national title as anybody else on campus.

I haven't talked to him since the Alamo Bowl, but I feel safe saying he is as mad about the 7-5 season as anybody else. How mad? Somebody on his staff is about to find out.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG at 313-222-6052 or [email protected].

yes. Thank God! I couldn't stand Malone.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Um you do realize he was injured.  Had he been healthy all year he would've gone over 1,500 yards.

Where do you get that information? Based on your "predictions" I would guess pulling it out of your ass. His yards/carry were at the bottom of the conference. hurt or not, you are full of it, the RB at Indiana outperformed him on similar attempts. Would he have gotten 1500 yards if he carried the ball more too??

Next thing im going to hear is that Jason Avant is the best WR in the nation.