Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing is that a ton of ND fans are b****ing that they got screwed. The whole game, they were the definite benefit of a majority of the calls. Kudos to the officiating crew for keeping their composure in the last few seconds, even though I'm not so sure if the ball should have been spotted on the one. Of course, I'm still confused why the clock started up again after the fumble.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
The funny thing is that a ton of ND fans are b****ing that they got screwed.  The whole game, they were the definite benefit of a majority of the calls.  Kudos to the officiating crew for keeping their composure in the last few seconds, and making the right calls.

I watched more of the Michigan game, but there was one call where I nearly threw my remote at the TV.

ND had 3rd and 20 deep in their own end, there appeared to be a fumble. And a huge scrum ensued trying to get the ball. -- Players from both sides were pulling the other teams players off the pile. I saw punches thrown and one guy appeared to kick another player who was on the ground. The whole time the refs were trying to figure out who had the ball. Eventually they ruled ND had recovered. 4th and a bajillion. -- Oh wait there was ONE personal foul on the play. It just happens to be on USC. First down ND.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
I watched more of the Michigan game, but there was one call where I nearly threw my remote at the TV.

ND had 3rd and 20 deep in their own end, there appeared to be a fumble. And a huge scrum ensued trying to get the ball. -- Players from both sides were pulling the other teams players off the pile. I saw punches thrown and one guy appeared to kick another player who was on the ground. The whole time the refs were trying to figure out who had the ball. Eventually they ruled ND had recovered. 4th and a bajillion. -- Oh wait there was ONE personal foul on the play. It just happens to be on USC. First down ND.

If you go back and look in this thread, you'll see that I nominated that play as the 2nd worst officiated play I've seen this week.

Yeah the officials got it right at the end. 2 great games down to the wire today. Michigan/Penn State, and USC/Notre Dame. That may have been the greatest Michigan won I've seen, I'm trying to remember others since the early 1990's. They lost a bunch of great games, one to Colorado in the mid 90's, one to Northwestern in the late 90's which is probably the greatest conference game I've watched. Then another where they got screwed in Michigan State with the infamous 1 second left. I never thought that 1 second could last 3 seconds, but whatever.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 15, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)

Yeah, Notre Dame seems to get a lot of calls go their way whenever I watch them. I don't watch them a lot because I'd rather see other teams play. So that's just a statement out of what games I've seen in the past.

So I've finally unwound from the sports day that I just had...tailgating, then USC v. ND, then the white sox. And I just have a few things to say about the ND game:

1) In response to fathom, I don't think many of us were b****ing that we got screwed after the fact. At the time, ya people were flipping out but you have to realize when you see that clock hit zero and your team with more points than U S fricken C you're gonna get pretty hyped...and to go from that to what happened thirty seconds later is devastating. After the fact though, we've all pretty much realized that we were the ones that lost the game. We were about 2inches from breaking up a 4th and 9, we missed a FG, made some bad plays, all in all we didn't play our best game (i'm not saying usc did either). We had plenty of chances to end it ourselves.

2) I know a lot of people say that we always get the calls. I dont really understand how that stereotype was developed but consider the facts: the opposing team's refs come (their conference refs) to our home games and the opposing team basically choose the rules (option for replay or not). Through all of that I dont understand how we get an unfair advantage. If we get the benefit of the doubt at all it's because we're a storied program....but don't tell me that doesn't apply to the Michigan, USCs, and Miami's of the world.

3) Plus what have we ever done to garner this much hate? Do we plant flags in people's fields? Do we block the bands of opposing teams? Does our team EVER do anything that makes you think "man those guys are assholes"? I mean really, you see some pretty cocky/arrogant/asshole moves by pretty much every other team in the country...they act like they've never been there before (ESPECIALLY USC....i mean they haven't lost in two and a half years and they're still celebrating touchdowns like they've just reinvented the wheel). Not so much that I care what others think, I just think that if you're going to hate ND don't hate the players...they've done nothing to deserve that.

3) This was the most ridiculous sporting event I have ever been at. Unbelievably loud, emotional, everything you could ever ask for. It will be a long time before I'm at a better game. Truly a great game, and a great atmosphere

4) This is the turning point for our program, even with a loss. USC is one of the greatest teams of our time and we were thisclose to upsetting them...with a team no one believed in at the beginning of the season. That's unbelievable. But in the grand scheme of things, this is a positive for us. We had dozens of recruits on campus today...if they don't commit here after witnessing that game they need to get their head checked. We have a coaching staff that can match anyone with the x's and o's. And most importantly, we've got that swagger back. There's just an "it" factor that came out of today.

I can't say that I'm not down. You obviously want your team to knock off the best in the land, rush your field and go nuts. But I'm damn proud of my team, damn proud of my program, and damn proud to say that it was one heck of a game. And like I've hinted at...this is only the beginning. Notre Dame is back, we will win out, and we will go to a BCS. And that's only the start of our return. At the end of the day, you can't hang your head about that.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I've run through pretty much every emotion today, so it was nice to get it out. :D

Edited by Fotop

FSU lost too. Normally I'd be bummed but a) they really dont have a nat'l champ team, b.) they still have a chance at the BCS because of the ACC champ game, and c) the :gosox3: :gosox3: :gosox3: are so f***ing close to the series.

Edited by Spiff

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
All those Michigan doubters can now kiss my ass.  We are going to win the Big Ten!!!!!!!!  Look out Big Ten.  PSU and OSU had a chance to run away with this thing and now Michigan is back!!

ha

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
All those Michigan doubters can now kiss my ass.  We are going to win the Big Ten!!!!!!!!  Look out Big Ten.  PSU and OSU had a chance to run away with this thing and now Michigan is back!!

Whose "we"? And No, they aren't.

QUOTE(Fotop @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 07:07 AM)
So I've finally unwound from the sports day that I just had...tailgating, then USC v. ND, then the white sox. And I just have a few things to say about the ND game:

1) In response to fathom, I don't think many of us were b****ing that we got screwed after the fact. At the time, ya people were flipping out but you have to realize when you see that clock hit zero and your team with more points than U S fricken C you're gonna get pretty hyped...and to go from that to what happened thirty seconds later is devastating. After the fact though, we've all pretty much realized that we were the ones that lost the game. We were about 2inches from breaking up a 4th and 9, we missed a FG, made some bad plays, all in all we didn't play our best game (i'm not saying usc did either). We had plenty of chances to end it ourselves.

Some people on ndnation are acting like it was the worst officiated game in history. But kudos to you...at least your realize it was a fantastic game and that these teams will likely play quite a few top 10 duals in the next few years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Some people on ndnation are acting like it was the worst officiated game in history.  But kudos to you...at least your realize it was a fantastic game and that these teams will likely play quite a few top 10 duals in the next few years.

oh ndnation...that board can get out of hand sometimes, and by sometimes i mean daily. :P

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)

They have as good of a chance to win the Big Ten as Iowa State does.